Your Email Address:

First Name:

Baking soda

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
chomp

Baking soda

Post by chomp »

I've found a temp fix for my stinky problem :D . My smell comes from my stomach.... have gastritis and so am taking Nexium for now. I started carrying a tissue folded with some baking soda and was dabbing my nose and my chin when I would speak to absorb the bad smell but I felt awkward doing that.

I tried a new method which is working great. I put less than a 1/4 teaspoon of b.s. on a small piece of saran wrap, tied it in a knot and poked a ton of holes into it with a toothpick..... stuck it in my mouth when I went out. I push it all the way in the back behind the molars and I can still eat and drink anything. Chewing on food is a bit awkward but I will manage it. Even drinking coffee is not causing any problems. I am not getting the usual responses from others. I will test further by actually breathing on someone in a small place like a elevator.

The b.s even keeps my mouth feeling clean because every now and then little bits of the soda is being released out from the saran wrap. I am even thinking of using a piece of gum as a wrapper for the b.s.

halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

CHOMP

Aren't you afraid to choke with the plastic? It sound very dangerous having a plastic bag inside your mouth while eating and drinking liquids. PLEASE TRY ANOTHER WAY!!!
Eric
Advanced

Post by Eric »

Wow thats pretty damn creative. Gum sounds better than plastic as long as its sugar free and not slowly rotting your teeth.

And can you please describe the way your gastritis smelled and what affected it positively and negatively besides the medicine...
chomp

Post by chomp »

Halihope - I've been so desperate to speak freely around people because I love to talk and so I had to do something. So, I ended up using the saran wrap but yeah you are right there is a possibility of choking. I tried a sugar free gum yesterday... I stretched the gum and and used it as a wrapper for the b.s but it did not work well. The b.s started dissolving with the saliva and within half hour all of it had leaked and was swallowed which caused heartburn in the night.

I've been researching other things and finally I've decided to try using activated charcoal. Has anyone tried it? They have a.c tablets which I plan on holding in my mouth when I am around people...... hope it works.

Eric, I have a fecal breath. So far my doc does not know what is really causing the gastritis. My gastritis has not been fixed yet. Tests are being done and hopefully one of these days the cause will be found.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

chomp wrote:Eric, I have a fecal breath. So far my doc does not know what is really causing the gastritis. My gastritis has not been fixed yet. Tests are being done and hopefully one of these days the cause will be found.
Fecal breath is caused by bacteria either in the mouth or the intestines (ie, farting). Most bacteria cannot survive the stomach's high acidity (and actually it would be quite problematic if they did).

And the fact that baking soda in your mouth has masked your odor temporarily is another sign telling you the culprit is somewhere in your mouth.

If you have gastritis it would probably be coincidental with your bad breath and not its cause. The jury is still truly out on whether GERD can be a cause of bad breath, but if it is the odor it produces ought to be of a burning/smokey nature (as this is how GERD sufferers who complain of coincidental breath symptoms describe it). It would probably also coincide with some malfunction of the gastroesophageal valve as this valve closes after eating to keep stomach contents inside the stomach. If this valve were remain partially open or more, that's when it may cause stomach content odor to reach your mouth breath. This kind of bad breath would also mostly coincide with episodes of heartburn by the same logic (ie, that valve is open, allowing reflux into the esophagus.)

If you detect your bad breath even when you don't have any heartburn look elsewhere than your stomach.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Good post, Cured. Finally someone who doesn't just guess =D>

It's true that the stomach interior rarely has a fecal stench (anyone who has felt the wonderful stench of vomit will know this), so it shouldn't cause a fecal breath. Still, the intestines, further down, could be involved... causing blood-borne halitosis. This is very rare though.

I think the B.S. in the wrap is a superb idea. Maybe it can progress to something truly useful. Charcoal might be a problem though, as it will make your oral cavity pitch black O:)
Eric
Advanced

Post by Eric »

Hmmm... maybe we could band together and invent a safe device to be placed in the mouth that like stuck to the roof over the tongue so we could still talk normally while wearing it. Fill that sucker with baking soda. Just take it out to eat and french kiss lol.
chomp

Post by chomp »

I wonder if it might be the bacteria that is causing the gastritis. it's like figuring out what came first - chicken or egg theory. I've been to several periodontists to check for gum infection and other problems that could cause the smell but they have all told me that I have no gum diseases. Recently I went to a really good periodontist to get her opinion and she too assured me that the smell is not coming from my mouth. She was the one who had me go to the gastroentrologist as she was positive the smell was coming from the stomach.

I recently had a test done to see how the gastric contents were emptied. The doctor wanted to see if food was coming back up from the stomach but (un)fortunately everything looked fine. Next thing they want to test is for pernicious anemia because I am anemic all the time. And I have a family history of arthritis. This can cause gastritis. Anyone know if this can cause fecal breath?

Eric, the idea to place a device at the roof over tongue is a great idea. I am thinking maybe attach the device to floss or similar stuff on two ends. Then attach the loose ends to the molars in the top jaw. To attach it to molars we could place rubberbands (like they use for braces) between the teeth. We could get help from an orthodontist because they work with braces and they could help us invent something. Also I am sure that placing the device at the roof of the mouth will make it easier to eat and drink without having to take it out unllike wedging it behind the molars.
Humble
Total Newbie

BB from Stomach

Post by Humble »

You said that your problem was in the stomach. Have you experimented with Chlorophyll tablets? Best wishes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic