Your Email Address:

First Name:

Listerine Invented Bad Breath

Stupid posts goes here - Feed it to the frogs?
Wait frogs? What the hell. Only the frogs will read them.
Speak_no_evil

Listerine Invented Bad Breath

Post by Speak_no_evil »

I read this on Wiki. I suffer for capitalism. :roll:

Listerine was invented in the 19th century as a powerful surgical antiseptic. It was later sold, in a very distilled form, as a floor cleaner and a cure for gonorrhea. But it wasn't a runaway success until the 1920s, when it was pitched as a solution for "chronic halitosis", the faux medical term that the Listerine advertising group created in 1921 to describe bad breath. By naming and thus creating a medical condition for which consumers now felt they needed a cure, Listerine created a market for their mouthwash. Until that time, bad breath was not conventionally considered a catastrophe, but Listerine's ad campaign changed that. As the advertising scholar James B. Twitchell writes, "Listerine did not make mouthwash as much as it made halitosis." Listerine's new ads featured forlorn young women and men, eager for marriage but turned off by their mate's rotten breath. "Can I be happy with him in spite of that?" one maiden asked herself. In just seven years, the company's revenues rose from $115,000 to more than $8 million.

Green
Junior

Post by Green »

How interesting. Bad breath wasn't considered a catastrophe at one point in time! :shock:
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

How interesting.

My family-Mum, Grandad, Grandma all use listerine but they dont have bad breath.

They dilute it 50/50 with water because its too strong and burns their mouth.

DRASTIC
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Listerine is the only mouthwash I have tried so far which gives me about half a bb-free hour.
alexanderluther
Junior

Post by alexanderluther »

Very interesting! I've researched same thing about Listerine a long time ago!
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

Listerine.....hmmmm....seems to make my bb worse-er-er than it already is. Listerine is not MY friend, uh-uh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic