Your Email Address:

First Name:

Metronidazole Mouth Wash & Colgate Elyzol Dental Gel

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
paddy
Total Newbie

Metronidazole Mouth Wash & Colgate Elyzol Dental Gel

Post by paddy »

Somewhere on this site there's a link to this article
http://www.irmj.ir/browse.php?a_code=A- ... d=1&ftxt=1

This refers to tests that successfully treated halitosis using a metronidazole mouth wash. I've searched around but can't find any metronidazole mouth wash but I did discover that Colgate Elyzol Dental Gel contains metronidazole and might have the same effect. However it's not available over the counter.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried Colgate Elyzol or if there's a way we can buy it to see if this can cure the disease?

caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi paddy,

You could make your own metronidazole mouthwash by combining 300 mls water, 150 mls concentrated orange juice and a crushed 200 mg metronidazole tablet.

http://www.mmj.medcol.mw/issues/2008vol20issue4bunn.pdf
mimmi

hi

Post by mimmi »

Is there anyone who has tested flagyl mouthwash? Does it work?
Paul B
Total Newbie

Post by Paul B »

I've used the mouthwash. I got it from Anne Bosy in Toronto. It did work for me to a certain extent. Before I used it I had a strong pungent odour from my tongue and breath would travel 20 ft. Now I have hardly any detectable smell from tongue and it's been about 12 years since I used it. BB is still an issue for me but it isn't nearly as bad as it was before the metro rinse.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

I'm going to order those antibiotics and give this mouthwash a try. I REALLY want to find a mouthwash that works.

Aydinmur, if you read this post I'd be interested to know what you think about the potential efficacy of mixing this crushed antiobiotic with water and orange juice (as per what's written in the above article) to make a mouthwash.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

This is a good idea actually. I guess as long as its feasible in terms of being effective to use metronidazole as a mouthwash, it allows being able to target anaerobic bacteria instead of blitzing everything as antibacterials like chlorhexidine would do.

If it works, I would like to know why this isnt generally available to help with chronic halitosis, even if it has to be on prescription. JESUS CHRIST it makes me so angry at how we have to find our own cures and have to do our own research into this devastating problem because all that matters in this sucking world is MONEY and nobody wants to risk wiping out this multi-billion dollar breath industry, full of products that dont even work.
mimmi

Post by mimmi »

halitosisux wrote:This is a good idea actually. I guess as long as its feasible in terms of being effective to use metronidazole as a mouthwash, it allows being able to target anaerobic bacteria instead of blitzing everything as antibacterials like chlorhexidine would do.

If it works, I would like to know why this isnt generally available to help with chronic halitosis, even if it has to be on prescription. JESUS CHRIST it makes me so angry at how we have to find our own cures and have to do our own research into this devastating problem because all that matters in this sucking world is MONEY and nobody wants to risk wiping out this multi-billion dollar breath industry, full of products that dont even work.
Word ! =D>
iva
Master

Post by iva »

I think that using metronidazole or antibiotic as mouthwash for a long period of time will only make the anaerobs resistant to these medications.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

True iva, bacteria easily become resistant to metronidazole, particularly if the dosage or course duration is incorrect. But if this approach is capable of workingin this way, as indeed it appears to have done for paul, then it might be because it allows the flora balance to change to one which is more favourable, even if only temporarily.

My understanding of bacterial resistance is that once bacteria have managed to become resistant, then non-resistant bacteria will eventually begin to colonize once the medication has stopped, particularly inside the mouth which is constantly exposed to external bacteria. Look at how quickly BB usually returns within a day or two when metronidazole is stopped, the mouth is quickly re-colonized by bacteria which is probably finding its way from the outside.

There is also the possibility of mixing and alternating different antibiotics to prevent antibiotic resistance. Metronidazole is so effective on BB because it is secreted in saliva; its like having a constant mouthwash. So making it into a mouthwash it could potentially give the same benefits, but without affecting the flora in the rest of the body and without the potential side effects on the organs.
mimmi

Hi

Post by mimmi »

Hello! Is anyone else has recipes on how to make my own metronidazole mouthwash? I have 200 mg tablets. what should I mix it with? going to give this a try ...
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

The mouthwash is not meant to be used indefinitely. It’s prescribed for 7 to 14 days at a time (sort of like regular antibiotics). The Anne Bosy mouthwash has both metronidazole and nystatin (an antifungal) in it. It’s also only to be used for 14 days.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2004/0253193.html
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

OMg ANNE BOSY, just keep away from her products, she only sees money.

She is just one of the halitosis quackers who never admits their products sucks and will quickly tell you you imagine bad breath. Stay away from that witch
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Well, if the results in these metronidazole mouthwash reports are to be believed, they do show that it works. It also shows that chlorhexidine eventually makes chronic halitosis WORSE for some of the individuals, which is understandable because of its broad spectrum of antimicrobial action wrecking any hope of allowing the establishment of a healthy oral flora.

I think attempting to make your own metronidazole mouthwash is worth a try. There is absolutely nothing to lose, its an ingenious idea if it really can be used in this way.

Since no antibiotic kills everything, its
probably worth eating tons of yoghurt and blasting your mouth with probiotics at the same time as refraining from all other antibacterial measures while doing this in the hope that a more healthy microflora can stand a chance of establishing itself. This last bit of info might be completely useless, but its still worth trying just incase.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

....I think it's definitely worth a try. I've just ordered some Flagyl. I don't intend mixing it with orange juice (sugar), just water. If the taste turns out to be unbearable without orange juice though I will reconsider that.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

The article cited by Caramiamine98 is most interesting. Somewhat lengthy, but based on experiment with test subjects, it shows definite improvement from the use of an oral rinse containing a combination of Metronidazole and Nystatin. Apparently this kills anaerobes, fungi and yeast and since it is not ingested it doesn't have side effects. It should only be used for 14 days, and I don't think it's known if the effect is permanent.
But this type of a mouthwash may be the only thing that can help us and it should absolutely be tested more to make sure that it is effective and safe.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2004/0253193.html
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic