Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tonsil Stones, BB and Other Tonsils After Tonsillectomy

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Snobuni
Sheriff

Tonsil Stones, BB and Other Tonsils After Tonsillectomy

Post by Snobuni »

Like many people here, I suffered from tonsil stones and had my tonsils removed several years ago. Unfortunately this didn't cure my bb.

However, I've been looking around and apparently tonsil stones and bacteria can form on or in ALL tonsil tissues. Therefore, if you've only had your palantine tonsils removed, you may still have stones/bacteria in your lingual tonsils and/or andenoids, which may explain why most people aren't cured by standard tonsillectomies. In addition, if you had glandular fever (mono) as a teenager, or tonsillitis a lot (I had both), this can open up crypts in all tonsil tissue, and can cause stones and bacteria to gather.

I have very lumpy lingual tonsils which grow and shrink (perhaps with the growth of stones?) and rub against my throat, and I can feel when they are large and when the lump has gone. When I rub my finger over them, they smell really cheesy. I also get sore throats under my nose (if that makes sense) and itchy ears.

I just thought this might be worth investigating, as I'd dismissed tonsil problems as a cause ever since I'd had my palantine tonsils removed. I'm going to arrange an ENT appointment to have my remaining tonsils examined.

Here's a link to a medical/dental forum were this problem has been discussed http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=323514.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this :)

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hey snobuni!
ltns, we need to catch up!.. I'm still waiting for those naughty pics u promised me :-P

I read all the posts in that link you put up.
LOADS of important pieces of information to note. Particularly how the mum said she can correlate the episodes of trapped tonsilloliths in her young son's tonsils to his horrendous BB. Doesnt mean for certain tho that its his tonsils stones causing his BB, because maybe there's some other reason causing his BB, and its that which leads to the formation of his stones.

Sno, do you still get any stones?
Personally, I think the difference between a person who produces stones to someone who doesnt, is due to the culmination of several factors combining together. First of all, no doubt it depends on the "degree" of tonsil crypting. I also think it depends on any factors which allow bacterial overactivity, such as excessive amounts of mucus, oral chemistry, etc. I think there may also be some bodily reason why these stones and stench occur, such as rate of cell "sloughing", possibly relating to hormones in the same way that female menstruation is.

This, I believe, is also why some people can have REALLY bad teeth and gums and yet have clean breath, where others only need the most minor problem to turn their mouth into a sewer.

I dont really know much about lingual tonsils, didnt even know they existed until I found this site. Can they become crypted? The stench at the back of the tongue is generally considered to be because of the undisturbed and much thicker tongue papillae constantly being bathed in protein rich mucus. Any odours will tend to concentrate back there too. I've read plenty of cases where BB has been due to issues relating to the adenoids - confirmed by the removal. Is there actually any confirmation out there of any chronic cases of BB being proven by surgical removal of lingual tonsils?

I also believe that my wisdom tooth pocket and my tonsil crypts were, as far as bad breath goes, the same thing, and had I still had either, my natural susceptibility to BB, as I've just mentioned, would have allowed either to cause me to have BB. In anyone else they might not.

Interesting how so many people on that site reported that preceeding the formation and appearance of stones, their ears or eustachian tubes become itchy and irritated. This might be toxins being released from the bacterial processes that form the stone irritating the area. It might be a localization issue making it seem that whatever is going on with the tonsils feel like its happening elsewhere.

I had no end of sore throats as a kid. I dont know if I ever had strep infections. I do know that I'd have severe sore throats and fever several times a year. My sore throats never seemed mild like everyone else's.

You need a thorough all-over examination I think ;)
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

Removing adnoids and tonsils cured me and definately took away nose fart. I always had itchy ears, I was constantly getting bobby pins to scratch.
I am still well, Some coatings in the morings, but no bb. LIfe is good Iv been taking kids to the park everyday. Before I would go about 1 every 2 weeks. God answered my praeyrs. I am, so thankful
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

I am still very careful with protein and dairy, I think I just got used to cutting it out. My tongue papula still catches food, but no bb.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Sno, have you considered having your adenoids removed?
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies :)

Meow, had you had your palantine tonsils removed before your adenoids? What made you think your adenoids were the cause of your bb? How did you persuede your ENT to remove your adenoids?

I think I may have narrowed down the cause of my bb to either problems with my remaining tonsil tissue or a wisdom tooth. But my dentist had a look at my wisdom tooth and said that although the gum was inflamed the pocket is only 2-3 mm deep, which she thinks isn't deep enough to cause problems. So, my next step will be to get a referral to an ENT for an endoscopy to look at my adenoids/lingual tonsils.

It amazes me that I've been to see ENTs on 5 seperate occasions, and even had my palantine tonsils removed, yet not once did any of them think to examine my other tonsils with an endescope!! :-k
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

meowkity1 wrote:Removing adnoids and tonsils cured me and definately took away nose fart. I always had itchy ears, I was constantly getting bobby pins to scratch.
I am still well, Some coatings in the morings, but no bb. LIfe is good Iv been taking kids to the park everyday. Before I would go about 1 every 2 weeks. God answered my praeyrs. I am, so thankful
meow, did you have the adenoids removed at the same time as the tonsils? Did they use a scope to see any adenoid stones before the operation?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic