Your Email Address:

First Name:

Has anyone tried BreathAlert to detect their breath?

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
Larc400
God

Re: Has anyone tried BreathAlert to detect their breath?

Post by Larc400 »

BBHalit wrote:It's a device that cost around $30, but sold mainly via UK stores. Looks like a good investment for the money but I don't know how effective is it compared to the $1800 halimeter. Guess I'll be the first to try.
Hi! I bought that device about a year ago, but it's very unprecise = only has four levels, so it's very hard to use it to measure small improvements of the bb. I seem to remember scoring 3-4 consistantly regardless of my oral state etc.

I'm awaiting news about the possibility of renting a Halimeter from my dentist. Hopefully this is something other dentists can start doing. Even a month with a Halimeter would give some answers, I hope, as it would be a "win-win"-situation for the money hungry profession known as Dentists. :roll:

BBHalit

Post by BBHalit »

Larc400 wrote:
Hi! I bought that device about a year ago, but it's very unprecise = only has four levels, so it's very hard to use it to measure small improvements of the bb. I seem to remember scoring 3-4 consistantly regardless of my oral state etc.

I'm awaiting news about the possibility of renting a Halimeter from my dentist. Hopefully this is something other dentists can start doing. Even a month with a Halimeter would give some answers, I hope, as it would be a "win-win"-situation for the money hungry profession known as Dentists. :roll:
Would've been nice if I had this info sooner from you. Oh, well let me see how mine will work out. I ordered this from UK and spent almost $70 including s/h. What's worse, I don't think they allow me to return it. Thanks for the info anyway.
BronxJazzy

Post by BronxJazzy »

I would suggest always checking ebay before buying a product from somewhere else. They had one on there for 10 bucks not including s/h.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

:-k
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

That device is a waste of cash (i bought something similar when it first came out back in '01).

As regards whether a device like this is of use to us (ie. one that actually works), I think it would be invaluable. My own opinion is that bb is not constant (least its not in my case). Sometimes its off the charts and sometimes its not.
Furthermore, I have had several 'halimeter' tests and tested low in all cases. It could be concluded that maybe I'm one of these people who *thinks* he has bb. However, that doesnt account for the frequent jibes from coworkers - they're getting more and more thinly veiled. A bad week in this regard. I'm no softie but I am human - and this stuff comes out to cut you down regularly. Its never far away.

Anyways, IF there was an accurate device to measure bad breath that was affordable, we would advance our cause by a long long way. Think about it. We could quantify scientifically our BB ...
1. after following a certain diet or taking certain foods
2. after trying a new treatment
3. even when we're not following any treatment, it would indicate when its worse - have a better chance of determining whats causing it this way.
Many of us have concluded that certain treatments have worked (because we have made ourselves believe this / due to placebo effect). An accurate testing device would do this.

I remember discussing with someone before the possibility of buying a halimeter and sharing it between a few members ie. one member would have it for a couple of months, followed by the next.

I wonder would anyone here be interested in this? How accurate do people believe the halimeter is?
yeagermeister
Junior

Post by yeagermeister »

I personnally believe the halimeter is worthless. My readings stated that my breath wasn`t that bad. I visited one of thee "bad breath clinics", the guy who came up with Profresh (I believe his name was Dr. Ricter?) looked at me and tried to convince me my breath wasn`t bad, which is a load of shit & every person I`ve had human contact with in my life can attest to that.
noptical
God

Post by noptical »

yeagermeister wrote:I personnally believe the halimeter is worthless. My readings stated that my breath wasn`t that bad. I visited one of thee "bad breath clinics", the guy who came up with Profresh (I believe his name was Dr. Ricter?) looked at me and tried to convince me my breath wasn`t bad, which is a load of shit & every person I`ve had human contact with in my life can attest to that.
Maybe it just happened that you didnt have bad breath at that time. Maybe you just dont have bb all 24 hours of the day (which I think is the case with me) or its just very mild some hours of the day.
yeagermeister
Junior

Post by yeagermeister »

I`m pretty sure my BB is terrible all of the time, it`s just that when doctors and dentist run out of answers, their solution is to try and convince you your BB is in your head. My BB is NOT being imagined, it smells like a broken sewer line 20 minutes after I brush.
Iris
Junior

Post by Iris »

BBHalit wrote:It's a device that cost around $30, but sold mainly via UK stores. Looks like a good investment for the money but I don't know how effective is it compared to the $1800 halimeter. Guess I'll be the first to try.
Yes, I had one for a while. My dentist who was trying to see if my problem is related to dry mouth, let me try her BreathAlert for many months. I was disapointeded for when I knew I have BB, it said no. So, I did not like it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic