Your Email Address:

First Name:

Why do you think people would lie to you?

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
sorethroat
Total Newbie

Post by sorethroat »

Hi,

I've had really smelly breath and pain in my throat/esophagus now for almost a year- could be a reflux thing and I've starting on Proton pump inhibitor medication. I discovered this forum yesterday and I think it's great!

I've been thinking about this- why do you think people would lie to you about your breath smelling bad- Seriously-
leaving the qwacks aside trying to sell products and stuff, a medical doctor would have nothing to gain from lying to you, either would a friend or partner. Unless it's like if someone very ugly (and there are very few who are genuinely) asked you if you thought they were ugly, what do you say?

Reading the forum, I've come across many people with stories about people lying to them, despite the reactions they get from say, people on the street or at work, etc.

My experience:

My doctor and partner both said that they couldn't smell anything, but I can smell it myself and other people I socialize with have certainly reacted to it- and I don't mean coincidentally one or two people have touched their noses or taken a step back.

Why would people, especially a doctor, feel the need to lie about this, (especially since it can signify some serious medical conditions...like a lung abscess, collapsed lung, reflux esophagitis, fungal infection, liver failure, diabetes...cancer). Not saying I have or want these conditions, but these are things even the worst doctor knows about, so to smell something and not investigate is really really bad!

Oh- the point was, why do you think people in your life lie to you about if you have bad breath??????

keepthefaith
Total Newbie

Post by keepthefaith »

Because it is hurtful and can be percieved as being very rude. I can count on one hand the number of times anything has been said to my face and i know some pretty direct people.. Instead i have to contend with helpful suggestions such as eating more vegetables or 'dentist' stories..like 'oh i really have to make a dentist appt soon'...usually not directly to me but def. within earshot and the pain of it never gets any easier. I too have a dr's appt soon and plan on discussing this new possible disorder and am stressing just thinking about it. However i don't have a choice especially with the possible cancer link. wish me luck!
sorethroat
Total Newbie

Post by sorethroat »

Hm-
Because it's hurtful and rude, I think maybe you are right, the next person I ask I will phrase the question differently- not do you think I have bad breath?- or Can you smell my breath? Too easy to say "no", but instead will let them know that I already realize I have a problem, that's why I'm asking them in the first place, and ask them what it smells like at that moment, etc.

Though I'm still confused on why my doctor (and from the looks of it, many other people's doctors too!) would lie. They deal with gross/embarrassing stuff everyday, like sticking hands up peoples asses, incontinence, impotence, etc., so....I guess having bad breath is even worse that all that!

I will try my new idea and see what happens!
keepthefaith
Total Newbie

Post by keepthefaith »

You see, I have been very enlightened and encouraged by the posts on this forum all offering hope. It shows me that many witty intelligent informed and well read people discuss here. Not the type of people who would encourage intentionally cruel remarks ,although halitosis is a fact like most subjects that put people on the spot or could make them feel uneasy it's sometimes easier just to lie...denial is not just a river in Egypt :lol: not i think because halitosis is the mother of evil but because it's a taboo subject. I know for a fact that my condition is discussed and laughed at in my absense...as i said before the majority of people you will meet in life are non-confrontational their reaction is no different to the 'does my bum look big in this' dreaded question. The conclusions i've drawn here is that true sufferers know who we are, unfortunatley we cannot always expect honesty from those we love or respect, they honestly think they are saving our feelings.it's true doctors should know better but then again they are humans too..wishing you well & look forward to your updates.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

such a stupid post, probably Rosenberg the Monkey or Cryptkeeper is pigging again on this forum.

***k you

you just deserved the stupidest post of the month award

why would anybody lie to you? Do you think when a doctor is clueless and he knows he cant help you after he checks your teeth and unnecessary stomach exam will tell you you will have to live with this with the rest of your life!!

Do you think they want to be responsible for s*****e, some people are on the verge of killing themselves because of chronic bb. And then you ask suck a ****ing stupid question. And why family is lying to you?? Same reason, there is no help!! Would they say yes you have horrible bb all the time, you will have it forever, you will never have friends anymore, have girfrlend. My mother for example wanted to kill me with a gun because I just mentioned bad breath. She was so fedup with this, yes she is a psycho on heavy meds but still.

Maybe you understand why people lie to you, would you tell somebody about their bb if they ask you and you smell it strongly, you see their sad eyes, depressed face, ready to just gave up with their life.

You are such a ****ing stupid cow to ask this question. Sorry but you are. Stop trolling around ****ing monkey.
vilenin89
Junior

Post by vilenin89 »

Don't be an ass he clearly isn't trolling.

Some people simply don't notice or have become immune to it. In the case of my parents this is it. This made me think it had to be something metabolic like TMAU, since it was TMAU, but my ENT identified 3 things that may cause me to have the room clearing fecal BB. I have a nasal infection, bacteria and drainage in my sinuses, cryptic tonsils and I had a deviated septum I just got fixed it.

See a good ENT that will help you, tell them you have it confirmed by some of your friends directly, of course all check your gums and for impacted teeth with a dentist and don't lose hope. Be proactive.
sorethroat
Total Newbie

Post by sorethroat »

Thanks for the replies, guys,

Politeness, immunity, and variation in people's sense of smell...Seems reasonable. I suppose then, my partner somehow developed immunity, which is.....great news! One less thing to worry about!

Good luck with the ENT appointment, no need to stress about it! And if you don't feel comfortable with the doctor, so what, find a different one. As you said, doctors are people too!

I saw an ENT a while ago, maybe it's worth going back to one- I don't feel I have any nasal infections or a deviated nasal septum, but who knows....

Thanks again
vilenin89
Junior

Post by vilenin89 »

tonsils man thats key
Colekist
Total Newbie

Are you serious?

Post by Colekist »

I came across this forum because I was looking for some kind of support. You always feel like you're in this by yourself. Most of what I've read so far is supportive, although I've also seen downright rudeness and a complete lack of empathy from some posters, but oh well that's life!
I finally got up the nerve to ask my boyfriend of almost 3 years if I had "bad breath". He looked at me and said "No." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I pleaded with him to be honest with me and told him that him not telling me the absolute truth was not going to help me. He stuck with his story and said that he could sometimes smell my breath "in the morning", after I've eaten certain foods, and after I've been drinking alcohol....well duh...isn't that everybody! I believe he's somehow become immune to my horrendous BB. Which is a good and a bad thing. On one hand he's not horrified by my breath like most people, but on the other hand I really don't have anybody I can do a breath test with because unless I've been eating or drinking something funky, he says he doesn't smell anything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic