Your Email Address:

First Name:

Wisdom Teeth Extraction Cured My Nasal Bad Breath

Tell us your story with bad breath
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi Cured,

I was wondering if you had any issues with your top wisdom teeth's roots invading your sinuses?

My wisdom teeth are easy to clean as they're not crammed into the back of my mouth as I had extractions as a kid. I also don't have any pockets or flaps around these teeth.

The only possibility is the fact that their roots are in my sinuses, although my dentist tells me this isn't a problem. The top teeth don't seem to be all the way through my gums either, I don't mean that there are gum flaps or that they're impacted (my dentist says that they're fully erupted), but I'd say there's probably only 50% of the tooth out, and the gums are tight around them, no opportunity for food or bacteria to get up there.

The only thing I have to go on, is that the roots are up in my sinuses and I have a bad taste around them, but strangely, no smell when I floss around them or rub my finger near them.

I'm considering getting them extracted, but I'm unsure about this 'cos there's no smell, pockets, or flaps around them and they're easy enough to clean.

Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

I forgot to mention, I also get a strange nasal odour, particularly when I bend forward. It's not a cheesy smell, it's closer to wet dog, mothballs or a damp umbrella...weird!
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

DRASTIC wrote:Can you tell me how long before you noticed any change in your bb?Any change like slight change or any change in your bb?
The change was felt right away. I went home after the extraction with the gauzes still in my mouth, sat home to watch TV for a few hours while the anesthesia wore off and the bleeding stopped. After about an hour or two I started sniffing around my nose and mouth and no more of that slight cheesy aroma. That made me hopeful right away, but the true verdict came in the next day when I went to work and people stopped rubbing their noses when I talked to them.
So, he wrote me a referral letter.
Good luck with that DRASTIC, let me know of the outcome as well...here's crossing two fingers for you.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

Snobuni wrote:I was wondering if you had any issues with your top wisdom teeth's roots invading your sinuses?
No, it's not to my knowledge there was actual penetration through, though one ENT told me my teeth sat very high in my jaw, just millimeters from my sinuses. When the teeth came out there was a time that I felt that barrier was about paper thin because as the sockets were healing I'd all of a sudden get a pressure buildup in my sinuses, following by an instant release and a foul smell. But I still don't believe there was ever penetration.

Only a sinus/maxillofacial CT scan can prove definitively whether there is invasion or not, but it's not natural for the teeth (or their roots) to actually penetrate the barrier into the sinuses and for people to be walking around like this. This kind of thing would cause a severe sinus infection right away and you'd know it. The body's "natural" state, if you will, is to build a barrier between the teeth and the sinuses, no matter what it looks like or how thin...it's there. Only trauma (such as an extraction) can damage or otherwise put a hole in that barrier in theory.

In the same way, you'll never see anyone whose fingernails don't grow back after being cut. Our body is programmed to grow them back because we have to have them. The sinus/tooth barrier is the same.

I've seen it bandied about here on the forum a few times here and there in discussions recently that people might just be walking around with a hold between their sinuses and teeth. As we said, I believe this to be false, and is a situation that just doesn't happen and if it existed couldn't continue long-term without being noticed.
My wisdom teeth are easy to clean as they're not crammed into the back of my mouth as I had extractions as a kid. I also don't have any pockets or flaps around these teeth.
Bacterial pockets certainly play a role, but the key question is always whether or not the wisdom teeth are impacted or fully erupted. It's the impaction that will jam food debris in there for years where you can't brush or floss it away. But if they're fully erupted they should behave just like all the rest of your teeth.

I'm not recommending you extract your teeth....not by any means...just trying to square the discussion. Hope this helps.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Cured,

Thanks alot for all your response and well wishes.

I just wanted to find out if before wisdom extractions you had ever been to the dentist for a deep clean and the dentist only spent 5 minutes on your teeth?

And after any dental cleaning your bb got worst?

I had that experience last year and was quite puzzled by it and wanted to find out if you had the same experience?

Thanks,

Drastic
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi Cured,

Thanks for your reply, I've since been to a new dentist who took x-rays of my back teeth. All of the roots of my back teeth are well up inside my sinuses, but my dentist says this is perfectly normal (as did my previous dentist). He could also see straight away that my top wisdom teeth are impacted and, from looking at the x-rays, that I have large pockets around them. I'm having them extracted tomorrow, and will see how this effects my bb. I think I need to ask how this will effect the communication between my sinuses and gums though, as I suspect this could potentially cause short terms problems with cross infection.

Are you still enjoying a bb free life? It's pretty cool that this worked out for you, hopefully it will help me too.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Good luck today ;)
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Thanks Hali, I'll let you know how it goes. :)
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Good luck today Snobuni.

All the best.

Drastic
klif

Post by klif »

Joining with best wishes also ;)
prey
Junior

Post by prey »

good luck snobuni!
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

Snobuni wrote:Are you still enjoying a bb free life? It's pretty cool that this worked out for you, hopefully it will help me too.
Yes...I hope this is it for you :D
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

DRASTIC wrote:I just wanted to find out if before wisdom extractions you had ever been to the dentist for a deep clean and the dentist only spent 5 minutes on your teeth?
Heck no, my cleaning sessions with the hygienist often ran 30-40+ minutes. By the time all was said and done I was there an hour each time.
And after any dental cleaning your bb got worst?
Nope, never.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

so is there anybody new who is cured, what is with IVA, i still dont know if she is cured or not, I cant decide to pull my molar or not, so confusing, for now only 2 people are cured of bb.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Jimi,

If I had no stomach issues, I would be cured after the wisdom extraction. Now I know it for sure. I think that u have nothing to lose, give it a try!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic