Your Email Address:

First Name:

Wisdom Teeth Extraction Cured My Nasal Bad Breath

Tell us your story with bad breath
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

I have looked all over the internet, and in general physiology texts, but I can't find any good information on how the tonsils actually work in detail.

Considering that tonsilar crypts are the result of millions of years of evolution, it seems reasonable that they serve a function. It seems possible to me that tonsil stones are a natural attempt by the body to fight off the infection occuring elsewhere in the mouth causing the BB. The tonsils stones themselves will smell because of the bacteria contained in them, but i'm beginning to think that maybe they aren't the primary "source" of the problem in most cases.

This would explain why so many people fail to be cured after a tonsillectomy.

Perhaps starting with the wisdom teeth does make more sense, especially considering the procedure itself is easier to tolerate and that the recovery time is shorter.

Just a thought.

DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Thanks Cured,

I got my tonsil removed Nov. 2. It got rid of tonsil stones smell but still have another smell that does go away.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Drastic,
Thanx for your previous reply and i hope my advice to you will help. You have so much to go on still for the new year so just hang in there calmly and professionally and im sure that eventually you'll get to the root of your cause(s).

Hey TeamZissou,
From what i've gathered over the years, the tonsils (including adenoids etc) sit there sampling the bacteria we're exposed to allowing the immune system to produce antibodies for the bacteria which manage to be "cultured" within them. I've read some evidence that tonsilloliths are directly related to this process, and some which state that they are derived from the chemicals associated with bacterial activity.
In a situation where (for whatever reason) there is bacterial overgrowth on the tongue, that could explain why BB is commonly associated with tonsilloiths, but rarely (if ever) found to be attributed to them.
My personal opinion, having noticed no difference whatsoever to my BB after my tonsillectomy, i tend towards the opinion that tonsilloliths are directly attributable/proportional to the bacterial activity within the vicinity of these areas.
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

hey Cured...when you had wisdom teeth and bb, would your bb go away after you had a meal? and slowly creep back in?
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

hello wrote:hey Cured...when you had wisdom teeth and bb, would your bb go away after you had a meal? and slowly creep back in?
It was more or less on and off every day, so I guess back then I didn't really tie it in with eating too much, though now in retrospect I think it's fair to say food relieved it temporarily (that is only in the very act of eating), and then it crept back in after the meal, but on second thought if I was sitting next to somebody eating, sometimes they'd be nailed by an occasional whiff if they were sitting pretty close if I opened my mouth. So back then I had contradicting evidence in terms of eating/food as instigator or reliever.
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

sorry one more question...wud u describe your mouth feel/taste during those times as sour/bitter or metalic like?
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

hello wrote:sorry one more question...wud u describe your mouth feel/taste during those times as sour/bitter or metalic like?
Not really no...I never had any distinctly odd tastes in my mouth when I had the problem. Or if I did, I may have gotten habituated to it so that I no longer tasted it as such. I don't really think it's possible for anyone to have any constant taste or smell 24/7 without becoming habituated to if we endure it long enough. It's a coping mechanism of the brain/body.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

By the way, it's been a while since I updated my improvement...

I'm now a little over ten months post extraction, and when I place my fingers on the bottom sockets I can still feel them still filling in slowly, but there isn't a whole lot left to fill in (the top ones have long filled in and sealed up).

For all practical considerations, this (bad breath) problem has ceased to exist for me. Whereas before the extraction I was in constant terror of nailing people in the nose whenever I opened my mouth, and would be surprised when my breath wasn't bad, I now get surprised when it causes a slight reaction once every few days or so. I know it isn't bad 96-98% of the time now, and so don't expect it to be. And even when it is slightly, it isn't that bad at all.

The improvement has gone up from the previous 90% rating as the bottom sockets continued closing up, especially in the last month or so. The bottom sockets have been so excruciatingly slow to fill in that they've thrown in me into doubt some days, but they've filled in nicely the last month or so and with that has come a large relative improvement. So my confidence was restored that one day soon will seal the lid on this problem for 100.0% good.

Essentially, the only times anymore when my breath even beomes slightly detectable as bothersome is after drinking hot tea or carbonated cola. These drinks use to cause me major agony back in the day so the fact that they still do doesn't suprise me. I just understand it to be a dying effect on my breath that is now one ten-thousandths the strength it used to be. And to be quite honest, I now have the luxury to still drink them even when I know they still rouse the bad breath slightly because I know it isn't 'that bad' and only getting better with time.

When I see a friend or a person approaching I confidently perk up now, instead of cowering and becoming avoidant. Things have essentially come full circle for me, with a complete undoing of all the conscious changes I used to make in my behavior to accomodate my uncontrollable bad breath and other people. It has taken almost a year, but day by day it has happpened! There are still sub-conscious effects of course, including emotional trauma I believe, that will still come undone with time and forgetfulness.

I still thank God everyday for listening to my prayers and healing me of this curse that essentially made me a prisoner of my own life for 6-8 years. He knew the exact cause all along even though, I'm convinced, no doctor or dentist ever would have. And nobody was going to suggest extracting my wisdom teeth to cure this problem: it was clearly out of reach of all medical or dental knowledge and expertise.

I'm thankful for where I am in life right now, although I know it could be a lot better, but at least I can get back to living it free from these shackles for God's sake.

I look forward to the day I can come back here and say that my breath can't even become even a tad bothersome anymore, even with my every effort to make it so...lol. I will do my best to stay here till that time and answer questions and concerns and in general offer advice where it can be had. After that time, God only knows...

Peace, my friends
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Congratulations and thanks for providing so much excellent information and inspiration. Happy 2009 and beyond.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

thanks cured for your update. Wish you all the very best.

Drastic
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi all,

With all this talk of wisdom teeth I had to go back to Cured's original postings.

Cured made some valid points long before anyone else claimed they were cured by wisdoms and I think we deserve to look back at his original postings.

-
Chronic bad breath that is more or even exclusively detectable to you or others through your nose rather than your mouth can easily fool you into believing it must originate from your nasal passages or sinuses (it sure fooled me, hence all my desperate measures putting stuff up my nose), when that is rarely ever the case. For a long time I argued with my ENT about the effectiveness of non-nasal treatments since I swore the odor came from my nose. He would continue to insist that most breath odors originate in the mouth. It turns out he was right, even though he failed to identify the oral source, ultimately. The reason the odor was more detectable in my nose was simply that the position of the wisdom teeth in the mouth is close to the nasal openings. This is also true with the upper, rear surface of the tongue. There are very few truly nasal sources of halitosis. The only remotely common ones are a foreign object or sinusitis, and both of these can be cleared up relatively quickly. If the odor persists after this, it isn't from your nose or sinuses. Some have suggested allergic rhinitis as a cause of nasal halitosis: I'm very doubtful of this.

Especially with the odour being detectable thru the nose.

I know some people have wisdom teeth problems and their odour isnt detectable thru the nose but could there be a reason for that like e.g. they might only have 1 wisdom or 2 wisdom teeth left that was giving them problems. Not all four at the same time.

Based on Cured's story he had all 4 wisdoms and he extracted all 4 wisdom teeth. He also had odour thru nose like nasal odor.

He described as
cheesy, pungent bluecheese or parmesan cheese

I cant help it but I do have the same odour stuck in my nose too. When I rub the nose pores on my skin of nose I get a cheesy odour.

I cant help if all these years I missed the wisdom teeth as a true cause.

Thanks Cured for your story and making us all aware.

Drastic
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

DRASTIC wrote:Thanks Cured for your story and making us all aware.
You're welcome... :)
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

I just wanted to pop this thread back up into existence, since there has been so much talk of wisdom teeth removal.
Cured, are you out there? Are you still feeling 98% better relating to bb?
My heart is racing as my story is VERY similar to yours.
First semester at college, home for Thanksgiving, throbbing pain in my mouth. I go to an emergency dentist (it was a shady place) but he pulled only my 2 bottom wisdoms out. I had gaping holes and no stitches. Food got stuck there. I was 18 and this is when my horror with bb began. I finally healed, but bb remained. My life has been a total hell and I am now 33!!! Had tonsils out, takens so many supplements, I can list all the things I've tried, you all know them and have tried them too.
(I've luckily met a great man and recently had a baby, but he loves me anyway. I just don't want my child to be burdened with this breath)
Cured, from your experience with extraction and my story, do you think having my top 2 wisdom teeth pulled will help? I have an appt. this Monday at the dentist and I'm preparing to be aggressive, as I've been to SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many doctors/dentists and cave when they say "I don't smell anything" and look at me like I'm crazy. I don't have haliphobia, I have this breath and my life of horrible reactions and comments is enough proof. If you read this today, please give my your advice on how to convince my dentist to refer me or do it himself. I want to sound informed and not back down. I'm such a pushover when its time to be assertive. Probably all the lack of confidence I've experienced over the years because of BB.
Hopefulnblessed, have you read this thread. Jimi, I've seen your comments. Did you have your tooth pulled at your last appt. or just some laser work on the gums? Drastic, where are you at with your issues? Wish me luck on the new endeavor on Monday, my 1,000th one it seems!
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

mindyb wrote:Cured, are you out there?
Of course...
Are you still feeling 98% better relating to bb?
Still, yes, absolutely.
Cured, from your experience with extraction and my story, do you think having my top 2 wisdom teeth pulled will help?
I don't know. Your story makes it sound like your bad breath originated with what that dentist did, and if that's case, I don't see how your top two remaining wisdom teeth could be the problem if he didn't touch those.

Otherwise...maybe...
please give my your advice on how to convince my dentist to refer me or do it himself. I want to sound informed and not back down.
You kind of have to feel them out...they'll either come easy or come hard. Those who come easy with you address them up front and tell them you complain of certain breath symptoms and want to check whether your wisdom teeth are impacted and could be causing problems with cleaning around them. The point is to emphasize the fact that you:

A) have a problem
B) are powerless to clean or otherwise overcome it yourself

That reasoning should be convincing enough, as long as you stay logical and explain how impaction of your wisdom teeth could be causing this problem. For those who want to play hardball and think they know better, if you think they're a good dentist otherwise, then be a good patient and follow their advice on what to do to get rid of your bad breath. The next visit, come back and tell them it didn't work and then ask for another solution...keep them moving down the list till they throw up their arms and cave in to your suggestion. Whether you really try their alternative suggestions in the meantime is entirely up to you (I would give them a genuine shot).

Good luck now...
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Cured,

I read from your original posting that you had your wisdoms extracted in February.

Can you tell me how long before you noticed any change in your bb?
Any change like slight change or any change in your bb?

I recently got my new dentist to write a referral letter to the hospital to get them removed.

I didnt eevn have to convince the dentist really. He just looked at it and agreed the problems.

So, he wrote me a referral letter.

Drastic
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic