Your Email Address:

First Name:

ENT APPOINTMENT

Tell us your story with bad breath
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Archimonde,

Thanks alot for your concern. I do undertand that its part of our body and we should be careful.

But its just one of those things. I have to do the surgery because there are deep crater like holes on my tonsils and I cant get to all the tonsil stones. I cant reach some of the tonsil stones so operation is the only way to get rid of it.

I know what you mean Archimonde but I still want to do the surgery.

asd
Master

Post by asd »

well, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Also, when you enquire about the tonsillectomy, the doctors only concerns are the actual operation can be dangerous, not that you will be ill a lot after the op because of the lack of tonsils.

In my opinion if your tonsils give you more shit than they are worth, its worthwhile getting them out.
Thats just my 2 cents,
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Snobuni,

You say you were bad breath free for a time after tonsillectomy.

Did you take acidophilus or probiotics after you completeed your course of antibiotics?

I believe that may have been a very important thing to do after the surgery. I think probiotics and acidophilus right after you finished your antibiotics may have helped you maintain being bad breath free.

asd. I agree. Desperate times call for desperate measures and God I am desperate.

Drastic
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Drastic,

I wasn't given antibiotics after my op, just low grade painkillers (ibuprofen and paracetamol). There's no need for antibiotics as the wounds are cauterised during the surgery.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Snobuni,

You must have had some improvements in your bad breath. All the people I have spoken to said that their breath improved.

IT MIGHT NOT BE A CURE BUT it will improve your breath somewhat. WEll, any improvement will do. Its better than sitting down and wondering what if I had done the surgery?
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Got this from science daily. asd you can have a look.

Tonsillectomy Significantly Improves Quality Of Life In Adult And Pediatric Patients
ScienceDaily (Jan. 5, 2008) — Tonsillectomies to treat chronic and recurrent tonsillitis substantially improve a patient's quality of live in both children and adults, according to two new studies published as a supplement to the January 2008 issue of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.

In one study involving 72 adults, patients showed improvement in all six subscales of the Tonsil and Adenoid Health Status Instrument (TAHSI), a scale used to measure the quality of life (QOL) of patients pre- and post-procedure. Among the scale-related findings, 98 percent reported fewer infections in the six months following surgery, with 76.9 percent expressing strong satisfaction with the surgery results. Patients also reported substantially fewer cases of persistent bad breath (halitosis), sore throats, and trips to the doctor because of sore throats.

In the study involving children, 92 patients also showed significant improvements when measured with the same TAHSI scale, including airway and breathing, infection, health care utilization, cost of care, eating and swallowing, and behavior.

Additionally, the Child Health Questionnaire-PF28 was used on 55 of the subjects in order to measure QOL with regards to general health, physical functioning, behavior, bodily pain, and parental impact. Among the study's findings were significant decreases in number of sore throats, antibiotic courses, days missed from daycare/school, doctor visits, and persistent halitosis.
Tonsillectomy remains one of the most common procedures performed on children each year, and while the number of incidences in adults is lower, it is still a routine operation. The current clinical guidelines produced by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS), which were developed using consensus of expert opinions, recommend tonsillectomy for children with three or more documented tonsil infections in the span of a year.

The studies' authors are David L. Witsell, MD, MHS; Laura J. Orvidas, MD; Michael G. Stewart, MD, MPH; Maureen T. Hannley, MD, PhD; Edward M. Weaver, MD, MPH; Bevan Yueh, MD, MPH; Timothy L.. Smith, MD, MPH; and Nira A. Goldstein, MD. Additionally, investigators in New York, North Carolina, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, and Virginia assisted with information gathering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adapted from materials provided by American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Drastic,

I agree, you have to give it a go, other wise you'll always wonder what if. I'd say my breath did improve very slightly after the op, but not much. As I said, I don't regret it, I'd probably do it over again, just to know that I've eliminated one possible cause, and I don't have to worry about getting tonsils stones anymore. :D
asd
Master

Post by asd »

snobuni, what was/is your symptoms and severity?
xx
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Asd,

I'm never quite sure just how bad my breath is. I do know for certain that it is bad, just by the number of times I'm offered gum/mints and just told straight out that my breath stinks by family, friends and work collegues.

I'm not sure if it's the kind that can fill a room. Sometimes I think it is and other times I don't. People tend to sit near me on buses, trains, waiting rooms etc, even if there are other seats free, so I'm never quite sure if this means that my bb doesn't come out my nose. On the other hand, the people I work with always have the door to our office open. Again, I don't know if this is because of me or that they just prefer the door open!!

I was out with friends Saturday night, and some touched or covered their noses when I spoke, some didn't, some did then didn't and some covered THEIR noses when THEY spoke!!! I try not read too much into this sort of stuff cos I'll drive myself mad wondering why they are or aren't doing it, it's so hard to ignore though. :cry:
asd
Master

Post by asd »

snobuni some of that sounds similar to my situation. Like that your BB isnt a room filler etc.

With mine I am always living in fear of it, taking everything and anything people do as a reaction, reading too far into situations, watching people to see if they do anything.
However I cant judge it based on reactions cause i find it too hard to just breathe directly on someones face.
My mouth taste is better now and so is the tongue coat, and I dont get anything major, I say I run at about 50percent BB 50percent paranoia.
I am considering just blasting some people to try and judge it.

On Topic: I may just get my tonnies out then if I dont feel cured, just say screw it and fight through this, only hope the BB doesnt progressively get worse, to an unnaceptable level xxxxx
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Asd,

You said the coating on your tongue and bad taste in your mouth had improved recently. Is there anything in particular that you've been doing to get this improvement?
asd
Master

Post by asd »

I stopped using hydrogen peroxide completely. I began chewable vitamin C, about 4000mg a day, I got a tung brush+ gel, and a sonic toothbrush, I also took coenzyme Q10. I also nasal irrigate a bit, but I did that before the rest with little change.
Nothing major basicly, I just stepped the oral care up to the highest notch.

Also got my reply from the doctors, they are going to give me the letter I need, tonsillectomy here I come.
I am sure its worthwhile, they feel funny and are sore most of the time, life is too short xxx
asd
Master

Post by asd »

and as for my symptoms, My tongue plaque is now only at the back, on the edges and a tiny patch in the middle groove. It used to only stay like this for half a day, but now itl stay like that overnight. I used to leave my tongue for 8 or so hours and it would be coated in thick gunk. My taste is also clearer.
But dont get me wrong, I havnt had any massive improvements since I started these treatments.
Worth trying if you havnt though I imaginexx
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

asd,

Glad to hear you can have your op. Is that you on the waiting list now? Or will you be having it quite quickly because it's private?

Good luck with it all, let me know when you get your date through.
prey
Junior

Post by prey »

HI everybody,
yesterday i found out that i have small tonsils stones.For the first time i cheked them out with my fingers and small stinking pieces flyed out.
there s also mucus stuck in the there.The deeper that i would go with my finger the bigger smell came out.Deep in the left tonsil i feeled like a small ball stucked inside that i cant get out.
my priority si changed,tonsils out first ,and then the sinuses.

Prey
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic