Your Email Address:

First Name:

Why do relatives not detect our BB?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Renato
Junior

Why do relatives not detect our BB?

Post by Renato »

I have asked my wife about my BB or nose odor, but she can not detect it. But she detects my morning breath, which I believe is the worse of BB.

I told her she should not lie to me if she want to help on my depression.

She swore to say the true. and suggested to visit a psychologist, she and me.

But everybody in my work or people everywhere have reactions and my GE confirmed my BB.

trouble
Junior

Post by trouble »

some people are just not as sensitive as others on smell. and everyone is of course not as sensitive on familiar smells (habituation).

what reactions do you get? i don't think that you should interpret too much in things like rubbing noses and so on...
iva
Master

Post by iva »

I have the same problem with my closest relatives, they tell me I have no problem, they won`t even talk to me, which is what I need most.
trouble
Junior

Post by trouble »

am i right, that your relatives say, you don't smell bad (except your morning breath, renato). and others do tell you?
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Both my parents could smell my breath, and both of them said things to me about it at some point in time.

I'm not sure why some people mention it and some people don't. I don't know why some people can seem to manage the smell while others cannot. And I don't know why some people would rather lie to someone and tell them their breath is fine when clearly it isn't. I guess when dealing with loved ones, it comes down to trying to spare their feelings.

The whole habituation thing I don't really agree with though. For example, if I eat some food and then throw away the leftovers, if I remain inside my apartment I can't smell the leftovers. However, if I leave the apartment and come back a few minutes later, I can smell the leftover food, but if I stay in my apartment for like 5 minutes then I become acclimated to the smell again.

The point is if I remove myself from the area of the smell, I can always smell it when I return. I think the same is true for bad breath sufferers. Unless your spouse, or family is within breathing range of you 100% of the time, I don't think they are going to become automatically acclimated to your breath. If your spouse spends the whole day away from you, and then meets you again in the evening when you are both home, he or she should be able to smell your breath again. And also if you are sitting on the couch watching tv while your spouse is in the kitchen or bedroom doing something, then once you two are within breathing range of each other then your spouse should be able to smell your breath again. So I don't buy into the whole acclimation thing when talking about other people.

Of course, I totally believe that you can become acclimated to your own breath. If it weren't for other people telling me about my breath, or the obvious reactions I got from people when I would speak to them, I would have never known my breath was bad. I could never smell my own breath.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I think the subject of relatives not being honest about a BB situation is mostly about concern. Everyone knows it take courage to ask another person if their breath smells. And to have reached this stage it signifies the turmoil that the person must be going through. I can always remember years and years ago someone saying you should never tell another person that they have bad breath because its DANGEROUS to do so. I never knew what that meant at the time, until it applied to me. So from a relative's position, it would be better if the person with BB who has tried everything to beat it, continues living with it obliviously, rather than knowing that they have BB and face life without any prospect of being able to do much else about it. All of us who know what this nightmare is about knows how perillous and precarious this problem can be to our mental state.

In my case in my mid-teens, my brother who had always been one of those people who enjoys to ridicule over something like BB suddenly started telling me I need to "get help". Later on he realised the devastation this problem was having on my life and started being different and trying to help, because I think he was worried. He was always honest and as "dangerous" as that was, it proved to be invaluable information to me.

On the subject of habituation, looking at it logically, if someone farts EVERYONE makes for the exit. You never see anyone saying they cant smell it. So its not like there is such thing as some people who can smell certain powerful odours and others who cant. Now, everyone has some degree of bad breath chemicals being produced in their mouth/nose/digestive system, and for some unfortunate people the level is high enough to give them perceptible bad breath, but in others it will be below the threshold of perceptibility to other people. But it might be high enough for their noses to have become habituated enough that their sensitivity to these bad breath odours becomes impaired. So bascially, they cant smell certain BB chemicals because their own body is producing them in great enough quantity that their detection has become impaired. So they wont be able to detect certain types of BB odour on someone else for this reason.
Renato
Junior

Post by Renato »

I just had a discussion with my wife this afternoon about my BB.
Im so depressive right now just because I think I discovered Bad odor also from my nose.

My wife told me I'm getting crazy and she is going to make an appointment with the psychologist and gonna show me she is not lying when she saying my nose and mouth odor are not bad.

She is also planning to ask somebody from my work if is there any bad odor from me.

I believe her, she is not lying to me, she just can not sense my odor.

I think is not a good idea to ask somebody from my work place, who is going to confirm my BB and who Im going to see everyday.

So we will see the psychologist.

She told me, if she confirm whatever she can not smell from the professional , than she is going to fight with me to find my cure.

The reaction from people I get are:

Stepping back

Covering their noses

Putting their fingers under their noses or smelling their hairs(womans).

Talking to me with a paper sheet in front of their faces.

In the elevator, without saying anything, now people take a deep breath before having a look on me.

a GE told me about my BB, but she could not help me and sent me to the ENT, who told me not related to my sinuses and suggested me to visit my denstist.

Three dentists said my teeth are in good shape.

Hope on December my life will change.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Renato wrote:
Stepping back

Covering their noses

Putting their fingers under their noses
Sorry to say but you definitely have BB, i get these reactions when my BB is at its worse. Mild BB doesn't cause crazy reactions like that, only people with very severe BB. If i eat big portions of beef/pork everyday, i start getting the 'step back' reactions after a while.

One time i tested a meat-only diet (Zero carbs), it seemed to be going well at the beginning and then i had a guy take literally 4 steps back! I thought to myself, what is this, am i in an episode of the Twilight Zone? I've always been fine with 1 step back but 4... that was surreal man. But the most humiliating reaction is when someone puts their finger (usually index) under their nose and keep it there for the whole conversation.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Would the most modern breath analysis tests be able to confirm such things? Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry etc.
Just sit there and watch the body language of others. You'll see these types of gestures innocently happening all the time. Have you ever considered that it might be their OWN lack of breath confidence that makes some people back away and put fingers under noses etc?

I know this question will be irritating to many people but its important to discuss I think.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

halitosisux wrote:Just sit there and watch the body language of others. You'll see these types of gestures innocently happening all the time.
Good point Hal.

The problem is, people who either A) truly have bad breath or B) think they have bad breath, are constantly looking for these reactions from other people as a form of confirmation that they do indeed have bad breath.

In life, when we are looking for these reactions, then we are surly going to find them. And to a bad breath sufferer it doesn't matter how frequently or infrequently these reactions happen. Even if it's one out of a hundred persons who has one of these bad breath reactions, that is all the confirmation a bad breath sufferer needs (whether their bad breath is real or imagined).

There is a time when the reactions of others might be an appropriate gauge for bad breath (I posted about it here viewtopic.php?t=2731). If you are getting reactions from more than 50% of the people you come in contact with, or if people are actually making indirect comments that are so brazen that it leaves little doubt as to what they are talking about, then I think that's a reason to have valid concern. But if you are not getting these types of reactions that often, or if you are getting them from the same people you have been coming in contact with for a long time, then I think halitophobia should not be ruled out entirely.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Most people think:
"everybody feel my halitosis (execpt my self) but they never give info about my halitosis because of they are polite".

Keep far from this think.
Ask your near family members and office friends whether or not you have halitosis. Belive their opinions about your halitosis.
Renato
Junior

Post by Renato »

[quote="Archimonde"][quote="Renato"]

Stepping back

Covering their noses

If i eat big portions of beef/pork everyday, i start getting the 'step back' reactions after a while.

One time i tested a meat-only diet (Zero carbs), it seemed to be going well at the beginning and then i had a guy take literally 4 steps back! I thought to myself, what is this, am i in an episode of the Twilight Zone? I've always been fine with 1 step back but 4... that was surreal man.
Renato
Junior

Post by Renato »

Renato wrote:
Archimonde wrote:
Renato wrote:
Stepping back

Covering their noses

If i eat big portions of beef/pork everyday, i start getting the 'step back' reactions after a while.

One time i tested a meat-only diet (Zero carbs), it seemed to be going well at the beginning and then i had a guy take literally 4 steps back! I thought to myself, what is this, am i in an episode of the Twilight Zone? I've always been fine with 1 step back but 4... that was surreal man.

Exactly, before, it was one step back, now people try to talk to me many steps back.

The worst BB started almost 1 year ago . But I have had BB since my childhood.

Some times I wish to be as a computer. After downloading some softwares or programs you notice something wrong with the operative system, so you can just hit a button to go back to the previous operative system which used to work fine.

I wish to go 1 year back to my no so worse BB.

I don know what happen this last year. Coincidentally, it has been the time when I have started trying everything to stop my BB.

I also suspect that the chronic use of H2O2 has made my codition worst. It exacerbated my PND. It kills the bacterial population everyday (BAD and GOOD bacteria), but the bad bacteria seems to survive and recover faster than the good bacteria.
Renato
Junior

Post by Renato »

halitosisux wrote: Have you ever considered that it might be their OWN lack of breath confidence that makes some people back away and put fingers under noses etc?

I know this question will be irritating to many people but its important to discuss I think.

Yes I have considered it. But after seeig the same reactions in all the people, I can not think that Im fine and all the others are worry of their own breaths.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I think the only way to know for certain is to have it measured with the latest modern diagnostic equipment. Even if 50 people could tell you that you either do or you dont, you cant rely totally on that. And relying on reactions is likely to do nothing more than create or exacerbate the development of halitophobia. Gestures that other people make, like stepping back and fidgeting with fingers under noses are what people do when THEY themselves dont feel confident, so how can anyone rely on this. Obviously, if people you totally trust make it blatantly clear that your breath smells bad then u can take that as positive confirmation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic