Your Email Address:

First Name:

Its all about the bacteria

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
stinky

Its all about the bacteria

Post by stinky »

While past research has connected oral malodor to the proliferation of certain bacteria on the tongue, recent research from the Forsyth Institute and the University of Michigan School of Dentistry indicates another group of bacteria is associated with fresh-smelling breath. Investigators used gene sequencing to compare bacteria found on the tongues of individuals with halitosis and those with fresh breath. While not all samples taken from halitosis sufferers had the same bacterial makeup, three particular strains -- Streptococcus salivarius, Rothia mucilaginosa and a previously uncharacterized strain of Eubacterium -- were the most prevalent species on the tongues of subjects with fresh breath. From the American Dental Association:Study identifies 'good' and 'bad' breath bacteria

While past research has connected oral malodor to the proliferation of certain bacteria on the tongue, recent research from the Forsyth Institute and the University of Michigan School of Dentistry indicates another group of bacteria is associated with fresh-smelling breath.

Investigators used gene sequencing to compare bacteria found on the tongues of individuals with halitosis and those with fresh breath. While not all samples taken from halitosis sufferers had the same bacterial makeup, three particular strains�Streptococcus salivarius, Rothia mucilaginosa and a previously uncharacterized strain of Eubacterium�were the most prevalent species on the tongues of subjects with fresh breath.
The most prevalent bacterium found in the fresh-breathed subjects, Streptococcus salivarius, was found in only one individual with oral malodor and at very low levels, the investigators reported.

The study also identified six species of bacteria most associated with halitosis: Atopobium parvulum; a phylotype of Dialister; Eubacterium sulci; a phylotype of the as yet uncultivated phylum TM7; Solobacterium moorei; and a phylotype of Streptococcus.

In each of six individuals with halitosis, we found several species that were not found in those with fresh breath,� said Bruce Paster, Ph.D., Forsyth senior staff member. �Conversely, in five individuals with fresh breath, we identified species not generally found in those with halitosis. These findings would suggest that certain bacteria are associated with bad breath, and that others, the normal microflora, protect against it.�

The Forsyth study is part of an ongoing effort to determine genetic sequences for all species of bacteria that colonize the oral cavity. In the current molecular analysis of tongue scrapings, scientists have found 92 bacterial species, of which 29 have never before been described in the scientific literature.

noptical
God

Post by noptical »

Crap, so we've got bacteria that the human hasn't discovered yet.
yogs

Post by yogs »

Just wondering how old is this article?.
I had tried contacting the researcher (Bruce) when I heard abt his work in a News report on TV last July. Didnt get any response though. I think i will give it another shot sometime soon.
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

At this point in time, all of the various bacteria that are normally found in the oral cavity are not known to science.

This doesnt help our problem. Lets hope theres plenty of research being done on this.
stinky

Post by stinky »

I dont know how old the above article is just found it on the net.

Me personally I can trace my problems back to an antibiotic i used(penicillin). It was after using this i got chronic bad breath. The antibiotic might have killed of good bacteria or allowed bad bacteria to flourish. I have used the same antibiotic since and while I am on it my symptons r 100% relieved but when I stop using it the bad breath comes back.

I have tried every mouth wash (blis therabreath dentlyph etc etc) and toothpaste under the sun with no success.

From same article:

"We are presently looking into a variety of such rinses to determine which ones work best on the bacteria we have identified," Paster notes.

Then there's the possibility of developing microbial rinses that would suppress the activities of one and support the activities of the others.

Sigmund Socransky at the Forsyth has tried to displace bad bacteria by swishing billions of good bacteria around his mouth and by packing them into his teeth. (No, he doesn't have bad breath; it was an experiment.) So far, he hasn't had much luck in getting them to take up permanent residence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic