Your Email Address:

First Name:

Vitamin Deficiencies

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
jo317
Advanced

Vitamin Deficiencies

Post by jo317 »

I've been attempting to trace my steps backwards to try to figure out where this BB may be coming from. It all started to get worse when I noticed chronic PND. The mucus gets stuck in the back of my throat, and one nostril feels more closed up (but not clogged) than the other. This was also around the time my wisdom teeth started to come in (also just so happens the closed up nostril is on the same side as an impacted wisdom tooth). But the thing is, when I cough up some of the mucus it doesn't smell! So if that is not the case, perhaps it is because I also started eating a vegan diet around that time as well. I'm not always consistent with taking my vitamins, and am also not consistent with eating a healthy diet, so I was thinking perhaps it is because of a vitamin deficiency. From what I've read online the most common that can be a factor are iron, B12, vitamin D, A E, and zinc. Has anybody found a cure or improvement by supplementing vitamins? Is there anyone else on here that noticed worse breath AFTER switching to a vegan diet?

jo317
Advanced

Re: Vitamin Deficiencies

Post by jo317 »

Also if my problem is bacteria overgrowth, what are some things that can improve my immune system? Right now I take L-lysine because that is supposed to help. Any other suggestions?
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Around this time last year I was diagnosed with severe Vitamin D Deficiency. My level was recorded at 4 and I think 30 is the bare minimum and 50 is considered average and I believe 100 is the highest but dont quote me on that. So with my Vitamin D level at 4 my doctor immediately prescribed me with Vitamin D pills 50, 000 IU, which I been taking weekly ever since. I took another Vitamin D test in December and my level was recorded at around 25. Im sure by now my Vitamin D level is near average. Improving my Vitamin D has had no effect on my bad breath but it has tremendously improved my health in other areas because when I was deficient I had chronic fatigue that was severe, now my fatigue is almost completely eliminated and im able to focus much better throughout the day and at school and work. So if you have fatigue I definitely recommend you check your vitamind d level.

Ive also been diagnosed with Iron Deficiency-anemia which I have yet to address that issue but eventually I will. However, from the research I did I doubt Iron Anemia causes bad breath.

I have the same problem as you, around the time my wisdom teeth came in by my late teens I started having PND issues and starting coughing up mucous that can sometimes come up green but it never has a smell to it. I would often get congested in one nostril and still do. And also around that time is when I developed my chronic bad breath that became offensive.
jo317
Advanced

Post by jo317 »

Life_Goes_On wrote:Around this time last year I was diagnosed with severe Vitamin D Deficiency. My level was recorded at 4 and I think 30 is the bare minimum and 50 is considered average and I believe 100 is the highest but dont quote me on that. So with my Vitamin D level at 4 my doctor immediately prescribed me with Vitamin D pills 50, 000 IU, which I been taking weekly ever since. I took another Vitamin D test in December and my level was recorded at around 25. Im sure by now my Vitamin D level is near average. Improving my Vitamin D has had no effect on my bad breath but it has tremendously improved my health in other areas because when I was deficient I had chronic fatigue that was severe, now my fatigue is almost completely eliminated and im able to focus much better throughout the day and at school and work. So if you have fatigue I definitely recommend you check your vitamind d level.

Ive also been diagnosed with Iron Deficiency-anemia which I have yet to address that issue but eventually I will. However, from the research I did I doubt Iron Anemia causes bad breath.

I have the same problem as you, around the time my wisdom teeth came in by my late teens I started having PND issues and starting coughing up mucous that can sometimes come up green but it never has a smell to it. I would often get congested in one nostril and still do. And also around that time is when I developed my chronic bad breath that became offensive.
How long did it take for your Vitamin D levels to improve? Perhaps its possible these low levels were what initially caused our bad breath by letting bad bacteria overtake our mouths and nasal passages and now its just too far gone that just increasing vitamin levels isnt helping? I just bought Vitamin D3 and Zinc. Will let you know if I notice any difference.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

jo317 wrote:
How long did it take for your Vitamin D levels to improve? Perhaps its possible these low levels were what initially caused our bad breath by letting bad bacteria overtake our mouths and nasal passages and now its just too far gone that just increasing vitamin levels isnt helping? I just bought Vitamin D3 and Zinc. Will let you know if I notice any difference.
I was taking Vitamin D 50, 000 IU weekly so my levels improved greatly in almost in a month or so. And I wasn't the most consistent with taking my presciption so I'm sure if I would have been consistent I would have seen much better results between test.

And everyone is different, so I'm not going to say supplementing your vitamin deficiencies won't help your bad breath. However, I can debunk your theory that "Perhaps it's possible these low levels were what initially caused our bad breath." I developed bad breath before my vitamin D deficiency. I didn't develop my vitamin D deficiency until I was already a few years in college, working two jobs, bought a car, which all prevented me from recieving the correct amount of sunlight the body needs, thus my Vitamin D deficiency was born. Before when I graduated high school I would always be in the sunlight with my friends, my first job was being a life guard and i didnt have a car so I would often walk. Also, I can't remember fatigue being a problem for me during that time so I highly doubt I was Vitamin D deficient but my bad breath became offensive around this time.

What I recommend you do before you take vitamin D3 or zinc is you should see where your levels are by doing the blood test with your doctor. You might not even have any vitamin deficiencies. And if you do its important to know how much IU of vitamin D you should be taking.
jo317
Advanced

Post by jo317 »

Hm well even if it doesn't help my bb, at least I'm healthier!

You said you think your wisdom teeth might be part of the problem? Are yours impacted? Did you ever get them taken out?
My left nostril, the one that bothers me, has an impacted wisdom tooth right under it (partially out but grew in very crooked). Im about to spend thousands of dollars getting them taken out this summer and am very nervous it won't help at all.
JoeyCol
Total Newbie

Post by JoeyCol »

I get this coating on the back of my tongue too. Could it be a vitamin deficiency?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic