Your Email Address:

First Name:

bad breath ups and downs - why?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ruch
Sheriff

bad breath ups and downs - why?

Post by ruch »

i find that my breath changes a lot. the severity of it, i mean. there are some days (for example, for the past month or two. last week was especially bad) when nothing i do helps (even the rinses that used to work). today i woke up and didn't even seem to have much morning breath. after eating, i noticed my breath seemed fine too. i looked at my tongue and the white coating is almost all gone. i didn't do anything different aside from use my oral irrigator (i use hydrofloss) between my teeth with just water for the first time again last night (i'd been away for 2 weeks). before i went away, hydrofloss didn't help that much either during the very bad month. also, even during that time, i couldn't detect much odor between my teeth and i am sure the bb was coming from the back of my tongue.. so i doubt it could be the hydrofloss suddenly helping.

i wonder why it changes like this. anyone know?

ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

hmmm.. and then i rinsed with dioxirinse (just habit and fear that if i don't, my breath will be bad) and now i can taste something in my mouth. i guess i ruined it (if it was there to begin with and not a figment of my imagination). dioxirinse used to work for me but has stopped working very well over the past month too.. sometimes making it possibly worse.

has anyone ever tried cycling through mouthwashes to see if that helps? i find they work for awhile and then stop for awhile. with dioxirinse, i managed to get through a bottle and a bit (maybe 1.5 bottles) before it stopped working. i may go back to smart mouth and see if that works again (it worked okay fro me before and then didn't for awhile which is why i switched to dioxirinse).
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

ruch, I can relate to you. Feels like some intelligent force is playing tricks on us at times, the inexplicable way things can change, for good or for bad, and the impossiblity of pinpointing the reasons why.

I used to have an area in my mouth that I was unaware of and was constantly pouring out a foul discharge onto my tongue. It was a very simple and straightforward situation. But yet it still varied and had a mind of it's own when it came to remedies and torturing and tormenting me with ups and downs.

I think it's a combination of whatever phenomenon is behind all placebo effects (probably immune system related), and the fact that whenever we use any particular weapon against the microorganisms in our mouth, it is never effective on 100% of the different types. So whichever microoganism are unaffected, they'll eventually become the most dominant. Aydinmur has told us that any type of bacteria can become odorogenic. So in other words, whatever we try to do to the bacteria in our mouth, you can be sure as shit that any good effects are going to wear off eventually. There are no remedies that will cure type 1 BB unless you are able to identify an abnormal cause or reason for the bacterial overactivity.

Cycling through different products is definitely better than not cycling.
Word_Is_Bond
Total Newbie

Post by Word_Is_Bond »

I know exactly what you mean! I'll strictly avoid foods I know will set me off, yet somehow even on those days my breath is horrible all day. Then, like this past Monday, I'll eat tons of cake and pizza and brownies, and my breath will be tolerable. I really wonder if stress plays a part. I find that on days I don't worry about it so much, it *feels* like its better. But then again, that could just be blocking it out.
missjj
Junior

Post by missjj »

Hi. Can anyone educate me on different types of bb??
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

missjj, if you mean type-1, type-2 etc, this was a simple classification system devised by Dr. Aydinmur which has helped us a lot in our discussions.

Here's the link:-
viewtopic.php?t=2814&highlight=type1
jen
Advanced

Post by jen »

Glad you brought that up.

I have also wondered about the fact that my breath is sometimes better for no reason( that I could detect) and sometimes worse. Don't get me wrong, it is a chronic problem, but sometimes it feels better than other times. Sometimes I wake up in the night and have to go and brush my teeth, so horrible is the taste in my mouth.

I've been trying like crazy to figure out what can be wrong: something I ate (my diet is usually rather bland, but even if I eat cake or spicy foods, it doesn't feel different); the doc also denied that I have acid reflux; my bowel movements (I can't figure out a pattern. Sometimes when I had a good bowel movement it does feel better, but not always - I never ask people about my bb, I just rely on the taste in my mouth and from my throat and on reactions); seasons (I'm allergic to grass, but I don't see much difference in summer or when I mow the lawn).

I do know that when it feels especially bad, my nose seems to be blocked as well. However, I used meds for allergies the ENT gave me and they did not help. At first the doc gave me a short, intense cortisone treatment and my daughter even told me that I smelled fresh, but it lasted only a day or two and afterwards when I tried cortisone with nasal spray again, it did not help at all.

What else is there: hormones (not likely), stress (well, this started when I was 11 years old. I do not think I even knew what stress was then). I do remember that I was too embarrassed to go to the loo at school, so I probably messed up my bowel movements for a long time, but can that lead to chronic bb for 30 years?

A doctor once diagnosed me with Gilbert's syndrome (insufficient enzymes in liver). He told me I would get tired a little sooner than other people and would need Vit B for energy, but that's all. According to him it could not cause bb. I researched it and couldn't find anything helpful, used Vit B for a long time, no improvement. (Only initially: that placebo effect that you talked about on this forum).

I'm healthy except for low energy (the Gilberts or depression probably), occasional blocked nose or hay fever, and for the last few years irritable bowel syndrome. If I could just figure out a pattern and determine what causes this!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic