Your Email Address:

First Name:

Dairy Elimination....one more time!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
TiredofThis

Dairy Elimination....one more time!

Post by TiredofThis »

Kim and I would just like to post again and let everybody know that we were both cured by eliminating dairy from our diets. Kim says that her breath smelled of poo, mine smelled of rotting dairy. So this has helped both of us. Kim also said that she takes lactose pills if she needs a little cheat every now and then. Brave of her, because I don't think I'd want to risk it by stinking again, but it works for her.

So we're just putting it out there again in case any new members may have missed my post a few months back about dairy elimination. Not saying it will work for everybody, as I know many have tried it already with no success. But if it can cure even one more person, we'll feel glad to have helped :)

Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Interesting to hear. Could you provide some more details? Such as how long after eliminating dairy from your diet did you see results? How did you come to the conclusion that dairy was the problem? From what age were you suffering from BB? These details would help a lot, thanks :)
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

2 other questions (sorry):

- What sort of dairy intake would you have during the course of a typical day? For example did you drink milk? Have butter on your toast for breakfast? If you could write out your typical daily dairy intake pre-cure that would be great.

- In another thread you mention that you still eat eggs. How come? I thought eggs were a dairy product and one of the strongest ones at that.

Look forward to your reply :)
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

I was reading somewhere recentlythat the rotten egg gas some of us taste, is directly in eggs. I forgot the name of this gas. My bb originated from a filling that fell out of tooth. I could taste pure poop and rotten egg from this tooth. I didnt get pulled for quite a while and it messed up my oral flora, Now I believe there are many things contributing to this . Any way I was on antibiotc and it completely got rid of whatever strain of bacteria was causing rotten egg. I still have bb, sometimes I dont think I am conic anymore. But I am so thankful to not taste that rotten egg anymore,, and back then I would chew mint gum. GOD I cant imagine what people were smelling. No wonder why the man I love left me. I am going to try really hard to liminate dairy.
Here are a list of some potential causes
Bad tooth (fixed) lived with for 2 years til got insurance
bad diet
bad eliminations (constipation)
dehydration
possible gestational diabetes twice (pregers diabetes)
Alot of milk and cheese.
Hardly ever flossing
Mother barely took me to dentist ,had medicaid (just lazy)
Smoked alot in teen yearsand noticed mouth getting bad, but not haliHavnt smoked since 19
Using colgate or crest, and listerine, my whole life
Stuffing myself.
My wholle life til I got hali I brushed mainly only once
Although my mother brushed twice flossed, and gargled she never stressed how important it was to brush, I guess I have a lazy mother. My mother is a nurse now, but no insurance though job.2 younger sisters 1 is 10 and 1 is 15. The fifteen year old is getting bad breath. I had a talk with her, telling her to put a spoon in bathroom its very important that you start scraping your tongue. Its definately hali in the making. My mom denies my breath, but I had a talk with her about sister. She just shrugged and said, (probaly because she never brushes her tongue) Well I am sure she doesnt if her mother never told her to. My lazy ass mother, I just want to punch her.
I didnt want to ambarass my sis by telling her she has bad breath, but I started noticing it everytime I was around her. and I wouldve appreciated someone honest. I just told her about tongue scraping and saying she doesnt need to suffer like me. She also goes along with my mom in denying my breath, maybe she'll be honest with me since I am with her
This wekend I had both sis over for grilled burgers. I was doing good til I ate. But afetr wards the stench came through my nose so strong that my 10 year old sis could barely stay in the same room with me. She kept going to the kitchen to catch a good breath of air and to blow her nose.
TiredofThis

Post by TiredofThis »

Questions answered:
I noticed a difference within less than a week. Possibly within two days or so but I didn't ask anybody until almost a full week after eliminating the dairy. I was too scared to ask before then in case it wound up not clearing up my breath.

I noticed that dairy was my problem because I had "cheese breath". People would actually call me that. It literally smelled like rotting cheese/milk. it would come out of my nose as well, the same smell. So I eventually (I don't know why it took so long) put two and two together and disciplined myself to exclude dairy. Now I was going to start introducing things back into my diet one by one..like chocolate, cheese, etc. But I'm just too scared to do it and probably will just never eat those things again. LIke I said, Kim has had great success with the Lactase pills but I just can't bring myself to trying it. I'm too afraid of the problem coming back again and now that I'm starting to enter into a new relationship, i don't want to turn the guy off by having stinky breath.

I suffered with this problem from when I was 10 years old until just a few months ago...I'm 23.

I really wouldn't consume much dairy throughout the day. Actually, I'd say I'd consume far less than the average person because I was aware of the problem it caused me. I never drank milk. Never liked it much. I did eat cheese occasionally but I LOVED chocolate. I'm not sure if the chocolate was the culprit since I usually ate some form of cheese/butter every day and not chocolate. And since the breath seemed to be chronic, I pretty much pegged cheese as the problem.

Eggs are considered dairy but they are obviously not the problem for me. I'm pretty sure the cheese is. Now, what I've also noticed is that I can eat things WITH milk and such baked into it, like cakes and breads...even meals like lean cuisines with traces of milk in it. I will not eat anything with cheese, cream sauces, chocolate (unless it's dark), etc.
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

tired of this, you say bb is gone, but is your tonuge back to normal, is it clean and bacteria free. Do you have to also still use any special products
Thaks
TiredofThis

Post by TiredofThis »

My tongue was never bad to begin with. I have a slight case of Geographic Tongue but other than that, my tongue was pink and nice. The back (like most people) is always a bit coated but it's nothing that a tongue scraper can't get off. I have a bad gag reflex though and usually can't even get to the very back.

I found it odd, and still find it odd, that the only thing this dairy problem caused was bad breath. No gas, bloating, PND, etc. My parents have slight lactose intolerance as well and they get the stomach problems, etc. I'm the only one who just gets the foul breath.
girlie girl
Advanced

http://searchwarp.com/swa259889.htm

Post by girlie girl »

FYI:
Lactose Intolerance Can Cause Bad Breath

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad breath is a common condition that many people face throughout the world. It is also a very sought after topic among individuals of all ages. There are different factors that account for the development of bad breath and hence different solutions are needed to combat it. In this article we are going to understand the connection between bad breath and lactose intolerance.

First of all we have to understand what lactose intolerance is? Firstly, lactose is a sugar, which is found in milk and other dairy products. After these foods are eaten, the lactose will be metabolized (broken down) by an enzyme known as lactase. Unfortunately, sometimes the body does not produce lactase or there is decreased production of lactase in the body. When this happens, it will result in gastric problems and the lactose will not be broken down in the gastrointestinal tract.

When the lactose is not broken down due to the absence of the enzyme lactase, this will result in symptoms which are similar to stomach virus and hence it is difficult to discern whether the person is suffering from lactose intolerance or stomach flu. Usually, it is only through examining each individual's medical history and different tests that it is determined that the culprit is lactose intolerance. If you suspect that you are suffering from lactose intolerance, do share with your doctor the list of specific foods that cause you to feel uncomfortable. This will help your doctor to make a diagnosis sooner.

The signs and symptoms of lactose intolerance are nausea, cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea and an exceptionally bad breath. These symptoms occur because the body is not accepting the lactose. Usually, the symptoms will start to clear up once the lactose is removed from the body. Among the most significant symptom is the occurrence of very foul breath. It can be so bad that your friends around you can smell it even if they are many feet away.

Typically, people would assume that the individual is suffering from poor oral hygiene but in reality the individual is suffering from lactose intolerance. The lactose when ingested by lactose intolerant individuals results in gastric symptoms mentioned above and the bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract acts upon the lactose rich foods and results in fermentation that produces foul smelling gas. This gas unfortunately is exhaled out through the lungs and that is how bad breath and lactose intolerance are connected.

The connection between lactose intolerance and halitosis can be further confirmed through a hydrogen breath test. Normally there is a very little amount of hydrogen present in the breath but in a lactose intolerant individual who has ingested lactose rich foods, the hydrogen content is going to be much higher than the normal. This shows that the lactose is not broken down properly.

After you have understood the connection between bad breath and lactose intolerance, you may be wondering how did you become lactose intolerant in the first place. That answer lies in your genes. Lactose intolerance can also occur with the advancing age. So if you find out that you are having halitosis and unable to find any apparent cause to it, then you must look into lactose intolerance as this might be the culprit causing this problem.

http://searchwarp.com/swa259889.htm
TiredofThis

Post by TiredofThis »

Thanks for that post, Girlie.

For those of you who do the dairy free diet and do find out that it is the cause of your bb, how would you feel about slowly re-introducing the dairy back in and taking an enzyme pill to help? This is what Kim does and I've been doing it now too. She really got me thinking. I'm STILL scared about it making me stink, or suddenly not working, but I've been doing it. I take one pill with each meal. Today I've had a breakfast sandwich with cheese, raviolis and a cannoli for dessert, lots of creme and chocolate chips in the middle! Tomorrow I'm going for pizza with a friend...I haven't had pizza in months. It used to be my favorite food.

So lactose intolerance is most definitely my problem and it feels good to be able to remedy it with a Lactaid pill. I must just have a very moderate case of Lactose Intolerance since I don't get the gas, bloating and such...so I'm thinking one pill is all that I need. But man, was I nervous about eating that cannoli!
katie
Junior

Post by katie »

It's interesting I'm reading this today, as I was at a kinesiologist yesterday, who diagnosed me with liver fluke!! He advised me to stay off dairy for good, as if you can't digest it properly it becomes food for a whole range of yeasts and parasites. Anyway, Im now on clove oil, wormwood and black walnut. I've been feeling pretty bad the last few weeks, foggy, irritable and depressed as well as strong tendency to overeat especially sugar and dairy. Fingers crossed that this is the right diagnosis. But anyway I tested highly sensitive to dairy, even though I only ever ate yoghurt and chocoloate and occasionaly butter. So after reading your post it will be really interesting to see the effect of no dairy on my breath. Many thanks for posting your story, as I had missed it first time round!
girlie girl
Advanced

Post by girlie girl »

Tired of this...

I am a lot like you were... tongue pink usually, no smell on floss, no bloating, gas, etc. I don't have most of the symptoms, but I do get nausea and diahhrea quit often. In the blood type diet, I'm an O, it says no dairy. I am trying to follow that diet. My mother is lactose intolerant and I know it tends to run in families. I remember my mother as a child having occ. bad breath, but now I never smell it on her. She watches her dairy intake and takes the lactace pills. I am going to do this also. Did you cut it out strictly or just moderately? And you said you noticed a change in a couple of days? What do you eat? Any suggestions would be great. I sure hope this is the way for some of us. I will let you know if it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sally

Post by Sally »

I've also been on a dairy free diet for about a week now and to be honest I've not noticed any difference in BB..I'm still tongue scraping and flossing everyday....
I will keep it up though as sounds as though a few of you have seen a difference...
Are you completely off dairy and anything with dairy in it?

Really struggling to give up cheese ! :?

x
Sally
TiredofThis

Post by TiredofThis »

Girlie,
I actually did have a smell on floss, which I left out in my earlier posts. When I would floss between my back upper molar, there would be a terrible stench!! Once I stopped the dairy, I didn't have that problem anymore. Now that I've been consuming the dairy again and taking the pills, no smell. But that is also an indicator for me to let me know that my bad breath is back, since I can't smell it myself. If it smells, I'll know it's becoming a problem again.

At the time, I eliminated milk, cheese, ice cream, chocolate, cream, etc. I used soy milk, Smart Balance light spread in place of butter and ate soy ice cream. I didn't eliminate things like cake and cookies (stuff with milk and butter baked into them), but I would never top anything with butter or cheese. That would have just done my breath in. On occasion I WOULD go out to restaurants and get whipped mashed potatoes and I know there's butter in those...I wouldn't have any problems. So I must be able to tolerate a small amount, a very VERY small amount. I don't want to chance it though. If I eat anything dairy at all, I'm taking a pill.
TiredofThis

Post by TiredofThis »

Sally,
I'm no longer completely off dairy, as I'm experimenting with Lactaid Fast Act pills. Three times a day with meals and any snacks that I want to eat that contain chocolate or cream. So far so good. I always ate things like cookies and cakes with no chocolate or cream of course, and never had any problems with my breath.

It may not be working for you because you don't have an intolerance like I did, but keep at it. After about a week or so you should be noticing a difference. In less than a week, my breath was completely gone.
Sally

Post by Sally »

thanx T.O.T

did you have any other symptoms with the intolerance to dairy, as I tend to get very bad heartburn and back pains about an hour after eating anything with dairy in it - could this be a sign of intolerance too?
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic