Your Email Address:

First Name:

People cough, scratch, and sniffle.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ElGrizzle
Advanced

People cough, scratch, and sniffle.

Post by ElGrizzle »

So when people cough, scratch their nose and face, and sniffle, whenever I walk into the room, does that mean there is a smell, or is it just some sort of allergic reaction to me? lol.

I have heard from people that, "it smells in here". But I have had a lot more of the first reaction without anyone saying it smells. But I have also had people put their finger just under their nose and hold it there for a long time.

Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Allergic reactions.

There's a forum dedicated to that condition, most members - i'd say 90% - don't have BB or body odor, they just make people cough/sneeze without anyone knowing why.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Pe ... 040?page=1

I suffer from that too. I suspect some people here don't even have BB, they only have that PATM condition, and they think they make people cough because of a bad odor. I'll repeat, coughing is not a reaction to a bad odor, it's an allergic reaction to an odorless irritant coming from our skin/breath (oral and nasal).

Some people, such as myself, have both conditions (BB + PATM) but it seems pretty rare, and some have the trifecta (BB + B.O + PATM) which is even more rare. I'm 33 y.o, i've had BB since i was 11, and PATM started when i was 26 or 27. It took me a while to differenciate the 2.

People who are reading this post and don't have PATM are probably wondering wtf i'm talking about and think i'm crazy, just click on the link i pasted and read. I'm a regular on the french forum and when i mentionned that i make people cough/sneeze/sniffle/etc, they laughed at me and thought i was insane. At least on here, there's a few members who have PATM, i know who they are just by reading their posts (Elgrizzle, Meowkity, Jimi, Sneezeeffect, etc), they often mention making people COUGH. On the other hand, we have regulars who seems to have a pretty severe BB and don't make people cough (say Elliot, Thanatos, Larc) i don't remember any of them mentionning making people cough. Sorry to be name dropping like a mofo and you can correct me if i'm wrong, i just wanted to make my post clear so people understand that PATM is another condition different than BB, but they're obviously somewhat related. Please back me up here if you have PATM so people who don't have it will believe me, i have soo much more to say about this topic but enough for now, i wanna hear from other people 1st.
ElGrizzle
Advanced

Post by ElGrizzle »

Im going to read that, but first I would like to point a few things out.

Before I had, or thought I had bad odor, I wouldn't cough, or sniffle, or rub my nose if I smelt something bad. I still dont cough, sniffle, or rub my nose if I smell something bad. So most likely there is no smell associated with coughing, sniffling, or rubbing noses.

On the other hand, my friends and others I dont know as well will always roll down the window as soon as I start talking. So then the odor is way in the back. And it is possible that it is being breathed out. But could it be all the time? Or could it just be sometimes (like when I smell a nasal fart)?

There is indeed evidence that there is a smell, and that is when I reach back behind my uvula or throat and smell it.

I have also heard people say, "it smells in here", but it is not as often, and it is a possibility that it is only when I talk.

Perhaps I should learn in my head to dissociate the PATM with the malodor. The only thing I believe that makes me bring them together is when I can smell a nasal fart.

I just walked into the reception at the medical clinic, two people started coughing (which could be normal), but as I left, one lady had her turtleneck sweater covering her nose and looked very angry. Either I was emitting a smell, or she thought that she had the exact same condition herself.

So indeed, we do have "olfactory reference syndrome" which is an obsession with the issue. Otherwise we wouldn't give a damn. And smelling a bad smell coming from ourselves is definitely an originator of that syndrome being inflamed by possible reactions.

When someone else has BB I never say anything about it, and do not react. I have also never smelt odor come from someone's nose.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

i have always been bemused by the posts on here when members say people cough and sneeze round them
because even though my breath stinks, i never get those reactions

if i had to choose between the 2, i think i would rather have PATM than chronic bad breath
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

danger wrote:i have always been bemused by the posts on here when members say people cough and sneeze round them

if i had to choose between the 2, i think i would rather have PATM than chronic bad breath
Danger, if i didn't have PATM, i'd be amused too, PATM sounds like something out of the 'Twilight Zone' if you don't have it. And yes, PATM is much less a problem than BB, which is why i read this forum everyday and the PATM forum like once a month.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

Archimonde wrote:
danger wrote:i have always been bemused by the posts on here when members say people cough and sneeze round them

Danger, if i didn't have PATM, i'd be amused too, PATM sounds like something out of the 'Twilight Zone' if you don't have it. And yes, PATM is much less a problem than BB, which is why i read this forum everyday and the PATM forum like once a month.
i said bemused, not amused, just thought i should make that clear

i am guessing when people have bad breath as well as this PATM, some might think their breath is worse than it is due to the coughing and sneezing
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

ElGrizzle wrote: I just walked into the reception at the medical clinic, two people started coughing (which could be normal), but as I left, one lady had her turtleneck sweater covering her nose and looked very angry
They coughed because of your PATM condition, and the angry lady covered her nose because of your nasal odor, simple as that. 2 different conditions, 2 different type of reactions.

Personally, i don't have a nasal odor. The only time i ever had someone covering their nose with their sweather eventho my mouth was closed was when i gargled with and drank Grapefruit Seed Extract, i could smell the odor coming out of my nose, that's how bad it was. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually i developed nasal odor 24/7 or even body odor, i get worse every year and develop new, out-of-this-world medical problems, i'm such a freak. Jimi said recently his body is breaking down, again i wouldn't be surprised if that happened to me too, there's something terribly wrong with some of us.

Elgrizzle, how old are you? Did your BB start at the same time as PATM? Having talked to a couple of people who have both conditions, it appears some developed both conditions at the same time, while others (like me) got BB 1st then PATM years later.
Last edited by Archimonde on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

danger wrote:
sorry about that.

danger wrote: i am guessing when people have bad breath as well as this PATM, some might think their breath is worse than it is due to the coughing and sneezing
bingo! That PATM forum really opened my eyes and i learned to differenciate the 2 conditions, before that i was very confused.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

Archimonde wrote:
danger wrote:
sorry about that.

danger wrote: i am guessing when people have bad breath as well as this PATM, some might think their breath is worse than it is due to the coughing and sneezing
bingo! That PATM forum really opened my eyes and i learned to differenciate the 2 conditions, before that i was very confused.

no problem regarding the misunderstanding, i just wanted to point again that i was not making light of the situation

and about nose odour, can people with it smell it?
say if you closed your mouth and breathe out through your nose can you smell it?
i have tried that and cant smell anything at all, that is why im sure i dont have it, not yet anyway, it is the one thing that i am dreading getting, i think that would send me over the edge
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

danger wrote: about nose odour, can people with it smell it?
say if you closed your mouth and breathe out through your nose can you smell it?
I'd say if you don't have nasal odor and suddenly you start smelling from the nose (for any reason), you'll be able to smell it yourself. But if you have nasal odor 24/7, you can't smell it.

Btw, nasal odor 24/7 seems extremely rare, much more rare than BB and PATM, i think there's only 2 or 3 people who post on this forum with nasal odor, not that i know everyone.. i'm only going by what i read.
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

Its really hard to detect it
I dont think you can always detect it.
Certain things I eat make it go farther
Right now I cant sense it.
My son confirmed it
SOmetimes when I sneeze I can detect it better
Using the neti pot to rinse sometimes I can just smell trash in my nose and throat.
When my tongue is really white its the worst wich leads me to believ its just the same anaerobic bacteria thats on our tongues
There was once a time when I just gave up , I am still tired of all this routine. I didnt feel like buying special stuff, I just wanted to use crest for 2 minutes and move on. I decided I would have to live like this forever and my man had left so I didnt care anymore. And thats exactly when the nose smell started. I think the bacteria just sloly krept its way up from my tongue to tonsil, to back of mouth right up to nose, and its probably possible to populate right up to the forehead I could imagine
But I ddint notice sneezing until I got bad breath
Danger you may not believe this but my mouth could be closed and if I enter a person from waaaay I mean waaay across the room will startt sneezing and couing
I walked into a building last week and someone around the corner of a wall just started having a sneezing attack
I like it when they cant tell why. And thats why I think it has more to do than just a smell.
I have heard Jimi say people in the car over react.
And its possible its not us but you wonder why they pull up and start reacting
I was in my car recently, and these kids wre walking, as soon as I came upon them they strated reacting, my window was slightly down
So even if it wasnt me God this really messes you up
My son will sneeze, and ill say was it my breath? and hell say gosh can I sneeze
And Im like no, now was it my breath
Im glad he helps though, becayse without him I wouldnt be able to know whne Im better or not.
I really just think its fungus or anaerobic bacteria, the same thats in our mouth.To have hali you most likely have n overgrowth of anearobic bacteria, so I think its the same for the nose odor.
I am getting alot of relif though with my metronidazol, chlorhexidine, and thera xtra strength paste and rinse and nose drops.
My youngest sons father the love of my life came by for awhile friday, and I had my first seminormal day with him, that I havnt had in a very long time ( years) He evn leaned in to make the first move to kiss me. I really think I am on my way
I just hope it sticks when I am done with metronidazole
Thanks my friends
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

meowkity1, having read most of your posts, we can conclude that antibiotics dont' help with allergic reactions. You said the other day that your sister told you that your breath was fine eventho she was coughing and scratching her nose. Same thing with your son who was sneezing.

So, it looks like metronidazole has no effect on patm, would you say that's correct?
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

there was 1 person on that allergy forum who said they were cured by removing a cyst on the adnoid
I really think it has to do with adnoid disese I am definately getting mines out
danger
Master

Post by danger »

kity, i do believe what you say, it is just i never heard of anything like that until i started visiting this forum

kity, i hope you continue to have success and that you might be onto something
i always enjoy reading your posts, whether it is for educational purposes or just your way with words
and even when you are struggling yourself you always try and help other people the best you can

good luck
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

archi I would say you are right. But Ill wait until I am done trying all thera breath
We all know a normal piece of mint or something can make peple sneeze
Thera does have a slight mint mediciney taste so its possible their sensing the thera breath , and could be why people say it makes them worse be caus eit has a sort of chemical taste and smell. So in about a month Ill stop the thera breath and see if people are still allergic. People were not alergic before bb, so I still think its something. Probbly fungal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic