Your Email Address:

First Name:

wisdom tooth diagnosis

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Sally

wisdom tooth diagnosis

Post by Sally »

Hi Guys,
I braved a visit to the dentist today (extremely embarrassed as I said before - he's gorgeous! which makes things ten times worse.)

Anyway following a very uncomfortable and slightly awkward conversation about my BB he inspected my mouth and had a good look at my back wisdom tooth.

I have had an xray on this before and its horizontally impacted below the gum so they wouldn't extract it.

Anyway my hunk of a dentist seems to think that this may be the problem now... and wants me to keep using my dental routine of flossing/washing and waiting!
Then go back to him in 4 weeks time for another check !

Maaaannnnnnnnn - why can't these professionals give a straight decision on anything anymore!

a frustrated Sally xxx

Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

what a dick

omg!!!!!!!!
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

Im sure youv already been flossing, washing, and flossing.
Whats the wait for. You shouldve demanded an appointment to remove it right away.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hey Sally, well done for being so brave.
I still have one bottom wisdom tooth in, which like yours is horizontally impacted. Mine is very deep below the gum and isnt giving me any problems at all, but typically a tooth like this will be so close to the surface that the gum next to the adjacent tooth with which it has impacted against becomes "breached" and bacteria easily get past this "seal" along with oral debris. This can lead to decay and obvious symptoms.

Last November I had the other bottom wisdom tooth out. This tooth was normal apart from the fact there was no room for it. Half of it was embedded into the rear of my mouth. I only realised fairly recently (in terms of the amount of time spent solving my BB) what a stench was coming from around the gum of this tooth. When your whole mouth and tongue stinks and no dentist or doctor you ever saw points out this potential BB causing situation, its very easy to miss.

As far as I know, a dentist cannot extract such a horizontally impacted wisdom tooth, it's usually done under general anaesthetic at hospital because they are usually more complicated to remove than standard teeth. This is probably where your dentist is heading, and he should have explained this to you. Maybe he did but you were too busy lusting :shock:

Some people have had wisdom teeth (and other molars) extracted to rule them out as BB possibilities but unfortunately they turned out not to be the cause. My advice to you is follow you dentist's recommendation on this and CERTAINLY if you can detect any odour from around the gum get them extracted ASAP.
Sally

Post by Sally »

thanks guys.. x

Hey Hali

my wisdom is also below the gum and isn't really giving me any problems at the moment.
I really really dont relish the though of going into hospital to get it extracted!
Real fear of hospitals ! I'm convinced I'd come out missing a leg or something...

I just checked and cant really smell anything when I check around the gum line....
Maybe I'm just reaching for any reason on the BB...

Will go back and see what he says

xx
celica

Post by celica »

O yeah dentist will not pull your molar or wisdom tooth here esp. they,re not getting a lot of money by pulling out teeth. You need an oral surgeon for that. My dentist told me she wont pulll my teeth because of BB. i have mine pulled out long time ago back home . All you have to do is tell the dentist I want this to be pulled out and they will pull it out so long as you pay them. It cost me a dollar to have it pulled out and no infection or pain that much. No x-rays too but of course to go there cost you $15000 round trip plus hotel are very cheap. Dentist are cheap too. Well my BB is still here so....its up for you
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hi Sally,
Dont forget that my remaining wisdom tooth, which sounds the same as yours, isnt causing any breath problems for me at the moment either. If you dont detect any odour then its probably not worth extracting it (as far as eliminating a potential BB cause). But remember that we can develop familiarisation to such odours in the same way that we can with our actual bad breath, so its possible you might not be able to detect the odour for yourself - try asking your dentist to test, now that you've broken the ice over your BB.

A few months ago I would have probably advised you differently, based on the fact that "cured" had no reason to believe his wisdom teeth were behind his BB, which was also his experienced dentist's opinion, but yet it turned out to be. You have to decide whether its worth the risks, but knowing that leaving in teeth in such a situation can easily lead to decay, abscesses, pericoronitis, etc.

Unless there's any sign of the tooth protruding or interfering with the seal of the gum, then I would leave it for now and focus on other areas. The fact your dentist discovered and now suspects this tooth might be the cause of your BB makes me think that he wouldnt have made such a statement without good reason.

Edit: forgot to say that sometimes with such impactions, the other teeth which are being impacted against can become damaged/cracked etc, leading to problems which might be invisible because its below the gum. See what your dentist thinks. Remember that teeth themselves can smell bad, its not always the gums, and you'd have no way of knowing a particular tooth smells.
celica

Post by celica »

Oh I mean 1500 not 15000 for round trip ticket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic