Your Email Address:

First Name:

WHAT PEOPLE THINK

Tell us your story with bad breath
FadingHope
Total Newbie

WHAT PEOPLE THINK

Post by FadingHope »

One would think an intelligent attractive woman wouldnt care what other people think. One would think that someone that looks like me would know to brush their teeth or better yet, their tongue. As a teacher of children I am in the position of a role model. Kids should want to be like me. Since I teach primary grades I should even be teaching HEALTH which includes brushing your teeth.

It really sucks that people think I have poor hygeine. I dont My toothbrush is always in my purse. I brush at recess, lunch, as I wake up, once I arrive at work again, after work when there are meetings....all for nothing. People think I stink and I dont know that all I need to do is brush my teeth. I feel like not working anymore. These people dont know how much courage it takes just to work. It takes courage just to leave the house.

For some reason my mother doesnt smell it. She says its all in my head. The kids smell it, they think their comments are inaudible. Co workers smell it, they smirk when I am forced to sit near them at staff meetings. My friend smells it. It really broke my heart. A couple days ago we were talking about some guy and I was ranting that he just wanted to sleep with me. She Blurted out " He wanted your stinky breath." I was so shocked. I had to ask her to confirm what I hear, she said it was just a joke. I havent spoken to her since. I would expect that a REAL FRIEND would just pull me aside and tell me this with some sensitivity, not blurt it out as some inside joke that she had to herself. It undermined all the friendship I thought we had. All the times I asked her if my breath smelled in public places and she said "No"

I have tried dentists, medical doctors, digestive enzymes, and I brush and floss so well the dentist said I had no tartar when she looked at my teeth. Im a single female with no kids. At this rate I will never get married and have any. Im too paranoid to make new friends because I never know when my breath is really offensive so I assume it always is. This is really driving me to a great depression, especially after that impaling comment from my only so called friend. I dont even want to make friends anymore.

Ya, what people think really does matter.

Eric
Advanced

Post by Eric »

Yeah, I agree. No man is an island. We are all subject to the uninformed masses who regard us as dirty.
How long have you been suffering from this? You are very brave to teach elementary school with this condition. If its your passion you shouldn't let anyone dissuade you from it. At least its not high school kids right? :)
I wish they had a BB island where we could all live in peace and harmony :!:
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Fadinghope,

I understand how you feel. People who I worked with lied to my face when I asked them to tell me the truth.

It really hurts for us every single day.

I have been to dentist, doctors and nothing wrong with my teeth they are in perfect condition. Still I cant explain why my breath is so bad.

Friends will lie to your face as well.

I wish all of us suffering like this could be helped and made better.
I wish we could get real help for our condition.

D
halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

FADINGHOPE If you mother truly doesn't smell your bb then she is not alone, my hubby and children don't smell it either and to be truthful it is a blessing most of the time because I am myself at home or when we go out together. On the other hand I don't have anyone who can help me "measure my stench" Please call your friend and explain to her how much it hurts and how frustating it is to have this condition, don't push her away, most likely she was not thinking straight when she made that comment. I have confided in friends and family and all say they don't smell anything and it frustrates me so much to see how they react to my bb. Once a family member invited me to a prayer group and as soon as I open my mouth this family started blowing the air away from her with her hand. This type of reactions really infuriates me I rather have a friend or relative tell me that indeed I do have bb and how strong it is so that I can maybe be more discreet. Do not leave your job, you have a problem for which you are not at fault.
crazybb

Post by crazybb »

It is so hard to find a firend that can truly tell you what your breath smells like. I have confided in 3 friends and 2 of them say they cannot smell anything but they are the ones that react the most ( they outrightly cover their mouth and nose when I talk to them). One of them actually made me cry yesterday, she asked me a question in the midst of so many other people but as soon as I open my mouth to answer, she immediately covered her mouth and nose with her mouth. I have decided I will no longer talk to her. Only 1 person had been truthful enough and is willing to tell me how my breath smells and when I have the worst bb. She actually did that for me today. She was with me for the most part of the day monitoring my breath and now I know that my breath stays clean for close to 5hours after my morning regime. So the next step is to see what product works and what does not work.
halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

CRAZYBB
That sort of reaction from your so called friend is the type that gets us the most frustrated. When I finally decided to talk about it with family members, especially those who visited me, I told them all the same thing that "please be honest and tell me how strong is my bb, I need this information to have my ent give me the right medication, I really need your help", and all the answers where the same. "I don't smell anything"; and to have this family member invited me to a place where people gather just to embarrass me and humiliate me and then act as if nothing happen it really made me not want to have nothing to do with her or at least the minimal since she is very close to my parents. One thing is to have your friends/relatives react and another is for them to deny smelling anything and then take the first opportunity to hurt you :evil
crazybb

Post by crazybb »

I went to see an ENT today and after the checkups he said he could not smell anything. I told him I know I have bb and I want to have a tonsilectomy. He tried to discourage me from taking my tonsils out, he went ahead to tell me his own story with halitosis and how he manages his problem. Anyway, he thinks my bb could be due to acid reflux and so prescribed PREVACID for the next six weeks and if there are no changes, I can then have the tonsilectomy. However he said he did not see any sign of having tonsil stones and so should not raise my hopes about the surgery. I told him i just want to have it so that i will stop wondering if my problem is due to tonsil stones or not.

The world is indeed a funny place. As I was checking out, the cashier made a comment when she saw my file, she said " Doctor also sometimes have a little halitosis, but he is able to manage it well."
Hank
Junior

WHAT PEOPLE THINK

Post by Hank »

crazybb,

You may have already done this, but can you please post your daily routine, since 5 hours of no bb is great! I'm curious what is working for you. Also can you say if you have PND, "lump in the throat", nasal problems, etc.
lolalola
Junior

Post by lolalola »

I loath "friends" like that!! It is bad enough having to try to live your life with this condition and these so called "friends" feel the need to humiliate you is just the icing on the cake! When I was in high school, I remember this guy saying out loud like you stink and my bff at the time laughing her ass off, I guess it was that funny! We were never the same again, I cried for days at how hurt she made me. Then another time this ugly girl with craters on her face says to me please don't sneeze near me again, you stink!
This after I covered my mouth and turned my face away.
The stories could go on and on, I am not friends with these people as those comments destroy the very fiber of your being esp it is something you cannot control. They can all go to hell!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic