Your Email Address:

First Name:

GERD meds did not work! Help please!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
untouchable05
Total Newbie

GERD meds did not work! Help please!

Post by untouchable05 »

Hello everyone

I visited my doctor because I felt heartburn, bloating, a knot at the back of my throat and experiencing bad breath of course and have continued to spat out the occasional tonsil stone. I had done research and everything led to GERD and even my doctor diagnosed it to be GERD. It has been almost a month of taking doctor prescribed Omeprazole and I've seen not difference in my breath or the knot feeling at the back of my throat, the only thing that stopped was my heartburn. At this point, I Feel defeated by my bad breath since countless of so-called remedies never seem to work.

Has anyone experienced something similar or any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

deedee8
Re: GERD meds did not work! Help please!

Post by deedee8 »

I hope this finds you well.

I went to the doctors only to find out that my childhood allergies (that I thought I grew out of), had flared up. My sinus cavity was completely congested (even though I didn't feel like it was), causing bad breathe, dry mouth and a weird smell that filled the room. I've been on Zertec and Flounouse (I think thats how you spell it) and it has helped tremendously. Although not completely gone, it is getting better!

Additionally, I brush after every meal and I scrap my tongue in the morning. Believe it or not, the "dry mouth" tooth paste, dries my mouth out. I switched to a Fluoride Toothpaste by Crest and it's been helping.

Best of luck to you, I hope this helps.
Bb5yrs
Advanced

Post by Bb5yrs »

today is my first day for gastritis medications and I am taking three medications. nexium, givascon, disflatyl. I will give feedback when I can. but for today I feel a reduction in the bad taste in my mouth.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus Surgery - Check
Dentist Examination - Check
H Pylori - Positive & got treatment - Check
Post nasal drip - tried temporary medication to stop it but BB didn't go - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

stop taking that garbage, it will not help, acid is never the cause of bb
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
blessedrich

Post by blessedrich »

untouchable05 wrote:Hello everyone

I visited my doctor because I felt heartburn, bloating, a knot at the back of my throat and experiencing bad breath of course and have continued to spat out the occasional tonsil stone. I had done research and everything led to GERD and even my doctor diagnosed it to be GERD. It has been almost a month of taking doctor prescribed Omeprazole and I've seen not difference in my breath or the knot feeling at the back of my throat, the only thing that stopped was my heartburn. At this point, I Feel defeated by my bad breath since countless of so-called remedies never seem to work.

Has anyone experienced something similar or any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Yes GERD can be a very real cause of BB. But the issue is the gasses from the stomach itself may not be the cause of the smell. But it creates an environment for bacterial to grow and thrive in your mouth throat and sinuses. You if you take GERD medication and expect that alone to improve your breath you may be looking at the wrong place.

Do you have anything like periodontal disease or dental issue?

When you suffer from GERD for a long continues time you have a high risk of developing oral issues like periodontal disease and other dental issues. So even you stop the GERD (or silent GERD; some people don't know they have it because theirs is silent.) you will not see any change in your breath if you don't break up the bacterial colonies that has already be developed in your mouth. The most effective way to break up the bacterial is up here on this site hereviewtopic.php?f=1&t=6511. I must tell you I passed over this for months because I really didn't have the guts to try it. But after reading more about it i realized it was't that dangerous if you stick to the rules.

Get a water pik and use 1-2 times a day. Don't give the bacterial the chance to settle in you mouth. Because of the GERD, bacterial has an upper hand in your oral and nasal cavities.

Try to get 8hrs of sleep everyday. Mostly chronic GERD is as a result of weak LES. Enough sleep will keep the LES closed for most of the day. Also the condition in your stomach will determine how bad you GERD is and how bad your GERD is will determine how bad you Breath is even though it is not causing the smell directly. So stuff like Candida,parasite and bacterial overgrowth in the tummy may increase your GERD and increase your bad breath. GSE keep all in check.

Experience with this tells me that all situations are different but after try and error you will be able to find what really works for you.

May God guide you and turn this ordeal into a blessing for you.
blessedrich

Post by blessedrich »

Jimi Stein wrote:stop taking that garbage, it will not help, acid is never the cause of bb
Jimi it may be the root cause. But if you think taking those med alone will give very little relief if any. But keeping the gasses in check is a step in the right direction.

But i will suggest doing that with life style changes rather than medication because the medication can actually make it worse. Stopping the production of stomach acid can actually create a conducive environment for bacterial to grow in the stomach which will eventually make the GERD worse.
Most Effective life style Changes:
Eat 3hrs before you sleep.
Have enough sleep at least 8hrs.
Don't over eat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic