Your Email Address:

First Name:

Wisdom teeth

Tell us your story with bad breath
RED1214

Wisdom teeth

Post by RED1214 »

hi everyone. so i've been reading about quite a lot of people being cured by having wisdom teeth removed etc. on the right side of my mouth, i have like a lump kinda thing where my wisdom tooth should be. i can feel it with my mouth and i'm sure it's been there for a few years. i'm only 18 and can't see any signs of any other wisdom teeth growing through or whatever. it's not at all painful to touch, although i accidently cut it with a crisp recently and it bled a little and it was painful. i couldn't even brush it for a few days. i did actually go to a dentist quite recently, before really paying attention to my mouth. I said how I had bad breath all the time and he just checked and said my teeth were almost perfect and there was no cause there. i don't think he even checked my wisdom teeth or anything though and certainly was not thorough with checking my teeth - 1 minute tops! so do you guys think this could potentially be the cause? i'm just so fed up of everything now. sitting at home all day going mad when there's so many things i want to do with my life. i should be used to this by now but i still just wanna get out there and do things!! :-( such a shame really.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, if you read about impacted wisdom teeth, you'll see that even unerupted (teeth which havent come out of the gum, like yours by the sound of it) can cause BB because as they push up against adjacent teeth there reaches a point where the gum is so thin that bacteria and debris are easily able to find their way down into the space taken up by this tooth. This alone can cause BB, but because bacteria are involved this can cause decay of the unerrupted tooth, with obvious results.

There's all kinds of problems that a situation like this can bring about. The force of the impacting tooth can physically damage the adjacent teeth and cause them to decay.

Please read my previous post.
RED1214

Post by RED1214 »

thanks so much halitosisux for replying :-).
i think i may as well get another dentist appointment as it's free anyway lol. will just go with a different dentist this time perhaps. another thing i have noticed is that when i brush my tongue with the orabrush, i brush like this liquidy stuff from the back of my tongue which tastes of a mix between crap and the aftertaste of dr pepper mixed together lol (i don't drink dr pepper btw lol). i can then taste this in my entire mouth, just like fecal/dr pepper. it's like kind of a thick mucusy kind of thing and by gargling with water several times, it almost disappears. i can't believe i'm saying this, it's totally gross lol but just wondering if you knew what it was or if it could be connected with wisdom tooth as you seem to be the most informative and intelligent member on this entire forum lol. thanks.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

You're welcome :)
Yess try to get as many opinions as you can. I'm quite sure, especially with doctors, it just depends which side of the bed they got out of on how cooperarative and how thorough they want to be on any given day.

I think I know what you mean about the Dr. pepper/crappy mixture. You sometimes get that smell when you walk into a DIY store you get hit by an odour that makes you look around briefly to understand where the waft of BB just came from only to realise its the volatile chemicals from wood paint etc wafting around. I think certain types of road surface has that smell too. Is this the smell you mean?

Unless you are able to detect any odour when you rub any particular area of gum with a finger, then its impossible to correlate any odour to what you are detecting with your breath.

You probably dont doubt at all that its the bacterial activity inside your mouth (somewhere) causing your BB. But one interesting experiment you could try is to simulate what is going on in your mouth by incubating some of your own oral bacteria to see if it matches this Dr. pepper/skanky odour. Find a small sterile plastic container with a lid. Make sure it has no odours to begin with (maybe try boiling it in some water for a cpl of mins beforehand). Then gather some saliva (the thicker the better) allowing it to swish thoroughly over your tongue first, then spit it out into the plastic container. Gather 5 or 6 globfulls of this and then cover it and put it somewhere warm for 2 or 3 hours. See what it smells like before you put it away. You'll find it probably doesnt smell much at all at this stage. If you got the temperature correct, the smell will knock you off your feet later on. Its quite disturbing because you'll instantly recognise it as your BB odour. And you'll realise how "good" your breath is compared to if it smelled this bad.
RED1214

Post by RED1214 »

thanks for the reply. I think I may as well go to the dentist then.
that experiment with the container sounds like a good idea. If after leaving it for a few hours and it didn't smell at all, then would that say for sure that you do not have bad breath? and vice versa, if somebody who did not have bad breath done it could it still absolutely stink? it just sounds like a really good way to test your breath and perhaps others could try it to rule out haltiphobia.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The container experiment doesnt really prove anything. All it does is shows how the oral bacteria mixed with mucus & saliva (their primary food source) produces exactly the same BB odour which you'll instantly recognise. Whether that indicates to anyone that it is indeed the oral bacteria which is responsible is the question. It was in my case. Maybe if you get a different odour match to your BB its a way of proving that bacteria elsewhere (such as your gut) are responsible.

Its impossible for there to be no smell, if you do this experiment correctly. Mucus mixed with bacteria and incubated will always produce an odour.

I've mentioned this test before on here, but never had a single response. I guess everyone feels like they know enough about the source of their BB without bothering. Would be interesting if a few people did try it tho, to compare results.
RED1214

Post by RED1214 »

Ok, sorry, I got a bit confused LOL. So, all you do is literally gather up some saliva in your mouth and spit it into a container, leave it in a warm room for a couple of hours and then smell it. So, if somebody didn't have bad breath - it would still smell?

Once again, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate you coming on here when you've been cured already.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yes, gather up the thickest saliva, the thicker thicker the better, the sort you get in your throat.
Room temperature wont be enough - I'd guess around body temperature is the ideal temp, maybe even higher. Play around, until you start producing a stench.

Yes everyone has the bacteria in their mouth capable of producing BB. But the mouth is usually able to keep things under control and prevent that from happening.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Friends,
Every saliva smells bad if it waits for hours in a cup.

if you would like to measure your mouth's tendency to produce halitosis, see here:
viewtopic.php?p=27540#27540

- Murat Aydin
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

aydinmur wrote:Friends,
Every saliva smells bad if it waits for hours in a cup.
Of course this is true. But the reason why I ever tried this experiment in the first place was many years ago I wanted to see if the lysozyme contained in eggwhite would have any effect if I added some to the experiment - and it sure did.

I suspected at the time that my saliva maybe did not contain enough lysozyme, but now I know today this isnt true.

The reason why I mention this experiment now is that it enables a person to replicate the odour of their breath to confirm whether it is infact the bacterial composition inside their mouth (ie a type-1 bb) or not. If the odour is coming from the lungs or the nose, from TMAU etc, its going to smell markedly different to this incubated oral bacterial sample. In my case, my BB was coming from my oral bacteria and the smell was identical.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic