Your Email Address:

First Name:

I swear gum makes it worse!!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
hopeful
Master

I swear gum makes it worse!!

Post by hopeful »

Years ago when I could hide my bb with minty gum it actually worked. Well now, I'm totally convinced that chewing gum makes it worse. I swear I get more reactions when I'm chewing gum than when I'm not.

Man, I need to find a good reliable product to kill the bb for those short key moments(like a meeting with the boss).

asd
Master

Post by asd »

well aprently mint gum just gives a mintysmell on top of whatever you already have, but fruit gum is meant to be much better. Also drink water while you are with the boss, that helps a bit if you keep sipping.
bb_girl

Post by bb_girl »

me too! Gum makes everything worse. Speaking of gum, somebody at my workplace (don't know who) put a pack of gum in my mailbox. I thought everyone got it but clearly I was the only one...Oh well.
daveparker
Advanced

Post by daveparker »

You know whats funny, when u brush for a good 20 minutes, mouthwash, sinus rinse, water pick...etc...for another 15 minutes, you stick 3 pieces of fruity gum in your mouth, you go to work, and your coworkers dont even ask if you want a piece of gum, they just hand it to you......god I hope they die.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

Before I had my wisdom teeth out one of the oddest features of my bad breath was that it often became more detectable and pungent to others when I chewed on a piece of gum or a soft mint.

Now I know the chewing action was 'kicking up' the debris lodged deep out of brushing/flossing reach between my gums and impacted wisdom teeth, and so created the associated pungent bacterial stink. Easy as that is to discern with hindsight now, I was completely oblivious to any such chain of logic back then.

For those of you for whom chewing gum or other soft things (like soft mints or chewy cookies) kicks up your bad breath aroma this is a dead giveway that the cause lies squarely in your mouth (either teeth, gums, or less likely tonsils) and not sinuses, stomach, intestines or elsewhere.

So you know where to hone in your search if your halitosis has this paradoxical feature.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Cured,

I had a lower wisdom tooth extracted (27th NOV). I dont yet know whether ive been cured or helped from this yet, but the signs so far are good. I dont know whether you have read any of my posts/threads regarding this but it was a partially (70%) erupted tooth which had gum/tissues/pockets around the crown from being so far at the back of a very crowded jaw. The area around this tooth was always putrid but like you it just never became apparent to me because of all the skank in my mouth/tongue back there, and repeated assurances from several dentists that i had no oral conditions to cause BB.
I'd love to know whether the tooth responsible in your case was an upper or lower tooth, and whether you think it might have been related to an invaded sinus. Did you have putrid odours in the area around this tooth if you touched it? Your descriptions while you still had it sound a lot stranger and mystifying than mine, all i had was constant skank in the area which i could also clearly taste.
I really appreciate your ongoing presense on here still, it gave me so much encouragement after the disappointment of my tonsillectomy, i'd be so grateful if you could respond to these few questions. Many thanks.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

Hey there,
halitosisux wrote:love to know whether the tooth responsible in your case was an upper or lower tooth, and whether you think it might have been related to an invaded sinus.
In my case I think all four were problematic, but the ones I blame the most are my two lowers, and I could never pinpoint which of those two was the worse one, perhaps the right, but it's all speculation because all were impacted to some degree.

I don't believe I ever had an invaded sinus, no, though I did consider the possibility. It was a second ENT doctor that I went to who had remarked to me in passing that my teeth sat very high in my jaw and were very close to my sinuses. It was eventually that remark about teeth that kept playing in my head that made me embark on the search that finally led to my wisdoms, but that's the only connection.

I will say though, that from about the second to third weeks after my extraction, every now and then as the upper sockets were closing up I'd get a quick pressure buildup in my sinuses followed by a quick release accompanied by a foul odor which would then dissipate. I became concerned about this enough that I was going to back to the oral surgeon to check for a sinus invasion or "communication", but by the time my appointment was going to roll around that little problem stopped. I don't believe there was ever true penetration from the socket into the sinus. I just think the barrier was about as thin as paper for a week or so. If there ever was I would have expected to come down with a nasty sinus infection.
Did you have putrid odours in the area around this tooth if you touched it?
Generally speaking, I could almost never detect any strong odors (and thinking back on it now, maybe that's why I suffered for so long) when pressing on my teeth. Sometimes when I pressed on my upper wisdoms I'd get a musty odor like that of wet wood, but that was it.

As for a putrid odor...well I'd get that every so often it seemed when I opened my mouth to speak or when I chewed on gum. I'd go like "hey! where'd that come from?" and jump into the bathroom and try to feel around my mouth and press on my nose. It'd usually be detectable when I rubbed my nose, but that only led me in the wrong direction toward my sinuses. I'm sure it was always there, but it was insidiously trapped between my gums and teeth and would mostly only unleash with certain jaw motions (like those needed to say certain words or chewing food).

You may have it all the time because the space between your teeth and gums where the smell-producing gunk is lodged is wider than mine, and so the gunk is exposed to the air 100% of the time, and so makes the odor detectable all the time and tasteable with your tongue. I believe it depends a great deal on just how tight that space is (in my case it must have been pretty tight).
I really appreciate your ongoing presense on here still, it gave me so much encouragement after the disappointment of my tonsillectomy, i'd be so grateful if you could respond to these few questions. Many thanks.
You're quite welcome... :)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Cured, thank you so much for all this valuable information. To think that you were only getting the occasional "whiffs" of gunk and yet this was your cause, yet i could taste gunk whenever i pressed my tongue in the area or a finger squeezing the gum would always detect odour, this is so encouraging for me.

Reading your reply reminded me of something i'd completely forgotten about - Years ago while i was still at college and still had my upper wisdom teeth, i recall a time whilst walking with a friend and we stopped for a while and i remember making the remark "this smell of shit in the air is very annoying" he replied by saying he couldnt smell anything, and HE said to me its its probably something up in your nose - and from then on i felt something very odd was happening, apart from just the BB in my mouth. I'd get this very often, but because i live in an agricultural zone i'd always assumed it was normal ambient odour which everyone was used to and never really spoke about. Ever since i had those upper teeth out, it stopped happening, but i never made that connection until this morning.

I think its more likely than people generally realise for there to be some teeth/sinus "communication" considering how "paper thin" the distance can be for some. As long as the sinus remains open and free to "breathe" such a situation is unlikely to become as serious as sinusitis, which makes it much less likely to connect any symptoms going on in there.

Its mentally good for me to know that i can expect "bumps" along the way as the gum closes up. Thanks once again Cured. It was while making google searches for BB/wisdom teeth connections that i found this site and your postings, which really opened my eyes to the true possibilities.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Cured wrote:
For those of you for whom chewing gum or other soft things (like soft mints or chewy cookies) kicks up your bad breath aroma this is a dead giveway that the cause lies squarely in your mouth (either teeth, gums, or less likely tonsils) and not sinuses, stomach, intestines or elsewhere.
Cured, there are no "dead giveaways", else we probably would have figured CH out by now.

But keep in mind the the sphincter, the valve of the stomach is a muscle that expands and contracts every time you swallow. This engages the acids to start working, and mucous is produced to protect the stomach and the intestines from acid. However, acid or mucous is still allowed up. When you chew gum, you have constant jaw/throat movement (similar to talking) which not only engages saliva production, but also gets mucous going. These conditions contribute to BB in the throat and oral area. Chewing gum is probably worse than talking because it is a constant jaw movement that mixes around all that gunk and gets concentrated in the mouth, exhaled through the sinus, and then reswallowed.

I think staying away from gum is a good idea... basically moving the throat/jaw area as little as possible to keep mucous production down.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

elliott,

With all due respect to what you've said, i dont think you've fully understood the context in certain areas. I think Cured was referring to the paradoxical nature of his problem. He wasnt sure where these whiffs of odour were coming from and is now speaking in hindsight of his discoveries in the hope that people take notice of any strange odours while chewing and disturbing possible problem areas, which people may not associate and connect to something which doesnt happen when the mouth is still.

"As for a putrid odor...well I'd get that every so often it seemed when I opened my mouth to speak or when I chewed on gum. I'd go like "hey! where'd that come from?" and jump into the bathroom and try to feel around my mouth and press on my nose. It'd usually be detectable when I rubbed my nose, but that only led me in the wrong direction toward my sinuses. I'm sure it was always there, but it was insidiously trapped between my gums and teeth and would mostly only unleash with certain jaw motions (like those needed to say certain words or chewing food).
"
This was all despite repeated assurances from his very experienced dentist that there was nothing wrong with his teeth, PARTICULARLY his wisdom teeth.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

halitosissux, I don't have a problem with anything Cured wrote, which is why I snipped the the body of the comment.

I just want to point out how it is possible that the action of chewing gum can make your breath worse for reasons other than dental. I think that by suggesting "dead giveaway" is inaccurate. It is a possibility that the cause of BB lies in the mouth, but please do not overlook other areas such as the intestines, stomach, or sinuses. Some of us definitely have digestive symptoms and it is important for us to consider how all of these aspects may or may not be linked.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi elliott,
I realise your reasons for mentioning what you have. Its important for people reading to have it all clarified by us both, thanx for that.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

Greetings Elliott,

Sorry, but I still firmly believe that if chewing gum makes your existing, presently detectable bad breath worse or more pungent that it is indicative of some dental/oral problem (unless it's originating the bad breath because it's drying your mouth after a while of chewing).
engages saliva production, but also gets mucous going. These conditions contribute to BB in the throat and oral area.
Mucus and saliva do not naturally have any odor. And you and I may disagree on this, but I don't give much credit anymore to the theory that mucus on the rear tongue causes chronic halitosis (though the acute kind may be a different story).

I used to think my mucus smelled like the cheesy odor I used to get in my nose, but now that I'm better it has no odor at all.

As for keeping mucus production down, there is really little we can do to control this, and reasons why we shouldn't. Back when I was suffering, like you I used to be convinced mucus was majorly to blame, and even went to my ENT MD demanding some solution to stop the mucus production or at least slow it. He said that was a poor idea because people with low mucus production get very bad teeth because in its absence the mouth bacteria are able to attack the enamel.

Of course people with dental/oral causes of chronic halitosis may find that gums help mask or get rid of the odor, or that they do nothing either way. In that sense, chewing gum isn't an end-all-be-all test, but if it turns up the existing odor that a solid sign because that action process is independent of other body systems (stomach, sinuses etc.).
lolalola
Junior

Post by lolalola »

All types of gum makes my breath smell and taste like mint with fart or ass!!
viva
Advanced

Post by viva »

Agree.
SpearMint gums,especially, leave a shitty taste in my mouth.
My theory is that I have an extreme case of geografic tounge, where these minty molecules decay plus dry mouth makes it smell worse.

I feel better when I eat something and the flow of saliva increases.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic