Your Email Address:

First Name:

question for oneway

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

question for oneway

Post by waitingforrelief »

hi oneway,

i wanted to see if you could give me a little more info on your experience with primal defense. how long did you take them for? how soon after did you find relief? and how did it compare to when you took salivarius? did the effect stop just like the salivarius? and what's the dosage that you took?

i understand that there are negative reports about this probiotic, but at the same time there are just as many people who say that they're great.... argghh :-k

i'm planning on trying it anyway.
would appreciate feedback from you.

oneway

Post by oneway »

Hi,

I took them in spring 2003 before the FDA clamped down on them and they re-labelled their products. Primal defense now says one tab 3 times a day on their label, earlier they used to recommend 2 tabs 3 times a day. I am also not sure if they reformulated their product after the FDA inquiry.

I took it at 2 tabs 3 times a day for one month, lost weight and had "normal breath" during that time. I define normal breath as the breath everyone has, which tends to be the worst first thing in the morning, but quickly disappates on eating. I was not dieting or exercising and I was thrilled with the weight loss. The weight stayed off even when I stopped taking the tabs but the breath gradually became worse again.

I went online to order it after a few months and read all the reports of negative effects and chickened out on trying it again.
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

What is 'Primal Defense' - whats behind that brand?
oneway

Post by oneway »

Primal defense contain HSOs. I have pasted excerpts from an article on primal defense...

"Another new addition to the probiotic supplement scene is homeostatic soil organisms (HSOs), which now make up some of the fastest growing supplements in the probiotics industry, says Jordan Rubin, NMD, founder of Garden of Life in West Palm Beach, Florida. HSOs have a 3-year nonrefrigerated shelf life and survive harsh stomach conditions better than many other probiotics because they are produced through fermentation, says Rubin. This means the microorganisms are never separated from the food they were created on.

Although there is little research on HSO probiotics, one Garden of Life study tested 70 patients with chronic disorders such as diarrhea, constipation and excessive gas and bloating. Results indicated that all of the test subjects’ symptoms improved, Rubin says, and 52 percent of those who took HSOs experienced a full remission of symptoms. A second study tested 17 people with problems associated with digestion and an overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans. Only one subject experienced no change, while 16 noted an improvement of 25–75 percent."

Now here is the bad press on HSOs...

"To summarize the research briefly, soil organisms (SO) are spore formers, so they make make good competitors for yeast, fungus and other pathogens. This is why so many people taking soil organisms will initially experience very favorable results. However these spores are are extremely difficult to kill, surviving sterilants, disinfectants, acceleration forces, heat, pressure, radiation and many antibiotics. Strong antibiotics -- like Vancomycin -- can suppress certain spores. Spores are so persistent in the intestines that another round of germination may occur after the the drug is stopped. Soil organisms can also adapt loose genetic material and incorporate it into their cellular structure - the ramifications of which are yet unknown. Various soil organisms can also produce harmful peptides, affecting hemoglobin in the blood. It's important to keep in mind that virtually all antibiotic drugs were were initially developed from soil organisms and as antibiotics become more potent, they cause more damage to the host, not just in the immediate gut environment, but systematically as well.

In the EU (European Union) the use of soil organisms in animal feed is being stringently controlled and questioned at this time. There are simply too many questions and unknowns to sanction the use of soil organisms for human consumption and one can certainly cannot qualify them as safe at this time."
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

hey oneway,

just wondering how was your result with PD compare with the salivarius? was it just as effective as when you took the sali? you said that with the sali., your breath came back worse, like mine. did the same thing happen with PD? and how long after starting the PD did you see results?

sorry for the barrage of questions. it's just that i'd like to know more about your experience of it rather basing all my info on this negative report. because, after all, i've seen lots of positive ones on other health boards as well.

thanks so much.
oneway

Post by oneway »

Results with PD were way better than with salivarius. Breath was normal all day long, even after eating or drinking. Couldn't say the same about Salivarius.
austuser
Sheriff

Post by austuser »

oneway wrote:Results with PD were way better than with salivarius. Breath was normal all day long, even after eating or drinking. Couldn't say the same about Salivarius.
so why did u stop? Did i miss something?
oneway

Post by oneway »

I didn't want to risk damaging my body. Read my posting explaining about HSO's above.
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

I'm going to try that Primal Defense formula. I'll let you all know if it works.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic