Your Email Address:

First Name:

My Adventures In BB Land!

Tell us your story with bad breath
The_Daily_Dread

My Adventures In BB Land!

Post by The_Daily_Dread »

Heeya All!

This is my first post and i would like to share my story. For some reason, i feel optimistic today so i won't dwell too much on self pity, negativity, and depression I experienced for the better part of my entire life.

First, I'm a 24yr old male living in some shithole country. I've had BB for 13 years and counting.

Ive had a normal life until the start of my 6th grade (11yrs old) when i contracted BB from whatever hell it came from. Before this, i was one of the noisiest and most active in my class. I was an extrovert and very sociable kid who can talk comfortably with anyone (even authority figures). My parents would tell me stories where i sang or danced for guests and visitors in our home without being told to.

Fast forward to 6th grade when i began to notice I've been having prolonged BB, the kind that won't disappear even after brushing my teeth. I admit i had terrible dental hygiene before acquiring BB. I shrugged it off but then people began to notice too.The first ones to notice were my sisters, i would often blow in their faces and ask them if my breath stinks..., and you already know the answer. My parents suck and they won't tell me to my face (until now, they act as if i have no BB). After this, my NORMAL life, as i knew it, ended.

A new era began. A never-ending battle with anxiety, depression, fear, and shame. In 6th grade, i was still thankful because despite having BB, i had a 'gang' or 'troop' of friends who i can talk to and have fun with. Despite this, i began to suffer the inevitable consequences of having BB as a youngster.
I'll just list some embarrassing moments in 6th grade and high school:

1. My seatmate asking me if i can smell the bad air. (we were talking in our dialect and the 'bad air' was also in our dialect, and i really understood what he meant)

2. I was forced into a catholic organization (boy's chapter) by my father and i was made president (by virtue of my father also being the president of the main adult chapter). Whenever there was a new initiation, my 'colleagues' would often tell the new recruits: "Do you want to know who ate the Shit?!" over and over again. Of course they were referring to me.

3. Never had a date, despite my good looks (hehehehe). I did have 3 girls asking me to dance on our prom night (as if its something to be proud of).

4. Classmates joking around its easy to treat BB, just brush your teeth! (yeah, they were jokers in the truest sense of the word)

These are just some incidents i remember. I'm sure some of you had experienced things like these too, or even worse. Different experiences, same ego-killing results.

Flash forward to college and i thought i would begin a new life. Oh how naive can i be! Leaving home to pursue my education in another place did not of course solve my BB. Same shit, different place. I thought i will make new friends. Yeah i became independent, in fact i became too independent i became a loner. I was afraid to talk to anyone within 3 feet of me. I was 'happy' going to malls alone, watching movies alone. I'm always eating alone and when i see other college students in groups, it just tugs at my heart because deep down i wanted to be part of them, and i know i can be part of them (sans the BB).

Because of depression, other physical symptoms appeared. Some of my hair turned white! My hands became sweaty, and my face would sweat a lot whenever i feel trapped. Even when its cold, sometimes i was the only one sweating inside some church. I was attracted to some girls, and i feel some of them were also attracted to me (lol), but nothing happens because when i started opening my mouth, BOOM! The End! The saddest thing i can say about my college life is even though i made some happy memories (most of them are bad of course), i have no pictures to remember them for. See, i always get jealous when i see picture albums of people together. I don't have any picture albums with friends to show.

On to graduation, and taking the board, and now a working professional, i still have....tadaaan...BB! The things that are happening to you in the office are also happening to me! Again, i thought i would start a new life back home. Again, without treating the problem, the same old shit.

I forgot to mention, i confessed to a total of....1 person that i have BB. That person is my father. In my teens, i was always moody and antagonistic towards my parents. To the extent that my father nearly punched me once. When i dropped out of college (yes i returned), my father corralled me and we had a 'heart to heart' talk. I confessed to him everything, but then told him i was already cured (hahahahahha). He seemed to believe it, and since then he adopted a policy to generally leave me alone. Of course he can't resist sometimes, and he would 'invite' me to join his organization. My mother also generally ignore that i have bb, but sometimes she would buy BB products (all she knows is listerine, or some toothpaste claiming to remove bb) and leave them in my room.

You know, the sad thing is in our society or maybe in every society, most people don't tell what they think about you to your face. I always have fits when people give hints i have bb in front of other people. Why can't they just tell it to me and be done with it. I know i have bb, no need to be shy about it! (on second thought, why don't i just tell them i know my breath stinks hehe)

Anyways, one day i decided to go on and find a cure (yeah i tried most of the standard 'solutions' in the past, mouthwashes, therabreath, tongue cleaners, etc.)...

I mean, the cure of all cures! How heavenly is it to wake up everyday knowing i don't have BB anymore! So i browsed the net and finally came upon this site. The first 'cure' that actually worked was HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! It was so effective, i did not feel that i need to register here and tell my story (sorry).
It worked so well i was too stubborn to accept my BB returned after about 3 weeks or so.

Onto the next 'cure', and the one I'm trying out now is BAKING SODA. The problem is i was so elated with the HP thing i am now becoming paranoid if this new one works or not. I feel my mouth is cleaner, and when i do the wrist test, i don't smell anything but its as though my mind 'wants' to smell something!

In ending, i know BB sucks. Its one problem that is capable of driving someone to s*****e. I thought about wanting to die but never thought about how to do it. Nowadays, whenever i feel down, i just think of all the people having it worse than me. Sometimes its not enough, but at least it puts me in the proper perspective.

I believe that someday a cure for us will be found. Maybe its within our lifetime or maybe not, but cast it in stone, A CURE WILL BE FOUND!

PS. i'm not a native english speaker so my grammar is not top-notch... also my articulation...

also i have one burning question:

How come i only met one person who has chronic bad breath in my entire life? This person was my classmate in 4th grade (I don't have bb then). I used to tease him about it because every time i talked to him, i smell this godawful stench! When i met him in 6th grade, i don't detect anything at all!
Last edited by The_Daily_Dread on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelly

Post by nelly »

welcome to this forum, thedailydread. And for shearing. I really feel your pain, since ive also had bb from I was about 11( now im 39.) I surely knows my life would have been very different without this. Makes other peoples lifes look more manageble. Hope you find some comfort and help in this site. Now to your question. It is so strange, but bb people can mostly not smell each other. You can read about it in some posts here. I have experienced it myself, otherwise I would probably not believed it. So I guess after you had chronic bb yourself, you could no longer smell this guy.
The_Daily_Dread

thx dude/dudette :D

I used to think i can manage life on my own. I resisted the idea that No man is an island and i believed i was one exception to the rule. Used to, anyways.
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Those co-members of yours in the catholic organization should have known better but they acted worst than pagan jerks.
They should burn in hell !!!! :D
smellay
Total Newbie

Post by smellay »

hey daily dread.
I really find your story quite touching. i think it is nice to relate to someone else with the same problem as me, because i think i am going through the same thing you did. i'm just a 14 year old boy in the 8th grade, barely having any social issues. i have friends that always hint at my breath, usually indirectly, like "whats that smell?" i have read online that my lactose intolorance plays a role in this. are you LI? i was wondering, what is the hydrogen proxide cure? (next post)
smellay
Total Newbie

Post by smellay »

i would really like to try it, just see if something as simple and complex as bb causes such disrespect. i have a girlfriend, and weve never kissed and i have a feeling its my bb. does anyone have any idea how that feels? not being able to kiss someone just because the spinner pointed at you when it stopped? it drives me mad. i wish us bbs could all be cured and the jerks who put us down all the time could try it. they wouldnt last a single day. in hour shoes. anyways. i think i have the same fate (next)
smellay
Total Newbie

Post by smellay »

so from somebody a little farther ahead than me, is there anything you can pass on? pointers, warnings, cover ups, anything to make it a little easier. and please tell me about the hydrogen proxide (what to do). thanks and good luck to you.
sillygrrl08

Hi Dread

Post by sillygrrl08 »

Wow your story is so similar to mine. I didn't notice my bb until i was in high school. I'm not sure if i had it before then. To me the bb didn't seem to really get bad until my jr. year in college. This is when friends around me would say who farted. But at that time they really did think someone farted. Like you fast forward to graduation and professionalism. I knew it was bad when all my co-workers shuned me. They treated me....well ....not human, some one who doesn't have feelings. The worst things I heard about my bb either to my face or behind my back was:

1. "I'll rather die than to smell that stench one more day"

2. "When we smell bad things the polite thing to do is to pretend you don't smell anything" (this was told to a group of 8 year old girls when I worked at a group home. they started to all giggle and one of the other workers told them to do this)

3. "If i had that problem I would beg the doctors to do something about it" (If they only new that I had been to the doctor several thousand times crying my eyes out begging for them to cure me).

There have been other horrible comments about me but those top the worse of it.

Currently I work in homecare which isn't so bad as working in an office. I set my own hours and only work with the families 1 hour a week. I don't really have to talk with anyone. The worse thing that happens to me now is that when I come back to the homes there are air freshners set all around the house or the families make sure their windows are up when I arrive, even in winter weather.
The_Daily_Dread

smellay wrote:i would really like to try it, just see if something as simple and complex as bb causes such disrespect. i have a girlfriend, and weve never kissed and i have a feeling its my bb. does anyone have any idea how that feels? not being able to kiss someone just because the spinner pointed at you when it stopped? it drives me mad. i wish us bbs could all be cured and the jerks who put us down all the time could try it. they wouldnt last a single day. in hour shoes. anyways. i think i have the same fate (next)
There was this girl i kind of dated (not really a date due to circumstances which i won't explain) once and while we were in a theater, she asked me: "Hey what's that smell?" and i said: "dunno i dont smell anything" (haha) then she went direct to the point: "its coming from your direction"...

Anyway, buy hydrogen peroxide at your local drug store/supermarket. Use it as mouthwash, don't use it full strength! Formula goes like this: 1part peroxide 1part water, mix and gargle with it after brushing. Worked for me for about 2-3weeks. I was so elated i refused to believe when people started covering their noses again lol. I don't really know what to say regarding a 'cure', but some friends here have been healed apparently so read their posts.

I really do not wish this 'curse' on others and it saddens me to think young people like yourself 'might' undergo the same experiences i have had. As for advice, don't surrender. There will be moments when you just want to end it all, or that you feel the world conspired against you, or God hates you, or whatever. Just don't give up. It's really painful, i know. We think there's so much we can do if we don't have bb. Oh If we can only be cured. I say, well that's the cards you were dealt with. Sigh, i don't really know what to say anymore. Just look at the bright side: you have a gf, you're still young, you do have ambitions and aspirations aside from your bb being cured, right?
smellay
Total Newbie

Post by smellay »

i do, but youre right, i do sortof feel like it would all be better if my bb was gone, like the domino effect. maybe my girlfriend and i will kiss or something, then maybe i'll get a little more respected by my friends, then who knows?

btw: hydrogen proxide already smells pretty bad. it must taste absolutely awful.
halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

the daily dread Welcome and it is good to read your story and glad to know you were feeling good. About that 4th grade boy with bb, I think he was teething, bleeding and therefore he had bb and by 6trh grade he had all his permanent teeth and no bb. I wish I would just loose all my teeth and get new ones again and perhaps loose this bb.
smellay
Total Newbie

~

Post by smellay »

lol, i just tried hydrogen proxide today (i was a bit nervous before) and i was right, it tasted like crap, but oh well, when u said it worked for u for 3 weeks, did u mean on one gargle or gargling daily? i dont care i have to do it like once every couple of weeks to keep it on the down low. so anyways, wish me luck! and please try to reply
The_Daily_Dread

smellay,

sorry for the late reply (no net for 2+ weeks! and i dont want to open this site from my office pc ). : #-o

i meant gargling every time you brush your teeth. If you can't stand the taste, add more water or some lemon. Now, i only use it once every morning.

Its been a while that i don't get any reactions at my workplace, but only because i now speak less with people and as much as possible at a distance.
fedenon

Post by fedenon »

smellay wrote: i have read online that my lactose intolorance plays a role in this.
intolerance lactose, maybe u need a diet for the intolerance lactose.
](*,)
i dont speak english...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic