Your Email Address:

First Name:

deep filled tooth - could this be my cause ?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
misshadenough

deep filled tooth - could this be my cause ?

Post by misshadenough »

hi im new to this forum . I just wanted to ask do you think a deep filling (major deep filling ) like basically the whole of the bottom and side of the tooth is fillied . could this be the cause of my extreme bad breath (i can smell it myself its that bad ) ?i always had a mild bad breath i think from being so ill as a child and having ALOT of antibiotics but this extreme bad breath started 5 year ago now i was 22 this tooth was starting to decay, i didnt have a dentist at the time so i went to the hospital one and they were going to take the tooth out for me that day ! but they said if you find a dentist they can do a root canal and we can just put in a tempory filling for you ! so i did that . Then about a year later i got a Nhs dentist , well in that whole 5 years i still never got the root canal they just filled it and re-filled it about 5 times now ! and every year my breath has gotton worse , it is not a very good dentist at all and they are not botherd with things like bad breath and apperance thats just cosmetic to them (you need a private dentist for that i guess ) , and they just deal with necessitys ! so this tooth bleeds alot everytime i floss it , i think the nerve is dead so it doesn't hurt to much just sometimes it gives a dull ache inside the tooth , ive had pnd and a sinus infection that i always thought could be caused by this tooth , as i never had that before , it is a molar ! i always just though the bad breath was from my tounge but nothing gets rid of it not even for a minuite thats why im thinking it must be somewhere i cant reach to clean ! and after hearing some stories on here i realise that just 1 tooth can effect the while mouth . I was only at the dentist 3 week ago (told him it was sore and bleeding but didn't mention the bad breath) he said it looked fine and that it was a very deep filling and gave me some antibiotics for the bleeding ! im sure he thinks im crazy ! also i noticed at the back of the tooth there is a little kinda whole in the gum maybe its a gum pocket i dont know , maybe that is where the smell is coming from ! its hard trying to self diagnose ! anyway today i was having a really bad day and i just rang up my dentist reception and told them ive had enough of problems with this tooth and i want it out ! so she made me a appointment for tomorrow , i know already hes gonna be like its fine it doesn't need to come out ! ! but i really feel this is the cause of most of my bad breath and even though it will leave a gap it would be worth it to be free of this nightmare ! i would gladly get every tooth removed if it ment being cured ! so anyway just wanted to ask any of you opinions . Do you think its possible that this tooth could be causing my bad breath even though it doesn't hurt ?

misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

wow ! sorry about spelling mistakes :o
girlie girl
Advanced

Post by girlie girl »

misshadenough,

Wow, your story is so like mine! I've had this "bad" 6 year molar, well since I have been 6. It was drilled on when it came out and the dentist told my mother that it was just a chalky tooth and when I recently asked my dentist, he basically said that it's a tooth without a good enamel. Well it has been drilled on several times since I have been six years old. The tooth is sensitive to everything and I always have a odd sensation 24/7. I asked my dentist to just pull it and he wouldn't because he said it would cause all my teeth to shift and cause all kinds of problems for me. By the way, I love my dentist. I live in America and it's private pay for me. So now I am considering removing the mercury fillings that go very deep in the tooth and all on one side and replace it with ceramic filling. He said we could do a root canal, but I really don't want to have to! misshadenough, I would definitely pull it to be rid of the BB and this terrible tooth, but don't want the shifting of my teeth. Just FYI for you. I would love to know if our problems are purely related to these teeth. I also have PND, but no sinus issues. Keep us updated on what you do!

Girlie Girl~
misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

hi girlie girl , thanks for your reply ! yeh your story sounds quite similer to mine . Well tbh idk if it is all because of the tooth but im starting to think it must be , because even if i was to brush my tounge a million times a day it would not make any difference to the smell and taste , and ive only had this severe bb since i started having probs with this filled tooth 5 years ago ! even if i dont have a coated tounge the smell is still there . Its extremly tireing suffering from this ! maybe you should get the root canal done , i told my dentist i wanted a root canal but he wont do it even tho i have been told twice i needed a root canal on it and that the filling was on top of a dead nerve . Maybe if you got that done it would sort out any infection you might have in the tooth and help your bb ? i just feel like ive really had enough of this now trying to manage it has become impossible and even if removing the tooth did cause shifting if it got rid of the bb i wouldnt care ! so ive got a appointment for tomorrow . Im gonna tell him i want this tooth out , im scared he says no ! im hopeing this time time tomorrow the tooth will be out :-0 i hope you get yours sorted too , i hate that we all have to suffer from this
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Miss, if your breath still smells just as bad straight after even the most stringent oral hygiene measures, then your BB clearly isnt relating to any of the areas you are focusing your hygiene attention on. So it might be an individual tooth like the one you are suspecting.

If you are wondering whether individual teeth themselves can cause this kind of problem, have a read of the following:-

"I have been struggling with bad breath for over 15 years. I have tried gum mints, Therabreath, Biotene. I had my tonsils taken out. I've gone to ENT's, Gastro Docs, General Practioners, Chiropracters, Reflexologists, and plenty of Dentists.

The dentists tell me it's acid reflex, the gastro docs sent me back to the dentists. Everyone blamed it on Post nasal drip. I've bought nasal irrigation systems; I should own stock in Trident; I've traveled to Chicago and was considering going to California. In short, I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars and countless hours trying to figure this out.

Finally, after someone offered me another piece of gum (don't you love when people do that) on Sunday, I was back to square one with worry, anxiety humiliation, and embarassment.

On Monday, I looked up crowns and halitosis. I got a crown placed on my tooth back in 1992. Guess what? There were stories of people with cracked crowns, cracked teeth under crowns, and BAD BREATH.

Tuesday - yesterday - I saw a NEW dentist. I told him I want the crown and tooth removed. I was sent downstairs to an oral surgeon.

He took it out and sent me home. I called back and asked the condition of the tooth. It was decayed and cracked. My breath had been described as "it's like something crawled up there and died," Well, my tooth was dead.

Years of embarassment, thousands of dollars, multiple visits to ENT's, Gastro doctor, Dentists, etc. Told to drink water, scrape tongue, floss, take acid reflux drugs, etc.

And NO ONE thought to ask, "How long has that crown been on?" I asked a dentist earlier this year about the crown being the source of my bad breath. She tapped it and said no, it was on there securely.

I am going to write to every single one of these doctors so they can possibly help someone else. This may not be your problem or a common problem but it was MY problem. I can't believe NO ONE thought of this before.

I am convinced that you are the most important person as regards to your life. I hope no one else has to go through what I have gone through.

Please, keep searching. Your answer is out there. I wish you the best of luck and hope that these message boards will do for us what no doctor has the time to do."
misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

halitosisux thankyou so much for taking the time to find this post for me ! i feel better knowing that . Ive got my appointment for tomorrow and i already know what hes gonna say the tooth is fine and hes done that with me to tapped and said 'see you have no pain , and the filling is on fine' he thinks im crazy im sure ! but if he new how we suffer with this ! im determined to go in there tomorrow and demand this tooth is pulled ! for so long i thought how can this 1 tooth cause this bb and ive been scraping my tounge so many times a day to not even get a seconds relief of it ! and it was only coming on here and seeing ppl like yourself that had no pain but yet it was your wisdon tooth that was causing it that made me think maybe it is this tooth ! ive spent so much money these past few years on products none have worked for me ! i really hope this time tomorrow the tooth is out and i will be free of this , even a reduction in the bb would be ok !

thankyou
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Good luck miss. I really think you should mention the BB to your dentist though! People have no problem mentioning other odour problems to their doctors etc, and nothing to be ashamed about if one of your teeth looks like its seen better days and your boyfriend keeps complaining about a bad breath and you need to know where its coming from. In my case my tooth wasnt rotten, it was all relating to the gum. But teeth themselves definitely can cause their own separate odour if they are decayed.
I remember having a filling once and while it was being worked on I could smell the most awful smells wafting out of my mouth that were nothing to do with the usual type of tongue based BB I was used to.
misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

well im so annoyed ! i new i had a rubbish dentist but i didnt realise how bad ! after going there for 3 year about this same tooth , then twice in march and 2 week ago when he gave me antibiotics ! he just kept telling me this tooth was fine ! well i went in today told him i had had enough and i want it out , he looks at the exray and tells me 'no i cant take it out for you the tooth it so spoiled that if i took it out it would crack open at the gum and the root would be still in , then he tells me he doesnt have the equiptment to take it out and that he will have to refer me to hospital to remove it ! ! this is the same dentist i have seen 5 times since march and each time he told me this tooth was absolutly fine , and the filling was good . I cant believe it ! i looked at the exray and there is a big hole between the tooth and the gum , and the nerve is dead , no wonder my breath is rotten that i can taste and smell it myself ! i gave him a piece of my mind ! and they have sent off a urgent referal to the hospital too remove it ! however i have to wait untill i recieve a letter in the post with the appointment so im thinking it gonna be a while still ! so for now i still have have this taste/smell/pain ! 5 years ive had probs with this tooth i cant wait to get it out , im sure at least 80% of my bb is coming from this ! well thats my vent over
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

I'm getting my 4 wisdom teeth pulled later this week. I don't know if it will help my bb or not, since the odor comes from my tonsils. The dentist said they should go because they're not worth fixing and it will make it easier to work on the other molars, which all have gold crowns. Still it's worth a shot to see if this will help the bb.

If the tonsils don't get any better, I may eventually try laser cryptolysis if I can find a local ENT doctor to perform it. I clean the tonsils out daily with some peroxide rinse, but the smell keeps coming back.
misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

hi hope4now , yeh maybe getting the wisdom teeth removed will help a bit ! it defo cant hurt , are you 100% sure it from your tonsils ? yeh i would consider getting them removed if possible , if i new for defo what was the exact cause i would do it ! i had my tonsils removed when i was 4 . I was pretty much ill constantly up untill the age of 9 , and i was always on antibiotics ! im thinking this is the reason for my bb , although it got alot worse 5 yr ago which im hopeing will reduce once this dead tooth is removed ! good luck
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

misshad, yes I'm sure it's the tonsils. Whenever I probe the tonsils with the round end of a toothbrush, what comes out smells bad. It's bits of tonsil stones or paste. I tried giving up dairy, which seemed to help, but not entirely.
It's possibly a symptom of a dental or gum issue, or even a sinus problem. Hard to know for sure. The tonsils act like garbage collectors.

Best of luck with your tooth.
misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

well got my tooth out today ! after waiting 4 weeks and still no appointment from hospital , i was getting sinus infections , pain in all my teeth next to the bad one i finally got to see a dentist to remove it , right now id say my bb is bad obviously from all the blood etc ! and my mouth tastes vile its been bleeding for hours ! but im hopeing in like a week it will have healed and hopefully some improvement
sneezeeffect

Post by sneezeeffect »

keep us posted! i too have a deeply filled molar.
misshadenough

Post by misshadenough »

hi sneezeerffect , is this tooth causing you any problems though ? do u get a foul odour from it ? or pain ? mine had both and it would bleed alot ! also there was a gum pocket around it ! well its been 6 days , ive noticed my tounge coating has reduced and is alot easier to remove , bad taste is about 10% better , i still have a open wound and metalic tastes coming from it ! but these slight improvements are better than nothing , ill keep you updated
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic