Your Email Address:

First Name:

Ive tried it all, so far this seems to be the best!

Tell us your story with bad breath
ElGrizzle
Advanced

Ive tried it all, so far this seems to be the best!

Post by ElGrizzle »

Me and my doctor are finding the cure, he said it is trial and error. Hopefully you can use what I wrote here to deduct possible cause of this bb. please write anything you have in common here.

Sometimes while im driving in my car, I will be breathing through my nose, and the fan car will blow a bad smell back at me. And it kinda comes in waves (its not constant). That is definitely a hint. It smells to me like a "dark" fart. But this isn't all the time. And it may relate to a thick coating in the back of the throat. Also, I dont usually get comments or signs about a bad smell in the room, its only when I talk, especially loudly or laugh from a deep place.

My bedroom on the other hand, will smell like this fart smell, and people comment on that too. but thats only when I spend alot of time in the room.

I notice that the "fart" smell that comes from my nose happens more often and alot more strongly after drinking alcohol. even a few days after. So this could suggest that has something to do with a bacteria overgrowth (which is usually fed by sugars). Perhaps our immune systems don't know how to deal with these specific strains of bacteria, resulting in a sustained overgrowth. (I think this may be the answer)

I am 22, thin, and have acne on the back, and no face acne but a lot of white crap coming out the sides of the nose and a bit of redness. I also seem to be celiac(get bad stomach pains/constipation from wheat), and having anything dairy plugs my nose n causes bloating. I have an appointment with a gastro ENT in march 09.

Now, I went on a completely sugar free diet. That means strictly eating nothing that can even be converted to a sugar in the body (even fruit). My diet was simply brown basmati rice, and chicken, or salmon, or eggs (no seasoning) (I read about the choline, but eggs don't seem to cause any problem for me) and cooked spinach or fresh salad with apple cider vinegar and olive oil(very simple). about a week in, there was no more smell coming from the nose, and taste in the mouth was improved, but I would still get bad taste and breath, which I think may be related to a dry mouth (which me and my doctor have not tried medication for yet). Also it may take longer. But it was a big improvement so long as I adhered completely to the diet.

Tried nasal sprays but they haven't helped. I've also seen an nasal ENT, he said fixing my deviated septum wont cure any bb.

As soon as I had some alcohol and a pepsi, the smell came back.

Its funny that everyone mentions amoxicillin, because I went to my doctor saying I wanted to try it for my bb simply because the only time I noticed I didn't have bb was when I was on it from getting my wisdom teeth removed. He said yes, if it works, then it could be an ulcer or H. Pylori. which when I got tested for did not show up... But he said it could still be there.

Tonight was probably one of the first nights I had that was actually sociable for a while. I have been keeping strict to the simple diet (and no alcohol which is very tough), this works wonders. and I didn't notice any bad reactions from people. even talking close (no covering of noses, turning away, comments, etc.) (even though I smelt/taste a bad smell in the back of my nasal passages/throat) as compared to 2 weeks ago when I had some alcohol, that night I simply said one thing and my friend said something smells like shit, and another person there covered his nose.

Also one time I was at a friends house and used a neti pot for the first time. when I came back out from the bathroom, he was sitting across the room and I was talking, and he said something smells straight up like poo. and another guy was sitting there, right beside me and he said he didn't smell anything. weird... but before that rinsing there was no comment. ???

The diet works very well, but is very difficult to stick too. Basically you need a rice cooker to keep the brown rice in, and frozen salmon patties(no sugars in the ingredients) for a quick fry in the freezer.

Does a flouride toothpaste cause dry mouth?
If so what can I use to prevent cavaties? I also need toothpaste for sensitivity too.

DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

People who drink alcohol tend to have bad breath but it is only transient/temporary bad breath.

A word to the wise dont drink alcohol.

Alcohol and bad breath dont mix well together. Same thing with smoking.

Drastic
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Hey ElGrizzle,

Sorry to hear about your struggles, but it's great you seem to have a doctor who understands your problem and is willing to help you treat it through trial and error.

I am 22 and thin as well. I wonder if body type has something to do with it in some cases. Or maybe a bacterial overgrowth or immune problem causes us to be thin.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Re: Ive tried it all, so far this seems to be the best!

Post by Archimonde »

ElGrizzle wrote:
Now, I went on a completely sugar free diet. That means strictly eating nothing that can even be converted to a sugar in the body (even fruit). My diet was simply brown basmati rice
Rice is high in carbs, which are converted into sugar. As an experiment, try cutting out rice for 2 weeks from your diet and eat more meat to see if your breath will improve even more.

It appears some people on this board get relief from a low carb diet, you're like the 5th person on this board. I'd be very curious to see if BB goes away completly when on a 0 carb diet. I hope i fall into that category as i'm trying a 0-carb diet as of today.
ElGrizzle
Advanced

Post by ElGrizzle »

Drastic, yes thats true, some people who dont have bb, can get a small amount of bb while drinking beer I notice, but not everyone. I remember when I was 16-17 beer used to give me a pleasent breath (when i had good breath). And the bb Im talking about is srong while on it, but also lasts for like a week.

TeamZissou - Yes I want to find more things in comon, I think that it may have something to do with this. If sugars is what it takes to get big, and our bacteria is eating that sugar and producing bad smells, maybe that is then the cause. I am researching this immune problem. There are also many undiscovered strains of bacteria! Do you have acne on the back???

Archimonde - when I have some time off from work I might try that, but whats the point? a thin guy like me will just wither away with no carbs at all. The difference though, is that brown rice is a complex carb, and is not converted directly into a simple sugar, unlike white rice.
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

How feasible is it to live on 0 carbs permanently? I've never tried a completely carb free diet, but it sounds next to impossible.

I know it's worth it if it means the BB goes away, but yikes.
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

ElGrizzle,

I don't have acne on the back, or on the face either really since middle school.

I do however get really clogged pores on the sides of the nose and produce white heads sometimes. It's not really noticable at all to others, but maybe there is some kind of connection that makes it happen.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

I tried the No Carbs and ended up losing concentration easily and then craving carbs. So, maybe little carbs is the way to go. To cut out all carb might be impossible for very skinny person like myself. I am very skinny and if I dont eat carbs then I start to look anorexic. Then my boyfriend starts to ask questions daily if I am eating. then we get in abig argument over him interrogating what I had for dinner, breakfast or lunch while he was out or while he was sleeping. I think he asked when he can smell the ketosis on my breath from cutting out carbs.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Zissou, it's possible, there are groups on yahoo about paleo diet and some ppl there are on a 0 carb diet or close. They claim to be healthier than they were on a grain diet.

Drastic, can't ketosis breath be easily masked with gums and whatnot, and it eventually goes away as your weight stabilizes? Ketosis breath would be the least of my concerns, i don't think it's an offensive kind of breath. Anyway, if you eat enough meat, you won't lose weight but we're talking about like 1 kilo of meat a day.
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Do any of you guys experience any type of anxiety? I'm a pretty nervous person in general, and sometimes I wonder if that contributes to me being skinny, and possibly even causes a combination of dry mouth and GERD symptoms that create BB.

Just wondering.
sophia

Post by sophia »

I eat sugar free diet all the time because I am Chinese.

I eat rice every day. I don't drink alchohol, coffe, sugar tea, and seldom eat food with sugar. Only drink Chinese green tea which is said to be good for curing BB.

but I still have BB.

BTW, i am also very thin.
ElGrizzle
Advanced

Post by ElGrizzle »

sophia, do you eat white rice? white rice is a simple carb, try switching to brown rice (complex carb). Many of the sauces used in chinese cooking have sugar in them, you are probably aware of this, I just wanna make sure.

Interesting, that 4 of us that all say we are thin....
Do you guys get hungry very often?
Give me as much info as you can, and we will find what we have in common.

Zissou - yes I do get nervous and anxious easily. in ayurveda it definitely relates to the vata constitution. I have so many books on ayurveda I will do more research on this constitution.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

ElGrizzle,

I get hungry very often too. Do you think this h. pylori could be causing all this?

Have you been tested??????????????
sophia

Post by sophia »

ElGrizzle wrote:sophia, do you eat white rice? white rice is a simple carb, try switching to brown rice (complex carb). Many of the sauces used in chinese cooking have sugar in them, you are probably aware of this, I just wanna make sure.

Interesting, that 4 of us that all say we are thin....
Do you guys get hungry very often?
Give me as much info as you can, and we will find what we have in common.

Zissou - yes I do get nervous and anxious easily. in ayurveda it definitely relates to the vata constitution. I have so many books on ayurveda I will do more research on this constitution.
Hi, ElGrizzle.

I eat white rice. And I don't use sauces with sugar. :P In my area, people like spicy food very much. Me too. But when my doctor told me that eating spicy food cause BB. I seldom use it.

I am very thin. Nomatter how much I eat. I eat a lot, but never become fat. I don't know why. I am also healthy. I mean, I seldom get some disease.

I do get nervous and anxious easily.
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

ElGrizzle and Drastic,

It's interesting about the hunger and thinness connection. I wouldn't say i'm abnormally hungry, but no matter how much I try to gain weight I never really can.

I even tried intentionally to gain 10-20lbs to see if that change in my body would fix the BB. I went as far as adding 2-3 Ensure to my diet for the calories. Still haven't been able to do it though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic