Your Email Address:

First Name:

I want to buy an OralChroma

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
thanatos
God
I want to buy an OralChroma

Post by thanatos »

I recall reading that the Halimter costs $1,500. What would the OralChroma cost?
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bloorain
Advanced

Post by Bloorain »

Larc400 - where did you rent your halimeter machine from. And was it really expensive. I didn't even know you could rent them. Thanks!
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Oh, you can't normally rent them but I convinced my local bb centre to lend me one which they didn't use...
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

expensive
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

I contacted the manufacturer of the OralChroma:
I live in the United States & am merely a consumer
with no practice/dental business.

I am a sufferer of chronic halitosis & am in much need
to purchase the OralChroma measuring device for
personal use.

Please get back to me.

They responded:

Thank you for your inquiry about OralChroma.
OralChroma is designed for laboratory use, scientists and
professionals, to measure three gas compounds which are correlated to Halitosis. Operation is very simple and easy, but understanding of Volatile Sulfide Compounds, gas Chromatography and oral malodor is very helpful to use this scientific device. The price is $5,680 plus shipping and duties. Please let me know if you would like to go through some technical information.

Best regards,
I will be purchasing this device when I get the money sometime at the end of the year.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

When I do buy this, I plan of spending a lot of time testing every single product, one by one. I'll probably do something like spend several days testing out one product before moving onto the next one.

I'll take before and after readings for each test.

I'll use every product, all types of teas, all types of gums, yogurts, everything I can until I find out what works and does not work for me.

So many people spend money on breath clinics, but spending less on this device would help them so much more, imo.
Help

Post by Help »

thanatos wrote:When I do buy this, I plan of spending a lot of time testing every single product, one by one. I'll probably do something like spend several days testing out one product before moving onto the next one.

I'll take before and after readings for each test.

I'll use every product, all types of teas, all types of gums, yogurts, everything I can until I find out what works and does not work for me.

So many people spend money on breath clinics, but spending less on this device would help them so much more, imo.
Thanks for taking the iinitiative Thanatos...that would be helpful to a lot of ppl in here!! \:D/
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

that is great thanatos
mizz123
Junior

Post by mizz123 »

Thanatos that is a great idea. I wish I could afford one of those. Please always let us know how everything goes. I use one of those small ones from restoration hardware. It always goes off like an alarm. So I know my breath is always terrible. Once in a while I will get a smiley face. : ( ](*,)
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

Guys, never assume anything works until you have tried it!!!

We don't all have the same breath volatiles. If Fresh breath clinics can claim they cure 99% of their patients then halitosis instrument manufacturers can claim their device works in 99% of patients.

My advice is to trial the instrument you plan to buy otherwise you will feel very let down and hurt when it doesn't work for you. Despite all the hype, there is a lot of uncertainty about the use of thee instruments. Don't believe dental journals that were sponsored by instrument manufacturers or fresh breath clinics!

Lark, I am assuming from your comments that the Halimeter did work for you? What were your readings and were they higher than normal? Did anything make any difference to the readings?
Arun
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Hi Arun...
Yeah I guess the Halimeter picked up some of my volatiles. The OralChroma should be more specific though.
With the Halimeter, I normally had values of 250-400 or so, and no, I didn't find anything that consistantly made it acceptable (<100). I wasn't as thorough as I should have been though :oops:
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

I met Dr Tangerman at the ISBOR conference in London some years back. He recently reviewed the Oralchroma and said it's software needs a major revision.

"Sometimes, the concentrations given for the different VSCs are completely incorrect due to a wrong assignment of the place of the VSCs in the chromatogram".

Print publication: Issue 1 (March 2008)
The portable gas chromatograph OralChroma™: a method of choice to detect oral and extra-oral halitosis

A Tangerman et al 2008 J. Breath Res. 2 017010 (6pp)
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Still a pretty good review though, it seems. I guess any software updates will be sent to customers... or however these things work 8-[
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

Guys, in a study of 58 patients who complained of halitosis, 81% had halitosis of oral origin, 10% had halitosis which did not originate from the mouth and 9% had no halitosis (halitophobia)

In patients with bb that comes from the mouth the main gas responsible is methyl mercaptan. In patients whose bb comes from somewhere else (bloodborne etc) the main gas responsible is dimethylsulfide.

Halimeter can detect methylmercaptan but is no good for detecting dimethylsulfide. Oralchroma can detect both but is hardly a state of the art instrument.
Arun

J Clin Periodontol. 2007 Sep ;34 (9):748-55 17716310 (P,S,E,B,D) Intra- and extra-oral halitosis: finding of a new form of extra-oral blood-borne halitosis caused by dimethyl sulphide.

[My paper] Albert Tangerman, Edwin G Winkel
Aim: The aim of this study was to unravel the origen and cause of intra-oral and extra-oral halitosis. Material and Methods: We studied 58 patients complaining of halitosis, using gas chromatography of volatile sulphur compounds (VSCs) in mouth and nose breath, organoleptic scoring of mouth and nose breath, Halimeter((R)) readings of mouth air and tongue-coating inspection. Subjects had no precence or history of periodontitis. Result: Of 58 patients, 47 patients had halitosis of oral origin, six had halitosis of extra-oral origin and five had no halitosis (halitophobia). A strong correlation was found between the degree of intra-oral halitosis as measured by organoleptic scoring of mouth breath and the concentration of the VSCs hydrogen sulphide (H(2)S) and methyl mercaptan (CH(3)SH) in mouth breath. Taking into account the much larger odour index of CH(3)SH, it was concluded that CH(3)SH is the main contributor to intra-oral halitosis. In all six cases of extra-oral halitosis, halitosis was caused by the presence of elevated levels of dimethyl sulphide (CH(3)SCH(3)) in mouth and nose breath.

Conclusion: Our study provides evidence that the VSC, CH(3)SH and to a lesser extent H(2)S are the main contributors to intra-oral halitosis and that CH(3)SCH(3) is the main contributor to extra-oral or blood-borne halitosis, due to a hitherto unknown metabolic disorder.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

I know 42, these instruments might be innacurate if you ask me.

But still I encourage him to buy it. At least somebody of use will have it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic