Your Email Address:

First Name:

Essential Oils

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Larc400
God

Essential Oils

Post by Larc400 »

I've been scouting a bit on PubMed. Here's a brand new article summary:

--------------------
Hur MH, Park J, Maddock-Jennings W, Kim DO, Lee MS.

School of Nursing, Eulji University, Daejeon, South Korea.

The aim of this study was to explore the effect of an essential oil solution on levels of malodour and production of volatile sulphur compounds (VSC) in patients nursed in intensive care unit (ICU). Thirty two patients received 3 min of oral cleaning using an essential oil solution (mixture of tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia, peppermint, Mentha piperita and lemon, Citrus limon) on the first day, and Tantum (benzydamine hydrochloride) on the second day. Two trained nurses measured the level of malodour with a 10 cm visual analogue scale (VAS) and VSC with a Halimeter before (Pre), 5 min after (Post I) and 1 h following treatment (Post II). The level of oral malodour was significantly different following the essential oil session, and differed significantly between two sessions at Post I (p < 0.005) and Post II (p < 0.001). Differences between the two sessions were significant (Tantum, p < 0.001; essential oil, p < 0.001) in the level of VSC and significantly lower in the essential oil session than Tantum at the Post II (p < 0.05). These findings suggest that mouth care using an essential oil mixture of diluted tea tree, peppermint and lemon may be an effective method to reduce malodour and VSC in intensive care unit patients. Copyright 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

-----
Ingredients (from the article):
The essential oil solution mouth care was a mixture
of tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), peppermint (Mentha
piperita) and lemon (Citrus limon) in a 2:1:2 ratio,
diluted in solubilize and distilled water at a final
concentration of 0.125%.

I make that about:

2 ML Tea Tree Oil
1 ML Peppermint Oil
2 ML Lemon Oil
4 L Distilled Water

Please can someone double check this :idea:

Does anyone know where I can order these ingredients?? :roll:

elliott
God

Post by elliott »

interesting.. I may try to rinse with some oils.
But these "patients" don't neccessarily have halitosis?
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

i believe the ecodent daily rinse has the peppermint, lemon, and tea tree oil in it - although at what ratio, i don't know.

http://www.eco-dent.com/rinse.htm
Hal_1t0515

Post by Hal_1t0515 »

For them to be effective, they say that just the essential oils should be used instead of toothpaste and conventional mouthwash. The theory is that the essential oils stick to the teeth, tongue and gums and inhibit the bacterial growth. Detergents and soaps, such as the sodium laurel sulfate in conventional products remove the natural oils and allow the bad bacteria to grow back quickly.

I tried brushing with natural soap awhile back. A day later I flossed the back molars and the floss smelled terrible, much worse than normal. Yet most toothpastes contain detergent as the main ingredient. This may explain why just toothpaste alone promotes bad breath. All these years we've been brainwashed into thinking toothpaste is the best way to clean the teeth.

I just ordered some OraMD ( www.oramd.com ), which I think contains nothing but essential oils of peppermint, spearmint, and almond. I'll report back if it seems to be working.

There are products out there that contain more oils, such as tea tree, but I find that oil to be too strong tasting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic