Your Email Address:

First Name:

My Mild Bad Breath Is Gone

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
WhyWhyWhy
Total Newbie

My Mild Bad Breath Is Gone

Post by WhyWhyWhy »

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a long time as I'm a fellow halitosis sufferer. To cut the long story short, my condition started at age 9 after falling ill from flu. I was prescribed antibiotics and the works. I recovered but then, I got bad breath and a white-ish tongue. My breath is mostly mild bad breath that I can cover with mints, but I do get reactions when I'm talking too close to people or had just had coffee or garlic or something strong-tasting.

I'm 30 years old now, so you can imagine how long it has been for me finding a cure, obsessing over my teeth and dental hygiene, going to the dentists several times (they didn't have an answer for me. one dentist even said point-blank that she doesn't know why and didn't offer any help).

After reading the many posts on the forum, I realized that it was definitely anaerobic bacteria in my mouth. I still distinctly remember I got bad breath no rhyme or reason after I fell ill and got prescribed medicine when I was 9. It had to be the antibiotics killing the bad bacteria in my mouth.

The past week, I had been chewing on Swanson's Oral Probiotics (strawberry chew tabs with Blis K12) and in addition, I take 2 multi-strain probiotics a day. I don't just swallow the probiotic tabs, but I actually suck on them as I want the good bacteria to colonize my mouth first. They have 8 different strains of bacteria, including L Salivarius. They don't taste bad at all, so it's fine letting them melt in the mouth. I also eat yoghurt.

I am very happy to report that my bad breath is gone. In fact, it worked the second day I went on this probiotic attack on my mouth and gut. My tongue is now pink and as I am typing now, I am still playing with my tongue as I can feel its roughness again! This was a feeling I'd forgotten since I was a child. All the years when I had bad breath, I had a coated tongue but now, my tongue never felt so rough and clean!

I CANNOT BELIEVE after battling this dreaded illness for more than 20 years, my bad breath is wiped out just like that. If only I knew about the link between bad bacteria and antibiotics earlier. But then again, it's only very recently that multi-strain probiotics are available as supplements, and the research on Blis K12 bacteria is published. I am still thanking the inventors of the Internet, the researchers who discovered probiotics, my lucky stars and God.

I know my case is a mild bad breath case, but I hope this technique can help others like me. What I say by mild is that I do have bad breath on a daily basis, and only people who stand within 2 to 3 feet of me can smell it. My breath isn't too bad when I am eating and conversing as the food smell probably masks my breath and saliva production is increased. It also gets less offensive when I suck on a mint or candy.

FYI, I have tried a very popular treatment by a Dr K***. That helped my problem a little but didn't eliminate it. And the whole routine was so long and troublesome I gave up after a year.

Try sucking on multi-strain probiotic caps. It may help. Good luck!!! :D

BBsucks

Post by BBsucks »

Congrats!!! YAY I can't wait until the day I can say my BB is gone! Anyhow can you share the brand you used for the multi-strain probiotic? I may try the same. I am taking regular probiotics that you swallow, but great idea to do chewables.
hope10

Post by hope10 »

Congratulations..... :P I have the same problem that you had before. I took antibiotics for about 3 consecutive years, due to a kidney reflux. I am cured of reflux now. But as a consequence I have bb problems. I started having bb since I was 12, I am 27 years now. I am an unhappy person because of that. I would like to know which brand of probiotic did you take., and what is the best time to take them? I also would like to ask you how many yoghurt you eat per day? I would like to think there is a hope for all of us...thank you. I hope you understand my English... ps where did you buy the probiotics?? Thanks.
hopefulasever
Total Newbie

Post by hopefulasever »

Hi WhyWhyWhy, glad to hear that you have cured your bb, can you tell us how long you've been using this product and also which brand?
WhyWhyWhy
Total Newbie

Post by WhyWhyWhy »

I use a combination of probiotics. I just want to flush my mouth and gut with as much good bacteria as possible.

I suck as lozenge these 2 products:
- Swanson Oral Probiotics (strawberry flavour chew tabs)
This has Blis K12 and 4 other strains of good bacteria. I chew these twice to three times a day. Bought this on amazon.

- GNC Acidophilus Probiotic Complex
This has L acidophilus, B bifidum, L rhamnosus, B longum, L helvetica, S thermophilus and L salivarius. This comes as a tab to swallow, but I suck on it. It tastes a bit powdery but not awful at all. Doesn't have a strong or bad taste. I suck on this once a day so that the good bacteria gets to my mouth and tongue first. When it's melted halfway, I swallow it. Bought this in my local shops, but I figure you could buy something similar too. Just make sure you get a good mix of good bacteria.

I swallow this product:
- Pro-Gastro 8
This has 8 strains of bacteria. L acidophilus, L bulgaricus, L lactis, L casei, S thermophilus, B bifidum, B longum and B infantis. I take 2 capsules a day. Bought from my local shop too.

I also eat yoghurt as dessert during dinner. Just once a day. But choose a yoghurt that states that it has Live Cultures on the label.

That's all. I have been on this regime for more than one week, and boy, no bad breath at all. I carry the Swanson around with me in my handbag as the bottle is small. It's just like my mints, except that now I don't use mints, I use probiotics.

The best thing about this is that I don't have to go through elaborate morning/night rituals of gargling with different mouthwashes. I brush my teeth and scrape my tongue as usual. Of course, now there is no gunk on my tongue (it's gone gone gone!). I can have coffee and after that my breath doesn't stink.

If you have my type of bad breath, probiotics could possibly work. I'm so happy. And I hope you get cured too. Even if we have to rely on probiotics to keep our breath fresh our whole lives, it's better than continuing to suffer. I just see it as spending a bit more money every month on supplements.

Good luck and keep the faith, guys!
hope10

Post by hope10 »

Thank you for sharing this with us. I could imagine how happy you must be. I can't wait for the day I could say my bb is totally gone...someday I hope. I am going to order those products to see if they work on me. I am very possitive with this idea of taking probiotic...you gave hope with you story. Well, but for how long do you have to take all those pills?? For the rest of your life?? Or may be for 1 month is enough...good luck...and please if there is something new, let us know..thanks.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey, congrats WhyWhyWhy! :D

Glad to hear you're having some success with probiotics. I've mentioned them so many times on the forum, it's good to see some people are actually trying them with success. Unfortunately I ran out of my supply from the states and am waiting to restock back up on them (I buy like a year and a half worth of them at a time when i'm back home cuz they don't have the brand I really like here in Thailand).

Anyway, I take Nature's Way brand cuz I read it got a good score from www.consumerlabs.com awhile back. GNC is overpriced in my opinion, but hey, if it's working for you continue with it for sure! Also i've been hearing some good things about those oral probiotics (the ones you suck on like a mint).

Just goes to show that anaerobic bacteria and/or Candida can indeed play a big role in bad breath. It's just figuring out how to get your body back in the correct balance that is the difficult part. It includes multiple lifestyle and diet changes.

Keep it up buddy, and congrats again.

:D
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

hope10 wrote:Thank you for sharing this with us. I could imagine how happy you must be. I can't wait for the day I could say my bb is totally gone...someday I hope. I am going to order those products to see if they work on me. I am very possitive with this idea of taking probiotic...you gave hope with you story. Well, but for how long do you have to take all those pills?? For the rest of your life?? Or may be for 1 month is enough...good luck...and please if there is something new, let us know..thanks.
Hey Hope10,

You will be able to say you are bb free one day, I have faith in it! Don't give up the search and stay strong.

And don't worry about taking probiotics for a long period of time. They are natural supplements (we should all have these probiotic bacteria in our bodies, however some of us have more than others). I intend on taking probiotics for the remainder man! I can tell you that I feel like 100 times better when I'm taking them vs. when I'm not. It's hard to explain, I just have an overall sense of feeling better if that makes any sense, like more healthy and strong you know.

Anyway, definitely try them out and tell us if you're having any success with them.

Good luck!
hope10

Post by hope10 »

Thank you KeepTrying09....I already ordered the products today. I am very possitive about this idea of probiotics. That makes a lot of sense since I believe my problem is the amount of anaerobic bacterias. I will tell you all when receive them. Do you think that would possibly work on me? I cannot wait for the day I would say my bb is gone. I dream about this all the time. Even though I feel better now I found this forum. You guys are amazing, and I don't feel myself alone in this battle. Thank you...
BBsucks

Post by BBsucks »

Original poster - may I ask what type of BB you had? My story is crazy similar to yours. I don't know the age (I am guessing around 10) but I was also put on antibiotics. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I found this forum, but I think this may have started my BB. I am now 30 like you and PRAYING for a cure. My BB is fecal.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

hope10 wrote:Do you think that would possibly work on me?
One can only hope for the best. Let's pray they work for you, but if they don't then don't give up. Not all brands of probiotics are created equal. You might have to go through several different ones before you find one that will work for you. Also you could try eating foods there were high in probiotic bacteria such as plain natural yogurt with live active cultures, kefir, sauerkraut, etc.
BBsucks wrote:Original poster - may I ask what type of BB you had? My story is crazy similar to yours. I don't know the age (I am guessing around 10) but I was also put on antibiotics. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I found this forum, but I think this may have started my BB. I am now 30 like you and PRAYING for a cure. My BB is fecal.
I think most of us might have had a similar experience when we were younger. I too was put on massive amounts of antibiotics when I was a kid because I always used to get tonsillitis or strep throat (the doctors always told me my tonsils were abnormally large but they didn't take them out until I was in my early 20s). I honestly believe all the antibiotics I took growing up contributed to the fact I suffered with an overgrowth of Candida for most of my life, which was the cause of my bad breath.

Before you swear off antibiotics though, the antibiotics in question are mainly the penicillin based ones. There are some people on the forum, as well as research studies, that have said certain other types of antibiotics might have a positive effect on bad breath. The antibiotic they refer to is Metronidazole as it primarily targets anaerobic bacteria (the bacteria many people believe are responsible for bad breath to begin with).
WhyWhyWhy
Total Newbie

Post by WhyWhyWhy »

BBsucks wrote:Original poster - may I ask what type of BB you had? My story is crazy similar to yours. I don't know the age (I am guessing around 10) but I was also put on antibiotics. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I found this forum, but I think this may have started my BB. I am now 30 like you and PRAYING for a cure. My BB is fecal.
Hi BBsucks,

I really feel for you my friend. You know, bad breath sufferers are so made fun of, but they don't know what it's like to have this condition since you're a child. I'd asked myself so many times if that was a punishment for something I'd done. It changed my personality... I was no longer as outspoken or sociable as before... And thinking back, I don't know how I survived all these years worrying about how offensive my breath was EVERY SINGLE DAY.

But I really have no idea what kind of bad breath I had. All I know is, it smelt bad. When I wiped my tongue with a tissue, the residue smelt so bad I swear to you it had made me wanna jump off a building. I don't think it is fecal, but maybe a little closer to rotten food? I don't know if that makes sense...

Please, do yourself a favour and try probiotics, and do include the chewables. If you developed BB right after a bout of illness, then chances are it could be the antibiotics that caused it. When I was young, I knew that my illness was the trigger, because before that, I never had bad breath and my tongue was always pink. I just didn't know how it all linked up.

I have KeepTrying09 to thank too as I'd read a lot of his posts and seen his website, and it all made sense to me.

Meanwhile, have faith and be strong.
WickedCurse

Post by WickedCurse »

Hello "Whywhywhy"

Thank you for sharing your story. It could help many of us.

I read all the probiotics you're taking. I was wondering how much it costs you monthly?
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

WhyWhyWhy wrote:
This has L acidophilus, B bifidum, L rhamnosus, B longum, L helvetica, S thermophilus and L salivarius.

Can't find this online 8)

Please can you upload an image of the product, or a link if you know an online place..?

8-[
WhyWhyWhy
Total Newbie

Post by WhyWhyWhy »

Larc400 wrote:
WhyWhyWhy wrote:
This has L acidophilus, B bifidum, L rhamnosus, B longum, L helvetica, S thermophilus and L salivarius.

Can't find this online 8)

Please can you upload an image of the product, or a link if you know an online place..?

8-[
Hi Larc400,

Sorry I don't know how to post a picture!! But here is the link, where you can see the product: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133239

I am using GNC because my local shops don't stock many brands, so I'm sure you will be able to find probably cheaper ones and equally good ones online. Just remember to get a good mix of bacteria. And make sure it comes in tablet form (dissolvable in the mouth, like a medicine pill) and not the capsule kind (for swallowing).

I found KeepTrying09's website very useful too. You could look at a list of good probiotics products recommended by him: www.breathreset.com

Good Luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic