Your Email Address:

First Name:

My endoscopy is tomorrow

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
mindyb
ungrateful trash

My endoscopy is tomorrow

Post by mindyb »

Hi all-
I'm set to have my endoscopy tomorrow at 2pm! Who knows what the outcome will be, but maybe I'll get some answers. I will be sure to ask the dr. for a copy of the photos, etc.
I called to see if they didn't have to put me to sleep. They said its my choice, but they don't recommend me to be awake. That my body will naturally reject the tool and it'll be uncomfortable.
Whatever, I may be able to change last minute when I go in.
The total charge is 920.00! My insurance is only covering 700, so I'm left to pay 220. It'll be worth is to find out if it is or isn't causing my bb. Today my bb was horendous too for some reason. So maybe it'll be the same tomorrow and my dr. will see what I mean! Wish me luck!

wnaysha
Master

Post by wnaysha »

mindy,

I also have an appt for an endoscopy on 7th of jan, ye i know next year.... ;)

please ask your doctor to take a lot of pictures, esp ur esophagus, and don't forget to share your pictures and post them, i will too.

Good luck!
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey Mindy,

Long time no hear from! Good luck on your endoscopy tomorrow. Either way you will get some answers, so it's definitely a good thing. Let us know how it turns out :D
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

Hi-
Well I had the endo. done. They put me completely to sleep. I talked to the dr. before I went down and told him what my concerns are. Candida, bile, HHernia, etc. I even said I wanted to speak with him afterwards and I wanted to see pictures.
Well I awoke to the nurse who wheeled me out to my husband to drive me home. He gave my husband pills and said he found erosion in my stomach that were pre-ulcerous. But nothing else unusual. As we were on the car ride home, my husband said "the dr. said you were concerned about bad breath. You don't have bad breath." I KNOW he was just trying to make me feel better, I'm going to ask my husband more about it today and get him to admit the most time my breath is bad. Why can't people even loved ones just tell you the truth. I've had 15 yrs of comments and hell, so don't do me any favors by not telling me. Ugh!
Oh, and I didn't get any photographs. I'm calling the office today to ask them to send me a copy of the report.
Dr. gave me Kapidex. Anyone familiar with this drug. He said it would repair my stomach and esophogus.
I'm not sure what to think at the this point, but I guess I can scratch this off my list of issues.
willing2lose2win
Total Newbie

Post by willing2lose2win »

Hello Mindyb

Do not cross this off you list just yet. I think we are on to something here. I had the same procedure done about 2 weeks ago and when I left that day they gave me the same thing...KAPIDEX. They told me it would reduce acid in my stomach. I was told my stomach was inflammed (and I know for a fact it has been for several months).

They also took a sample and had it tested for h plyori. The sample came back negative, but looking at the pics they said I had all the signs. So they put me on PrevPac. I been taking it for about a week and a half and I am getting worse. I believe the antibiotics are allowing the candida (yeast) to grow out of control. I had also taken a stool test for h plyori. I called the office today about the stool test and they said it was also neg.

I am stopping the PrevPac today. I called the office to get my pics from the endoscopy, but will not get them for another day or so. I will post my pics and I think you should get yours & post them too. Maybe we all have the same thing going on.

Also do you know whether you had a upper and lower endoscopy done? Or was it just upper?
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey Mindy,

If you could post the pics once you get the report from your doctor's office that would be great. I would like to see the pics of your esophagus and stomach. Reason I ask is because one guy on here told me that the doctors did an endoscopy on him, saw the same white patches as I had in my esophagus, but they told him it was completely normal and not to worry! Of course the white patches are not completely normal, so I just want to make sure that your doctor doesn't think the same thing.

Other than that, it's good that you had the endoscopy done. :) I have never heard of the drug Kapidex. I assume it's a protein pump inhibitor like Nexium or something. Maybe after your stomach heals from the inflammation, then your bb will go away. :)

There is one other possibility though, perhaps your husband is not lying to you. Try to grill him for the truth, but if he insists that your breath is not bad, then maybe it's a possibility that it's not. :)
wnaysha
Master

Post by wnaysha »

I kind of have the same problem,

although I have been able to convince my brothers and sister that i have bb because I make them smell my breath, after seeing me suffer so much, my mom is denying the fact that i have bb. She doesn't even want to accept it, but she gives me mint and gum when we r going somewhere, but she would swear on anthing to tell me I'm wrong.

Mindy,

the only thing you can do is, eat a lot of smelly stuff, and ask your husband to smell ur breath, once he notices a bad smell coming from you, he will try to pay attention all the time and notice ur bb. ONLY if you want him to smell you, otherwise I say it's a good thing he can't smell it so let him think u don't have bb.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Mindyb,

it`s obvious u have reflux and I can only pray that once u finish the ppi you`ve been prescribed, ur bb will go away...
But it is not very likely to happen. Probably the erosions will heal and the acid reflux will turn to a silent one but you will still have halitosis.
Are u planning to have all the tests related to reflux ( 24 hour ph measuring, manometry, barrium swallow, etc.)?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sorry for going off subject slightly here, but Wnaysha, does your mum usually carry mints etc around with her? Do you ever know her to use them for herself when you are not with her?

I know a lot of people who chew gum and eat mints but they dont have BB or at least it doesnt appear to be something they are self-conscious about. And its pretty normal for someone who does like a mint or some gum, for whatever that reason might be, to offer it to others. Maybe your mum doesnt realise or appreciate how sinking it can be for a BB sufferer to be offered a mint or gum, but that cos she knows you are conscious of having BB she just tries to take your mind off it thinking she is helping you to mask this, rather than trying to mask any actual BB.

Do your brothers and sisters admit you have BB or did u kind of force them into submission lol?

I just cant imagine your mum would be so knowingly cruel, that if your breath was truly SO bad that she would rather risk hurting your feelings than to put up with your breath if it really was so bad. I hope you understand what im trying to say. Also, if your BB truly was so bad that she couldnt put up with it, then gum would be futile anyhow!

I come across a lot of people in my job with BB (roughly about 1 in 10 people to varying degrees of intensity) and sometimes I have to put up with their breath for hours, but I just endure it, I dont make a grab for my pocket and thrust a gum in their face.

Whilst on this subject, an idea popped into my head. Has anyone ever tried purposely ENSURING in some way that their breath smells foul as a method for testing whether a confidant is being honest or not, whether they are trying to protect feelings etc? I know there is a phenomenon where some people seem to be able to smell a person's BB and some cant, but realistically this is only likely to be due to familiarization because they themselves have enough of the same BB compounds produced in their own breath to make them become immune to the smell. Whenever there's the true smell of shit in the air (e.g. like the smell of real sewage in the air from a sewage treatment works or a farm) you NEVER hear of anyone saying they cant smell it - EVERYONE can smell it!

So, Does anyone know of any simple non-toxic chemical, for instance, that a few drops placed onto the tongue would give ASSURED BB for a minute or so, just to find out the "truth"? Because, then, if nobody says they can smell your true BB, then either its true that you DO NOT have BB, or you only have intermittent BB - which will at least confirm its not due to the typical straightforward causes of tongue bacterial overgrowth which is never intermittent.
wnaysha
Master

Post by wnaysha »

Halitosisux,

that's a good thing you pointed out there,

It would be a good idea to put something smelly on our tongue to see if others are telling the truth, I would say eggs with a lil bit of fried garlic would be good ones to try.

My mom was the first one who told me I have bb, I didn't even care nor trust others when they reacted to my bb. now she swears I don't have bb, but i know I do because others tell me i have it, especially new people i meet, so how would someone that doesn't even know me react to my bb?

I am now able to smell my bb, and it does smell like sewage, I don't know how exactly, but as you said I have also noticed that my mom and younger brother's breath smells like that, not all the time. just sometimes, but it goes away really fast, within a day, unlike me.

So, maybe we all have the same problem, our digestive system is not strong enough and the digested food comes up, but in their case their body is stronger than mine and their bb goes away.

Today I went to pick up my brother, and his breath smelled like sewage, so It was a great opportunity for me to see what he's doing different, when I asked him, he said he didn't have his lunch. :-k SO maybe because for so many years in middle school and then high school I skipped my breakfast because I didn't like milk, and instead had a piece of chocolate, while at the same time I ate the most unhealthy (fried, spicy, large meals, fatty) foods, maybe that's why my body couldn't handle it and all of these problems started.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

wnaysha,

Yes, even something like certain foods which will give anyone who eats them shite breath for a while, like eggs - but I was also thinking of the dynamite approach to this, such as whatever the chemicals are inside a stink bomb (some sulfurous chemical I think?) A tiny drop of this liquid on the tongue or onto the back of a front tooth for example - purely to test whether someone is hiding the "truth".

It always worries me to read on here, when someone has been told in the past that their breath smells and now people are insisting to them that their breath no longer smells.

Wnaysha, I know you wont like me saying this, because you get reactions and you are convinced you can smell your own breath etc, but, intermittent BB is quite common and most people have it from time to time without realising. I know you feel something within your digestive process is causing you to have BB and I'm not questioning this, but just reminding how important it is to keep an open mind no matter what you believe is happening.

As I recently said in a previous post, the psychological impact of being actually told you have BB - for all of us on here this penetrates so deeply, its like a wound and the scar will always be there. It can distort our minds so profoundly. Its like someone plants a seed in our heads, and in time this seed grows and before we know it this problem has completely taken over our lives.

Anyway, just an example of what I'm saying, I've got two nephews, one is in his teens and the other is an adult now. Their mother has always strived to ensure their dental health is good - whether its of a consquence of this or not, they are fortunate that they can breathe right into your nostrils and all u can smell is pure clean air. *BUT* on days when they are on school holidays etc where they lapse and have simply not brushed their teeth, they always have BAD breath. So, all im saying is, when it comes to bacteria and odour and our own bodies, its impossible to know for sure, because if something THAT simple and minor can make their breath smell (when it doesnt usually) then it truly can be for such a MINOR reason that on certain days our breath might be good or it might be bad - which is the case for everyone, including BB free people.

Now, please dont think I'm now implying something is wrong with your teeth. I'm merely trying to make the point that I think a lot of people might have exaggerated BB fears based on what people have told them in the past and on reactions on certain days, that their own self perception is that they have something which is far worse than what they truly have.
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

Its amazing people wont be hones wihus, but as sufferers would befinately tell someone close to us. For the past year and half I v realized my 15 yr old sister is getting bb. She had a coating too. I told her if she doesnt get a tongue scraper, to get a spoon to use sometimes and just dry it off and keep in her drawer.
yogs

Post by yogs »

Did anyone else had luck with endoscopy?

I have an appointment in couple of weeks, and would appreciate any insight.
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

mindyb - any luck with the new meds??? Anyone else have luck???

I want to have another endoscopy done soon. I know I have a sliding hiatal hernia already, so I want to look into surgery.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic