Your Email Address:

First Name:

Mucus drainage and cilia motility

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Mucus drainage and cilia motility

Post by halitosisux »

I am wondering, that the most common symptom with BB sufferers is PND. Has anyone ever considered the possibility or heard of the nasal cilia as a cause of BB?

It makes sense because cilia are the mechanism that causes mucus to move along and flow in the right directions, allowing the sinuses to drain etc. If mucus doesnt flow it stagnates and smells.
Cilia motility (correct functioning) can be tested by placing a small sugary tablet into the nose and timing how long it takes until it reaches the throat and can be tasted. Has anyone had this test before?

This kind of problem could just start out of the blue and is probably sensitive to all kinds of influences, like hormones etc and there might be some correlation with the common age of onset of BB that most people seem to report, around the age of puberty.

Anyone with upcoming ENT appointments or considering making ENT appointments, it might be an idea to make a note of asking for this test and for opinion on this.

From wikipedia:-
"It has recently been shown that biofilms are present on the removed tissue of 80% of patients undergoing surgery for chronic sinusitis. The patients with biofilms were shown to have been denuded of cilia and goblet cells, unlike the controls without biofilms who had normal cilia and goblet cell morphology."

TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Good topic. I've often thought about this too.

What are the treatments if you tested positive?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Have to do more research on this. There could be ways of stimulating the movement of the cilia with medication. If there is and it gave someone improvements it would be a breakthrough. If not then medication to thin the mucus so that it becomes less sticky preventing it from stagnating as much, and simple measures like irrigation and lots of fluids.

I notice lots of people get improvements (in BB and PND) through such measures, and maybe it shows this is nothing to do with infections or abnormalities in the nose afterall, but something as simple as the cilia. Things like steroid nasal sprays, could they be having some sort of hormonal or chemical effect on the cilia? I know cystic fibrosis has something to do with the same mechanisms that keep the lungs and airways clear, but because the nose is what drains onto the rear of the tongue and straight onto the breeding ground of the tongue, this makes it so significant potentially regarding BB.

I cant remember who it was, but there was some guy recently who swore he cured his BB by using some ancient practice of passing a piece of "string" into his nose until it comes out of his throat and then he pulls the end out through his mouth and then moves it gently back and forth allowing it to clean the stagnated mucus away. He said this practice TOTALLY cured his BB.
Total Newbie

Post by 620 »

That would be me lol, but it was only temporary.....comes back after a few days for me....I think it has to do with a low grade sinus problem that antibiotics, sinus surgery, and irrgiation didnt cure...IDK what else to do from here, but just keep irrigating and keep searching....
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

lol thankyou for coming forward..
have you read much about how its biofilms usually responsible for chronic sinus infections and how difficult (but not impossible) they are to eradicate. Fungal balls and fungal growths and allergic reactions to fungal presense?

Bacterial biofilms are the same process as what builds up and blocks drains. And think about the smell that makes.
Total Newbie

Post by 620 »

Yes I have read up on it and you are absolutely right, but IDK what else to try...I removed all four wisdom teeth for orthodontic treatment 2 years ago, I Had sinus surgery with septoplasty and submucosal resection, and my breathing has improved tenfold! I had tonsils and adenoids removed as a child, although I can see where one since grew back alittle, and I do cough up tonsil stones occasionally, and I use a unrolled, bent paperclip to try and pick them out but its time consuming and,ery annoying, with the gagging and all...But despite all of this, I cant seem to rid my bb...I have concocted solutions ranging from crushing garlic and gathering the liquid, gse, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, oil of oregano, you named it, it has been up my nose one way or another, no relief...or if I did get relief, it didnt last long....IDK what else to do, but as long as I wake up out of my bed every morning, I'll keep trying.. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic