Your Email Address:

First Name:

Type of bad breath and tips?

Tell us your story with bad breath
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

Thank you for the quick reply halitosisux! Oh I really didn't think that was alot of alcohol, Oh well each to there own! I know alcohol can dehydrate me and if it as the cause then I would stop but it I do enjoy a glass of wine or two! There are often a 4 or 5 days gasp where I have no alcohol and yet the smell can still be there.

I've just been reading about the amoxicillin on here and it has left me worried. People seem to say antibotics are just a short term fix and that it will come back stronger. I really hope not!

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Lol lisa the timing was just a coincidence. Ur missing the point about the alcohol though. As I mentioned, alcohol will dehydrate because your body uses up a lot of fluids to detoxify your body of the alcohol "poisoning". Dehydration leads to thicker mucus, which means impaired drainage of your sinuses and thicker mucus makes it harder for antibiotics to eradicate any abnormal bacteria situation in your sinuses. The objective is to clear your sinuses of infection (assuming this is what you have) and you can increase your chances of success by this one simple measure.

Antibiotics are not a short term fix, if the purpose for taking them is to eradicate a bacterial situation that shouldnt be there. Because BB always involves micro-organisms somewhere inside the body, then taking antibiotics will sometimes reduce BB because there will be a general reduction of micro-organisms from taking the antibiotics. It all depends on the underlying reason for your BB and whether antibiotics will affect that underlying reason.

The risk with taking antibiotics is disturbance of the microbial 'equilibrium' that exists in areas such as the mouth and the intestines. Usually things will naturally revert back to 'normal' once the course of antibiotics are completed, but the door is always open to pathogenic/opportunistic infections to take hold, such as fungal infections during any course of antibiotics.
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

Hi Lisa
I am also a bb sufferer and I just registered to tell you sth. my symptoms are like yours... and I also have had sinus problems . my doctor gave me Amoxicilin and another kind of antibiotics...when I was on them there was no bb but unfortunately it will start afterwards.. I hope for you it differs. actually antibiotics even make it worse after finishing them.
I am trying hard to find a solution... sinus washes does not help bb. only helps you breathing easier. just that.
I hope antibiotics help you solve the problem otherwise come back here.
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

Thank you halitosisux you explained it so well because I have little understanding of why I was given the antibiotics other than to 'clear the bugs away' from sinuses as told by the doctor! Its only a 7 day course which ends tomorrow.

Hi Claras, having just read your post I am now a little worried it will be back but only worse, I guess the only thing to do would be to take one day at a time and see how I go. I will be seeing the Ear nose and throat people as soon as I can get an appointment so if it does come back hopefully we can either rule out the sinuses or treat them.

I did have a nasal spray called Avamys which I think helped a bit but I stopped taking it because it gave me a dry mouth and dry eyes and I woke up every morning feeling like rubbish.
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

Lisa
I hope in your case antibiotics work....but in my experience the ifections that make bb usually are not treated with antibiotics.
I had sinus infection years ago and I used antibiotics but at that time there was no bb. but for my new infection, unfortunately antibiotics did not work.
Killjoy87

Post by Killjoy87 »

Lisa I have the exact same issue you do. I work at Nordstroms and have this intermittent foul smell come from my nostrils. I have tried everything from Therabreath, peroxide, nasal solutions, nasal irrigator. I have been to two medical doctors and just had a general intestinal appointment. They took stool samples to check for parasites and bacteria levels. Listen closely to what I am about to say. Yesterday I had a dentist appt for general cleaning. The dentist said I have amazing teeth and that I need to brush more gently because some of my gums are being forced into recession. It’s hardly noticeable but it’s actually tender and a little inflamed. After my cleaning my mouth felt great and tongue was pink. This to me indicated my mouths flora was great at this moment. When I was in the dentist’s chair I noticed a pamphlet that read " Billions of Bad Bacteria." This caught my eye and I saw it was a pamphlet for periodontal gum disease. I made a mental noted to check it out. A couple days later after flossing and brushing more gently I still noticed a couple areas where my gums were a bit tender. I started pushing on these areas and luckily my breathing was just right to where I could smell a distinct cheesy/fecal smell. I smelt my finger and got a brief smell of the same odor. It all clicked for me. My flora in my mouth was being overrun by bad bacteria because of a small pocket underneath the reseeded gum. I did research and found this site. I will post it for you because I honestly think this is our answer. http://www.periodontaldiseasetreatmentguide.com/
I want to note that I don’t think your nasal drainage is the primary issue. It’s most likely a response to the overrun of bad bacteria. I brushed and flossed my teeth aggressively because I thought I was being more efficient, but I think that is the cause of our unbalanced flora. Good luck, and don’t let this affect your job. You have a husband who loves you and that’s all that matters. Customers come and go. Just be friendly and put your mind into another place. Far from the thoughts of BB.
Killjoy87

Post by Killjoy87 »

lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

Well as suggested it is back after finishing the course of Antibiotics. I finished the course on monday and last night I was at work on the checkout when it came back. It was a mild version but I began made me feel light headed and faint so I went home from work 'sick'. I have only been there 5 weeks so I am on a trial and knew this wouldn't look good but I was just so disappointed my head was spinning and I became flustered and couldn't concentrate. I had gone 10 days without it and thought it was gone. I do wonder though if stress brings it on because I had a really horrible customer when I first got there and it was so busy. Also when I cried later on the way home I got a really strong whiff yet it has been fine all day today.
I really don't think I can carry on with the job anymore, ok so its bad enough having awful hours but I have the constant worry I may have an 'episode' as I like to call them. Its so embarrassing as everyone knows I have wanted a job for the last couple of years and they will think I can't handle it because I can't tell them the real reason behind it. I feel so sad, I just want to earn some extra money for christmas. I don't have to work because my hubby does full time but its so tempting just to isolate myself.
It seems a waste of time going back to the doctor although I do wonder if he will give me more antibotics.
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

Well I'm so glad I no longer have to fear going to work so thats one less thing to worry about! I went back to the doctors on Tuesday and burst into tears on him, how embarrassing, I only in only went to get more antibiotics. I was there for 10 mins even though I only went to get the pescription he seemed to genuinely take me seriously, in that time he insisted that he could not smell it although he did not doubt I hat it thoguht I may be reading into it far to much. This site has helped me alot in ways but in others its has done more harm than good, I have become obsessed with how far my breathe could be or if it is travelling after rewading on the distance thread. I'm fine when I am around my husband and children and can relax but public transport is a nightmare. All I can think about is my breath. I must spend hours a day thinking baout it, its taking over my life. I love going to the gym 3 times a week but have gone really early this week to avoid to much interaction as I know loads of people. I am in fear of becoming reclusive if I let this carry on. I mean yeah I have bad breath but I have only had one really bad reaction that one time at work when I new it was at its worse. Hubby insists that you can only smell it up close and mum has never caught a whiff, only the other day when I blew through my nose at her to test and even then she said it was very mild. My head is all over the place right now ](*,)
Killjoy87

Post by Killjoy87 »

Go to your grocery store and buy some Vitamin C. 1000% daily value. Lick your wrist before you start taking it. 24 hrs after ingestion lick your wrist again and if there is no smell stop worrying about the BB.
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

Why Vitamin C, what effects should it have? Of course I am desperate and will try anything!
Killjoy87

Post by Killjoy87 »

I learned in class that the majority of society has a considerable amount of deficiencies. Vitamin C is a great anti oxidant and one of the major vitamins we are lacking. That and my BB has been gone for 4 days since I have been taking it. This is the first time in 2 years. I am curious if it will fix you. A good indicator that it is working is by the smell of your tounge. You should be able to go to class/ gym/ work/ and lick your writst (back of your tounge) and have very minimal odor.
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

I went to the ENT last week and was intially disappointed. I waited weeks for an appointment and couldn't have been in there for more than 2 minutes. He took a quick look and fired a couple of questions at me and said he would book my in for a scan of the sinuses. I expected him to look into it more but he seemed to just want me out of there. He also gave me 3 pescriptions for Metronizole (400mg for a week) along with Augmentin (375mg for a week) and some more Avamys spray. I asked if it would help with the smell in my nose and he said no but it would ease the symtoms. Since day two of taking them I have not had as much of a whiff and nor has hubby and I feel great. When I had the amoxinn for a week and then 2 weeks in a row I still got the smell second time so I am hoping this may have worked although I know there is every chance it will come back stronger. Has anyone else tried this combination of of antibotics and how did they find it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic