Your Email Address:

First Name:

Couple of questions about hydrogen peroxide

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
JoseJavier
Total Newbie

Couple of questions about hydrogen peroxide

Post by JoseJavier »

Hi. I started to rinse and gargle with approx. 1.5% hydrogen peroxide solution along with baking soda tongue brushing a few months ago and it works great. But i haven’t done it often yet - usually once or sometimes twice a week, when expecting to speak with people a lot at a close distance (weekends usually).

Not only i do feel clean, but people around me i speak with are relaxed and show no negative reactions (i have to mention that my BB isnt very strong – a mere tongue scraping and brushing helped a lot, but it was far from ideal. Without brushing/scraping it would be very bad though).

Yesterday i was in a club, drinking wine and beer the whole night, then i chew a gum and even before i went home people around seemed no offended at all, they were speaking with me very close, smiling etc. Maybe they smelled something, but it hadn’t been bad.

So as this treatment works so wonderfully for me i would like to know whether using 1.5% hydrogen peroxide frequently and for a long time would be safe or not:

1. Wont it cause bacterial imbalance/bad bacteria overgrowth and thus permanently worsen my breath?

2. Doesn’t it act as a free radical? Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer (concentrated HP is used as a rocket propellant for example). Some amount is probably absorbed through mucous membranes during rinsing.

3. Wont it weaken or damage teeth enamel?

Thanks.

aydinmur
God

Re: Couple of questions about hydrogen peroxide

Post by aydinmur »

JoseJavier wrote: 1. Wont it cause bacterial imbalance/bad bacteria overgrowth and thus permanently worsen my breath? 2. Doesn’t it act as a free radical? Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer (concentrated HP is used as a rocket propellant for example). Some amount is probably absorbed through mucous membranes during rinsing. 3. Wont it weaken or damage teeth enamel? Thanks.

Pregnants, under 12 childrens shouldnt use HP.
Some publications build correlation between cancer and high concentration HP. Minimal dehydratation of enamel by HP is negligible. It doesnt weaken or damage enamel tissue. It really takes bad odor in mouth if any. We use 10-33% of HP for teeth bleaching.
-Murat Aydin
faith21

Post by faith21 »

I am also interested in this information because I havent tried using it because of the fear that the BB could get even worse based on some posters experiences.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

aydinmur wrote:It really takes bad odor in mouth if any.
Here, my mean, hydrogen peroxide removes type 1 halitosis if any.
faith21

Post by faith21 »

What is the sustainability of Hydrogent Peroxide though. I've read persons that say it loses its effect after 3 days.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

faith21 wrote:What is the sustainability of Hydrogent Peroxide though. I've read persons that say it loses its effect after 3 days.

It usually remains effective half a day or rarely one day perhaps (10-33%). It may not be effective even after 3 hours with low concentration (<3%).

(p.s. We talk about type 1 halitosis only. Hp rinse never affects on other types of halitosis)

-Murat Aydin
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Friends,

Below explanation may be general interest, because some of you privately ask me about how higher concentration hydrogen peroxyde can be obtained.

Its caustic agent.
Individuals can use maximum 3% at home for a limited time.
Dentists may use higher concentrations under special conditions at clinic only. Its used for teeth bleaching.
Never try to use over 3% hydrogen peroxyde at home.

- Murat Aydin
JoseJavier
Total Newbie

Post by JoseJavier »

aydinmur wrote:
aydinmur wrote:It really takes bad odor in mouth if any.
Here, my mean, hydrogen peroxide removes type 1 halitosis if any.
Murat, thank you. But is it safe to use hydrogen peroxide for removing type 1 halitosis on a regular basis? Wont it worsen the breath (bad bacteria overgrowth)?
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

I would like to share one fact.

Normally I measure halitosis level with halitometer before and after zinc rinse. Difference between both values shows me that person's tendency to type 1 halitosis. This is part of my routin examination.

Last year or so, when I was examining a patient, I used H2O2 instead of zinc solution (Idont remember its reason).
Its very interesting that, halitometer showed negative values. For example inital halitosis 150 ppb, but -40 ppb after H2O2.

- Murat Aydin
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

JoseJavier wrote:is it safe to use hydrogen peroxide for removing type 1 halitosis on a regular basis? Wont it worsen the breath (bad bacteria overgrowth)?

Its safety depends on its concentration and how long time used. Personally I dont prefer to advise anyone for regularly use hydrogen peroxide despite it whitens teeth and removes type 1 halitosis. Because, it may start cancerogenesis.
Its for one time use very rarely.
- Murat Aydin
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

As I've written here before, my own personal experience with HP left me pretty sure that it exacerbated my BB. On a number of occasions after talking to people about an hour after having used HP the fact that I smelt badly (and worse than usual) was unmistakeable.
JoseJavier
Total Newbie

Post by JoseJavier »

aydinmur wrote:
JoseJavier wrote:is it safe to use hydrogen peroxide for removing type 1 halitosis on a regular basis? Wont it worsen the breath (bad bacteria overgrowth)?

Its safety depends on its concentration and how long time used. Personally I dont prefer to advise anyone for regularly use hydrogen peroxide despite it whitens teeth and removes type 1 halitosis. Because, it may start cancerogenesis.
Its for one time use very rarely.
- Murat Aydin

Hm i read many times about using 1.5% HP solution as BB remedy - so i assumed it would be safe to use it regularly, but i wanted to be sure.

I didnt even know it may be carcinogenic...because some people use it as an alternative cancer therapy (that doesnt necessarily mean its effective or safe method of course).

Then i found this: "Tests with laboratory animals from the American International Agency on Cancer Research (IARC) show that hydrogen peroxide can be carcinogenic to animals. Laboratory tests with bacteria show that hydrogen peroxide is mutagenic; it changes and damages DNA.
The effects of chronic exposure on humans are unknown. Effects on reproduction and development are not demonstrated so far."

So your discouragement left me very sad, as 1.5% HP rinsing works wonders for me :(
sickofit

Post by sickofit »

hydrogen peroxide also can give you a hairy tongue because it irritates your tongue if you use it longer than a week or so.
waiting2xhale
Junior

Post by waiting2xhale »

Before I start using this new toothpaste Im currently using. I was using perioxide DAILY But ONLY ON MY TOUNGE WITH 1/2 WATER. ON ONE SIDE OF THE TOOTHBRUSH. It was the only thing that could get my tounge pink. But I honestly dont like the thought of using perioxide in my mouth.
sickofit

Post by sickofit »

This is a very interesting website about hydrogen peroxide use for the mouth: http://www.actualcures.com/hydrogen-per ... s-healthy/

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IS NOT DANGEROUS IF USED IN LOW CONCENTRATIONS 3% OR LESS.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic