First Name:

My Cure - Wisdom Teeth Removal

Tell us your story with bad breath
vman
Total Newbie

My Cure - Wisdom Teeth Removal

Post by vman »

Hey guys,

I just recently found this site while browsing around before the night before my surgery to remove my wisdom teeth (Thursday Jan. 15th, 2009). With that said, I was very optimistic about this procedure after reading Cured and Humbled's post about wisdom teeth leading to the cure of their bad breath. For about two years now I have had a foul odor coming from my bottom left gum all the way towards the back of my bite. This odor would invade my mouth and give me the worst breath ever! The location of the smell was actually the site of my impacted wisdom tooth.

Finally last week I decided to visit the dentist to get rid of this smell, which I suspected might be a rotten wisdom tooth from the get go. I am very outgoing, have had multiple relationships during the time I had BB so going into the dentist and simply saying "my breath smells like shit, and here is the source" was very easy for me. By the way, I encourage you all to do the same. These professionals see, smell and hear worse things on a daily basis and you should not be embarrassed of letting them know your condition! Anyways, if I would simply rub my finger over the gum, pull it out and smell it it would literally smell like poo-poo. Flossing in that area and smelling it afterward proved the same.

So, I had x-rays done and three different professionals (my DDS, oral hygienist, and oral surgeon) all agreed it was a pocket of bacteria that had accumulated over the years with stuck food and what not between my impacted wisdom tooth and back molar. Sweet! I was on the road to recovery already by locating the source of my doo-doo breath.

One week later I am happy to say that I am BB free! When I rub my finger over the same gum I was having trouble with I no longer smell fecal matter. I had a little self test with a pillow (lol don't ask) I have of mine that would let me know if I had bad breath, which was 85% of the time. But now my self test has yielded no bad breath and I have been doing it almost every 15 minutes because I am so happy! Even licking the back of my hand back when I had BB would yield a foul smell and now even this test accumulates none of the results I used to have before!

I cannot tell you how much of a relieve it is to have my BB cured. Like I said earlier, I am a very outgoing young man. I am 22, President of my Fraternity, have had multiple relationships over the past 2 years even with my BB, and have no problem striking up conversations with anyone (only if I had gum in!). But let me tell you my BB was debilitating mentally. I would constantly be conscious of my breath, which I could usually smell myself, and the motions of those around me when I talked. My little sister would always tell me my breath smelled like shit (not the nicest way to put it!) and my friends around me always poked fun. I always took it with a grain of salt and embraced my bad breath, which I encourage all those who suffer to do!

A funny story is this... My best friend and an old roommate in the Fraternity ALWAYS poked fun at my breath. I would poke fun back, of course, at myself and at his expense to. He would say things like "HEY! We have an old guy sitting on our front lawn (of our Fraternity house) who no one knows. You should just go talk to him cause your BB will scare him away!" This is just one example of many. But never once did I ever let my breath get in the way of what I want to do, either academically, socially or professional. I became a leader of over 100 men, I volunteer for St. Jude's Children Hospital, was a Big Brother, had various female partners, among many other accomplishments. All these accolades came while I had BB. And let me tell you my BB was BAD!!!

So what I am trying to get at is don't let your BB let you down or stop you from what you want to do. I am not trying to brag to make you all who still suffer feel bad, but to show you there is hope even if you still have BB. The only thing stopping you and YOU! I know it sounds cliche but by stepping back and looking what I did accomplish while my breath literally stunk like "shit" I can honestly say this whole experience make me a stronger, better person. I hope you can all find light in this terrible situation as I did and realize that you cannot let your BB control you or your dreams.

If you have any questions at all please post them here. I am here for questions about the wisdom teeth, moral support and life advice. No questions, expect maybe a scientific dental question :) , is to big or too small. God bless and good luck!

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

FANTASTIC vman,
Exactly what was causing my BB too since the age of 15. I had been told i had BB before then too, but i had poor oral hygiene back then. This whole sequence of events made it feel as though i was born with BB.
I started asking dentists if i had anything that might be causing BB when i was about 21, none of them suspected the situation with one of my wisdom teeth might be the culprit, so i conceeded that my teeth must be fine. If only they had suspected it, i would have saved myself 20 years of hell with this shit.
You were lucky that you realised your gums smelled. My source of "shit" was right at the back of my mouth where everything generally STUNK anyway, so it managed to evade my detection.
Anyway, congratulations! - its made my day reading your story, thanks for sharing it.
bbdude
Total Newbie

Post by bbdude »

congrats!
Just out of curiosity, if you somehow posted a picture of your Xray, would we be able to see that pocket?
Also, how can you localize the smell to a single tooth? That's been a mistery for me. My whole mouth is smelly. It doesn't matter where i poke at.
vman
Total Newbie

Post by vman »

I can try and get a copy of my x-ray from my dentist but they would have to email it to me since I live in a different city than where I had the procedure done. I'll be out of my parents house here by tomorrow and I am about an hour away from where I have all my dental work done. But I will try!

Here is a link though that shows two pictures that looked exactly like my tooth (1st picture) and exactly like my x-ray (2nd picture). Hope this helps a little bit...

http://www.doctorspiller.com/pericoronitis.htm

As for localizing the single tooth I'm not to sure how I stumbled on to it. I think if I would chew gum in this area it would come out smelly or what not. I know I discovered it two summers ago and did nothing about it for a while. Now I am kicked myself in the head!
firebreath
Junior

Post by firebreath »

I became a leader of over 100 men, I volunteer for St. Jude's Children Hospital, was a Big Brother, had various female partners, among many other accomplishments. All these accolades came while I had BB. And let me tell you my BB was BAD!!!
Incredible vman! what a feat!!
You really should be awarded a medal of honour! \:D/
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

I welcome you. and applaud you, because I never could do all that volunteering. Because I am chronic
Iv found it completely hard to go to school, but I am earning my associats degree in pharmacy technician online. So I am hoping I am better by the time I have to start working
Congrats. Thanks for sharing your story.
I really wish more people would
danger
Master

Post by danger »

vman wrote:I can try and get a copy of my x-ray from my dentist but they would have to email it to me since I live in a different city than where I had the procedure done. I'll be out of my parents house here by tomorrow and I am about an hour away from where I have all my dental work done. But I will try!

Here is a link though that shows two pictures that looked exactly like my tooth (1st picture) and exactly like my x-ray (2nd picture). Hope this helps a little bit...

http://www.doctorspiller.com/pericoronitis.htm

As for localizing the single tooth I'm not to sure how I stumbled on to it. I think if I would chew gum in this area it would come out smelly or what not. I know I discovered it two summers ago and did nothing about it for a while. Now I am kicked myself in the head!
that pic of the tooth is pretty much exactly like the tooth where i am getting the worst smell from

halitosisux, if you see this
was that similar to the tooth that was causing you problems?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hey danger, by the way that doctorspiller site is excellent. My tooth never looked like the picture in that link but more like the top picture in this link:-

http://www.doctorspiller.com/extractions_2.htm

Pericoronitits is when actual infection starts and I only occasionally had bacteria get in so deep that it became VERY painfully infected for a few days deep into the jaw. This was almost guaranteed to happen if I physically tried to do anything, like deep irrigation etc.

p.s. archimonde/snobuni, if you still have the photo of my tooth in your emails can u please let me know cos I cant find my pics and my emails got deleted.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

if i look closely in a mirror now under a light, i think i can see a little pocket behind my tooth where a lot of crap is gathering, or maybe i am just imagining it

could you see this, sux?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I dont really want to feed your imagination if indeed you are imagining things, but any area of gum surrounding any submerged area of tooth crown IS a pocket, but not necessarily a pocket of infection as occurs with periodontal disease whereby the gum "seal" between the inside and the outside of your body has been breached and a disease process has been initiated, leading to odourous discharges of foul chemicals into your mouth.

The pocket I had around my tooth was big enough to push a syringe into well over a centimetre deep - so just imagine what was going on in there and what also came out of there - imagine if your toilet had a similar structure inside it where material and germs could hide undisturbed without being affected by the flushing - gives you some idea of the mechanism at work.
block
Total Newbie

Post by block »

my 50cents....

I'll be having 2 wisdom teeth removed in 10days, one impacted-completly hiden. one is 1/4 impacted(I belive this one is causing some bb)...(X rays show they are in allmost horizontal position..)hope all works out well
I am worried, I heared many complications are possible..like jaw can become unfunctional, nerve damage...my friends best friend had that happend, etch....... :/

ICE
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:I dont really want to feed your imagination if indeed you are imagining things, but any area of gum surrounding any submerged area of tooth crown IS a pocket, but not necessarily a pocket of infection as occurs with periodontal disease whereby the gum "seal" between the inside and the outside of your body has been breached and a disease process has been initiated, leading to odourous discharges of foul chemicals into your mouth.

The pocket I had around my tooth was big enough to push a syringe into well over a centimetre deep - so just imagine what was going on in there and what also came out of there - imagine if your toilet had a similar structure inside it where material and germs could hide undisturbed without being affected by the flushing - gives you some idea of the mechanism at work.
it is weird
when i used to get a horrible taste in my mouth i used to always think it was from the tongue but since i started focusing on my wisdom tooth i think i can sense coming from that part of my mouth

again, i could be just imagining it
danger
Master

Post by danger »

block wrote:my 50cents....

I'll be having 2 wisdom teeth removed in 10days, one impacted-completly hiden. one is 1/4 impacted(I belive this one is causing some bb)...(X rays show they are in allmost horizontal position..)hope all works out well
I am worried, I heared many complications are possible..like jaw can become unfunctional, nerve damage...my friends best friend had that happend, etch....... :/

ICE
block, are you from the uk?
if so

are you paying to get them removed or have you had to wait because you are getting them done free?

how long have you had to wait?

i will be interested in how you get on, try and keep us posted
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

danger, in one simple sentence there, you just explained exactly how the cause of my BB evaded me (AND MY DENTISTS) for so long. My whole mouth always STUNK so I never had a CLUE that the situation with my wisdom tooth so far back in my mouth was the source. That's how easily something like this can get overlooked. I know people will read this and say how DUMB could I have been, but believe me, I was so busy looking at my tonsils and my throat and my tongue and my beautiful clean healthy shiny white teeth, it was just so easy to overlook how something so minor and right in front of my face could have such far reaching effect elsewhere else.

When nature chose to grow teeth in our mouthes, I dont think it foresaw the problems it might lead to - like BB and heart disease and horrendous tooth ache etc etc.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:danger, in one simple sentence there, you just explained exactly how the cause of my BB evaded me (AND MY DENTISTS) for so long. My whole mouth always STUNK so I never had a CLUE that the situation with my wisdom tooth so far back in my mouth was the source. That's how easily something like this can get overlooked. I know people will read this and say how DUMB could I have been, but believe me, I was so busy looking at my tonsils and my throat and my tongue and my beautiful clean healthy shiny white teeth, it was just so easy to overlook how something so minor and right in front of my face could have such far reaching effect elsewhere else.

When nature chose to grow teeth in our mouthes, I dont think it foresaw the problems it might lead to - like BB and heart disease and horrendous tooth ache etc etc.
i can understand why you would overlook it

since i got the all clear from my dentist in march i have not even contemplated it to be something to do with my mouth. that is why i have been doctors 3 times since

there is even the sticky at the top of the general section about the wisdom teeth cure that i honesly never paid any attention to until very recently because my dentist convinced me it was nothing to do with my teeth
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic