Your Email Address:

First Name:

Does your tongue looks as gross as mine?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
billie
Sheriff

Does your tongue looks as gross as mine?

Post by billie »

This is a pic of my hairy tongue that i can't get rid of
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-8DUQHVFN-D.jpg[url][/url]

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Billy to me that looks like a normal tongue. Do you scrape your tongue and use mouthwashes etc? If you do then try leaving it alone for a week or so and eat plenty of natural yoghurt. Let the yoghurt soak into the tongue surface. Eat toast or something rough in the mornings to clear away any dead cells. See if the tongue papillae settle down.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

Hi Halitosisux,
When i brush my tongue and leave bakingsoda on it for 15 or more minutes it looks like any other healthy tongue. Food just gets trapped between those long papillae wich makes it really coated and smelly.

So do you think that scraping and brushing makes the keratin grow even more to protect the tongue?
It's really scary to just go to work without scraping. Today i was leaving someones house and when i was at the door she asked me if i wanted a breathmint and i just said no. She was so embaressed when she asked me that question. So even though my tongue looks normal i think i have destroyed the good bacteria in my mouth. I have done this one time but that was in the weekend so i really have to think about doing it again.
PR1988

Post by PR1988 »

hi billie what is the smell on your tongue like?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

billie wrote: So do you think that scraping and brushing makes the keratin grow even more to protect the tongue?
Billy, it was in my case. The thing is, if you have BB (forgetting the actual underlying reasons for it) and your tongue seems to be the epicentre of odour, then you'll want to have the least amount of anaerobic layer sitting on the tongue surface, because this is where odours generally build up, unless its coming out of your lungs or something going on in your nasal cavity. In my opinion the best balance between reducing this absorbant anaerobic layer and causing your tongue to try to defend itself by thickening its surface, is to frequently eat rough food, like toast. Just try it for a week or two. Remember to frequently eat lots of live yoghurt for a while. If you absolutely cant live like that then the most you should do is LIGHTLY scrape off any buildup with a spoon or a proper tongue scraper. Dont use any chemicals at all. Dont damage the papillae. You need the balance of flora on your tongue to keep things normal on there.

I honestly think that the whole industry of breathcare is built around this bullshit so that we start doing things to our tongues, perpetuating the whole situation. I know you just want to make this as bearable as possible, but try not to focus on your tongue. The ultimate solution to your problem lies elsewhere.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

@ PR1988, it smells like fart/feces.

Right now i'm taking digestive enzymes and they work really well. My stomach doesn't act crazy anymore like it used to do and i have more bowel movements. I didn't brush my teeth with colgate toothpaste last night just aloe vera toothpaste and i put some bakingsoda on it and i did the same this morning. I'm really starting to think that this is a problem i just have to accept and that is really difficult.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Hey guys,

I tend to agree that too much tongue scraping can damage the tongue, but I would caution against eating yogurt as this can make the smell worse. Yogurt thickens mucous and provides plenty of rich protein for the bacteria to feed on.

I'm not sure about totally omitting tongue scrapers. Your body, for whatever reason, is obviously not strong enough to remove harmful bacteria on it's own. When this is the case, mechanical removal is necessary.

An example would be someone who has an abscess in his abdomen. When antiseptics don't work to kill the infection, a tube is inserted into the infected region and the infection is drained. This is an extreme example, but it's the same theory.

Whatever, just my 2 cents.

ciao,
Notanymore.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

NOTANYMORE wrote:but I would caution against eating yogurt as this can make the smell worse. Yogurt thickens mucous and provides plenty of rich protein for the bacteria to feed on.
viewtopic.php?t=2568
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

http://www.animated-teeth.com/bad_breat ... itosis.htm

halfway down............

Anyway, if your goal is to remove the white stuff from your tongue and you eat yogurt every day and don't scrape your tongue......then good luck.

My advice is to stay clear of ALL dairy and scrape gently with toothpaste and water until the toothpaste runs clear.

Whatever....I don't post much on here any more because it's all just bullshit speculation anyway. There's no way to know whether this person has halitophobia, or transient BB or chronic or......blah,blah......

My point is white tongue and BB are not mutually exclusive, although it CAN be a strong indicator that you MAY have halitosis. You may NEVER have a clear pink tongue, especially if you eat dairy ever day......even though your breath may improve. I doubt it though, otherwise everyone on here would be magically cured by yogurt. Don't think so.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

NOTANYMORE wrote:http://www.animated-teeth.com/bad_breat ... itosis.htm

halfway down............
The problem with animated-teeth.com is that they haven't referenced any research that would back up a claim that yogurt causes bad breath. On the other hand the link I posted does link to research that has specifically been done on yogurt in regards to bad breath. When I look for bad breath cures, I try to stick to sources that link to research.
NOTANYMORE wrote:Anyway, if your goal is to remove the white stuff from your tongue and you eat yogurt every day and don't scrape your tongue......then good luck.
I eat 6 ounces of yogurt per day, 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening, and I don't have a thick white tongue coating. I gently scrape my tongue once in the morning and once before bedtime, but nothing throughout the day.
NOTANYMORE wrote:My advice is to stay clear of ALL dairy and scrape gently with toothpaste and water until the toothpaste runs clear.
I'd agree with at least trying it. But then I believe people should try every possible cure under the sun, otherwise they risk missing out on the one thing that might help them. So yeah, try no dairy for awhile and see if it helps.
NOTANYMORE wrote:Whatever....I don't post much on here any more because it's all just bullshit speculation anyway. There's no way to know whether this person has halitophobia, or transient BB or chronic or......blah,blah......
You're right, we can't really know for certain what kind of bb a person has on this forum, but we can believe in them and help them though it regardless.
NOTANYMORE wrote:My point is white tongue and BB are not mutually exclusive, although it CAN be a strong indicator that you MAY have halitosis. You may NEVER have a clear pink tongue, especially if you eat dairy ever day......even though your breath may improve. I doubt it though, otherwise everyone on here would be magically cured by yogurt. Don't think so.
Of course not everyone is gonna magically be cured by one thing. If only it were that easy.... But yeah, a white tongue and halitosis are not exclusively related, I will agree with you on that one. I think there's a lot of people who have a white tongue but don't have bad breath. It just seems like a lot of bad breath sufferers zero in on their tongues because that's what they've all been told is the primary cause of bad breath. I did that too back when I was suffering. I used to scrape my tongue so hard it would bleed. Anyway, my tongue had nothing to do with my bad breath, so yeah, people shouldn't automatically assume they have bad breath because of the way their tongue looks.
cunning_stunts
Total Newbie

Post by cunning_stunts »

Orabrush. Leaves mine pink and I have like the longest and most annoying tongue papillae in the world. If you haven't already, check it out - http://www.orabrush.com/

Because your tongue has so many little grooves and crannies, you need something that will actually enter these and sweep away the gunk rather than just scrape off the top layer and spread it around, leaving all sorts behind to lurk and fester (and stink).

For my tongue, I use the Orabrush, brush it with a toothbrush and water, then with a toothbrush and paste, then with water again, THEN swiftly once more with the Orabrush to remove all traces of toothpaste and leftover cack.

Works absolute wonders.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic