Your Email Address:

First Name:

Does food stick between your throat and nasal cavity?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Eric
Advanced

Does food stick between your throat and nasal cavity?

Post by Eric »

Does anybody else have this problem?

Here is an easy way to determine if you do:
Eat a few handfuls of tortilla chips.

If you are like me you will notice that after you finish eating you will feel this 'food ball' stuck at the back of your throat. To get rid of this food ball I have to snort the mucous out of my nasal area. (The same thing you do when you 'hock a loogie') I spit the mucous up and there are ten or more small chunks of chip suspended in the mucous. I can keep snorting another 2 or 3 times to get less and less stuff out, but I don't think I am ever able to completely clear the area. Within minutes the food is being broken down by anaerobic bacteria and I have foul BB. I have found doing a nasal rinse and letting the water run down my throat greatly reduces the stink and prevents my tongue from having a white coating. But if I lapse and do not rinse after a meal I will get a strong smell and tongue coating back.

Please reply with similar stories and/or your test results.

pink
Total Newbie

Post by pink »

I have the same problem. Food and mucus always get stuck in my throat, left side only. At first my ENT thought that it might be related to acid reflux but that was ruled out after I had an endoscopy done and tonsils/adenoid removed. Check out this website www.entcolumbia.org/zenker.html. I spoke to my ENT about it and she ordered a CT scan of my throat.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

I get this as well, especially when I eat dry foods like crackers or crisps. I'm waiting for an appointment with an ENT and I'm going to ask about this, although I don't have all the symptoms described, just the food caught in throat, gurgling in throat and CH. It does say that this is more common in older men, but I think it's worth a mention.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

This happens to me too, it's discussed here:

http://tinyurl.com/5pujjx

It's hard to get to that area. The only thing I could think of was to do the 'condom trick' .... putting a condom up your nose and suck it back to throat and pick it out through mouth. Doing that should reach that area. I can't do it though :oops: :oops: :oops:
Eric
Advanced

Post by Eric »

I'm going to stay with the nasal irrigation over the condom trick. Haha, thats definitely one of the more interesting things I've heard on this board. Thats on par with the guy who was putting baking soda in plastic wrap and keeping it in the back of his mouth to reduce the smell.
sharon
Junior

Re: Does food stick between your throat and nasal cavity?

Post by sharon »

I found exactly the same things!

Is that the problem with tonsils or sinuses?
what should we do?

Eric wrote:Does anybody else have this problem?

Here is an easy way to determine if you do:
Eat a few handfuls of tortilla chips.

If you are like me you will notice that after you finish eating you will feel this 'food ball' stuck at the back of your throat. To get rid of this food ball I have to snort the mucous out of my nasal area. (The same thing you do when you 'hock a loogie') I spit the mucous up and there are ten or more small chunks of chip suspended in the mucous. I can keep snorting another 2 or 3 times to get less and less stuff out, but I don't think I am ever able to completely clear the area. Within minutes the food is being broken down by anaerobic bacteria and I have foul BB. I have found doing a nasal rinse and letting the water run down my throat greatly reduces the stink and prevents my tongue from having a white coating. But if I lapse and do not rinse after a meal I will get a strong smell and tongue coating back.

Please reply with similar stories and/or your test results.
tdonline

Post by tdonline »

Very occassionally when I go nasal irrigation, I will flush out bits of oatmeal out of my mouth. I'm not quite sure if the bits are coming out of the back of my mouth or if they are indeed coming from the nasal cavity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic