Your Email Address:

First Name:

Metronidazole & Fluconazole (Combination therapy for BB)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey Hal,

Are HCL supplements the same thing as digestive enzymes?

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

snoopsister, as far as I'm aware betaine HCL is widely available everywhere in healthfood stores. In the UK I got mine from Holland & Barrett, as cheap as vitamin C.

Its been many years now since I tried all of this, so memory is fading a bit. But, if I remember correctly, you can buy mealtime supplements which contain all kinds of important digestive enzymes, such as pepsin, and Betaine HCL. Or if not you could just take them individually. There's heaps of info on what is important and what isnt. Store staff should be able to help too. These are very commonly used supplements.

Snoopsister, with your reflux, do you suffer much with the more painful symptoms of the actual acidity from your stomach or do you tend to suffer mildly with this, where its mostly food backing up your esophagus and just the mild discomfort that would come from this. It would be great if everyone else who suffers with esophegal reflux could give some input too. A lot of people on this site have stated that they suffer with reflux, but I dont actually remember a single person making any reference to painful acid symptoms such as having heartburn.

KT, I think HCL supplements are sometimes sold as "digestive" supplements which will contain everything required in one package, including the Betaine HCL and certain important enzymes. They are also sold separately for obvious reasons. So its a matter of finding out what you think you need and then getting what you need. Hope that answers your question and if anything else pops in my head I'll post it up.
why me?

Hypochlorhydria

Post by why me? »

I have been looking at this alternative to my bb occurance. I read post on here from Jimi re: this as a possible cause. He posted it on 12/30/05. Most of the things on there are similar to what I've been reading in many of the articles I've found.
http://www.badbreathhalitosis.com/artic ... CauseofBad

I've been having reflux problems for some time and have been addressing it w/ my gp. He's prescribed me medications to help w/ the acid reflux, but had me see an ENT. I went Monday and all he did was prescribe me a "stronger" medication for acid reflux. I don't necessarily have heartburn, but my stomach burns a little when I eat certain foods and I sometimes feel like I have a lump in my throat. I told the ENT I coughed up a few tonsil balls, but it's only happened three times. They smell horrible. He said it was normal.

I've been reading up on symptoms and solutions for hypochlorhydria. I've also spoken to my gp about possibly having candida and he told me that's not something he's very familiar with and I probably don't have it because I'm not HIV positive. It was hard even asking him about it because I read some of the other posts on here and others who've tried to get their GP to treat this condition ended up w/ the same response or no help!

I've tried almost all possible solutions on this site. I'm hoping hypochlorhydria is the problem because there are solutions for it. I've read many articles and people with this problem. GP seem to treat it like Candida (they do nothing). I have a follow-up w/ my GP over some blood work that was done and I'm going to speak w/ him about this situtation. I'm familiar w/ Hypochlorhydria and it's symptom's and causes. I started to take Golden seal 2x daily. I'm taking GSE once a day and I'm going to take B-12 capsules and vitamin E. I would like to start taking Betaine HCL to assist w/ the lack of acid in the stomach, but most of the articles I've read say to have a GP assist me with dosage because too much can cause problems. I'd like for my GP to test me first and confirm I do have it. There are two tests: 1.) Gastro Test; 2.) PH test with PH paper.

I've also read liquid crystalloid electrolytes are needed to assist w/ acid fluid in the stomach. Lack of acid in the stomach causes the stomach to not digest foods properly and inability to kill bad bacteria in the stomach, causing yeast/candida growth. When I eat sugar and diary foods, my bb is the worst (especially when I drink beer). Speaking of beer, the past couple of years, I've gotten really bad reactions from drinking. I have a high tolerance for beer, but lately I noticed my body reacts differently to it. I seem to get drunk faster and I have a hard time "recovering" the next day. This is not normal for me! I've cut out eating mushrooms completely and I'm trying to eat better. I have a huge lack of concentration and I easly forget things. I'm 38 yrs. old and I feel like I have alzheimer's already. I have lots of bloating and burping after I eat meals. I stay in a seated position for at least two hours before lying down after a meal. I have back pain and other musle aches. I'm not enormously overweight, but I do exercise (go walking/stair stepper). I've also been experiencing hair loss the past few years.

I found a couple of articles regarding hypochlorhydria that I'm going to add below. They were very interesting. Let me know what you think!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _78900837/
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _79757242/

I'm going to keep doing research on this. I have a very bad geographical tongue and the back is covered w/ a thick white coating. The GSE and Golden Seal haven't/don't seem to work just "yet", but it's only been a couple of days. I'm going to purchase some vitamin E and B-12 supplements today and start those tomorrow. I'm not familiar w/ Liquid Crystalloid electrolytes, but I'm going to do some reseach on this and see what it is.
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

I am also going to purchase b12 tablets and vitamin c sugar free. OFF of beer and weed for 3 days now. :D
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Snoopsister, what about HCL and digestive enzyme supplements? Will you also be trying this too?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi "why me?", some good information there.
I like the description of "blind spot" in one of those articles. This problem truly is exactly that. As well as being very common, its symptoms can be totally misleading. You could have this and be completely oblivious to it. And yet it can be so damaging - and DEFINITELY lead to problems that can cause BB.

I'm fascinated to know more about it. I had an endoscopy a few years back when my doctor said its the only thing that will prove for certain whether or not I have helicobacter and to try to find out why I was having the symptoms of stomach ulcer at the time.
I stayed awake during the procedure and the surgeon told me at the time that there was no sign whatsoever of ulceration or gastritis due to helicobacter, but yet I'd get excruciating pain when i'd eat certain things, especially wine or beer, lemons and anything acidic, and on an empty stomach I would have probably passed out with the pain. But that doesnt happen to me any more and I have no clue why. I've put it down to smoking because smoking is the only factor which I can think of that changed at the time, and smoking is linked with hypochlorhydria. I've never had the symptoms of actual acid refluxing, but I do occasionally get reflux like most people, yet its never what i'd describe as acidic. But there are certain other things that make me curious. I have hypoglycemia and I have asthma, I get bloated no matter what I eat and no matter how much I eat.
I mentioned in another post whether any BB connection could be relating to undigested protein in the small intestine - and I just read that this truly can happen with low stomach acid - so I really think that this and any associated microbial overgrowth in the small intestine would be the pathway to causing BB if it is doing so.
I will point out that I'm not suffering with BB, but I'm curious to find out more and also to try to help anyone if I can at the same time.
Its worrying to think that whenever anyone complains to their doctor about their stomach symptoms the assumption that too much acid is behind it and medication is aimed at reduction - yet, from the information it seems even more likely that stomach complaints are due to there NOT being enough acid. So doctors end up adding to the problem. When you think how damaging low acid can be to the body and how easy it is to test for hypochlorhydria, it should be routinely tested by doctors like urine tests are made for diabetes or kidney problems etc.

I hope there can be enough interest generated on this subject and with everyone on here trying slightly different approaches that something conclusive will come of it.
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

This flagyl and biozole combo are kicking my ass! I am achy, no apetite etc. This is part of the side effects. I am also not drinking or getting stoned so that could also be it :D
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

I had metallic taste for 2 days, it's going away now. I am also having nightmares and mood swings from crying spells to excitability. I do think my breath is improving, but I am not going to say any more due to my believing I am cured and then bamm! I am keeping to the diet pretty well when I can eat. :-({|=
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

I had metallic taste for 2 days, it's going away now. I am also having nightmares and mood swings from crying spells to excitability. I do think my breath is improving, but I am not going to say any more due to my believing I am cured and then bamm! I am keeping to the diet pretty well when I can eat. :-({|=
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

I went on the website for flagyl sideeffects and I am experiencing some of the them
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey Snoop,

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's good information to share. :)

It's kinda hard to say what is causing the side effects really. It could be the medication, it could be that you've abruptly stopped drinking alcohol and smoking weed (withdrawal symptoms), it could be the die off effects from any remaining Candida in your body, it could be that your body is now detoxing (again, since you are no longer smoking weed and drinking alcohol), or it could be a combination of all these things!

Just keep monitoring yourself, and if at anytime you feel like you are having any severe side effects, of course you should seek the advice of a pharmacist or medical doctor immediately.

Keep us posted on how you are doing, and good luck! :)
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

I was on metronidazole last year and experienced some of the side effects too. The first couple of days were fine and the rest was pure torture. I developed a hideous taste in my mouth and experienced major digestive upsets. I couldn't wait to finish it. Whether it worked for me or not I couldn't tell as I was too preoccupied with the adverse effects. I had read that you weren't supposed to take probiotics while on it but to wait until after finishing it before using them. Maybe that was the problem for me and I should have been taking probiotics all along. Oh well, c'est la vie.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey caramiamine98,

Was the taste in your mouth metallic like Snoops? Both taste disturbances and stomach upsets are reported side effects of Metronidazole. I remember back when I used to take antibiotics, I would get a weird taste in my mouth too. Sometimes it would be a metallic taste, and sometimes it would just be a strong antibiotic taste. It depended on what kind of antibiotic I took.

About the probiotics, many people have asked if you can take them at the same time as an antibiotic. There is nothing wrong with taking probiotics at the same time as you are taking antibiotics, it's just that the antibiotic is going to kill the majority of the good bacteria you are getting with the probiotic. Some people might ask "Well what's the point in taking a probiotic if the antibiotic is just gonna kill the good bacteria that's in it?" The answer is that antibiotics are not going to kill 100% of all the bacteria in your body, nor are they going to kill 100% of the good bacteria in the probiotic. There is going to be a small percentage of bacteria (both good and bad) that survive. So in my opinion it's beneficial to start taking probiotics while you are on the Metronidazole, just to get that small percentage of good bacteria in your gut.

Fluconazole is a different story. It does not target bacteria, it targets yeast/fungus. Therefore you will get the maximum benefit of probiotics if you take them during treatment with Fluconazole.
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi KT,

It wasn’t a metallic taste just a very bitter one that no amount of water drinking, toothbrushing, tongue scraping, gargling, etc could get rid of. As soon as I was finished with the metro, I started back on probiotics and have continued to take them. It’s possible that if I had taken them during my course I could have avoided the side effects. Most people don't have any problem with metro and find it very helpful. I wouldn't want to discourage any one from at least trying it to see for themselves. Cheers C
why me?

Update

Post by why me? »

I've been taking Vitamin E (2x daily); Golden Seal (3x daily) and B-50 (1x daily). I think I'm going to take the B-50 every other day or so. My urine was a very "bright" yellow 8) and usually it's pale because I drink about 86 oz. of water daily. I stopped drinking soft drinks and only drink non-carbonated drinks. My body feels a little better, but the bb is still there. I didn't take the meds the ENT prescribed me. It's a stronger dose of meds to reduce acid in the stomach. I still have my appt. w/ my GP this Friday and I'm going to ask him to test me for low acid in my stomach. If he doesn't, I'm going elsewhere. I'm even thinking of going to see a dr. for the digestive system/stomach. I have more energy due to the vitamin b.

Will post after my dr. appt. on Friday.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic