Your Email Address:

First Name:

My life has been turned into hell because of My Bad Breath

Anger management part of the forum :), where you can express anger, sadness, sorrow etc.
BBRuiningMyLife
Total Newbie

My life has been turned into hell because of My Bad Breath

Post by BBRuiningMyLife »

So I just joined this site about 10 minutes ago after finding this forum about bad breath on google. I am going to share my story with bad breath for the first time to anyone. So please, what you're about to read is my story with bad breath and how it has affected me. If possible, please give me your replies to it. Thank You.

So I guess you could say it all started in about eighth grade. I was sitting in math class one day, and I was sitting next to this girl who was my math partner. She started to cover up her nose and mouth, which was probably my very first encounter with bad breath on a serious note. From what I remember, as the days went by, she kept covering her mouth & nose more & more, and each time it got me more halitophobic. Keep in mind that at the time I was only 13-14 years old. I thought it was only a temporary thing. But boy, was I wrong.

About 4-5 months later. I started high school. My hopes for the summer were that high school was gonna be the best 4 years ever. When I first entered my high school, the first 2-3 months were pretty good. I had made some friends, and was getting some cool people to meet. But then it happened. My whole world was flipped upside down.

In October of 2008 was where it all took a turn for the worst. Trust me. One day, I saw this kid in the hallway and I tried to make a joke about his name, and I guess he didn't find that funny. So there I had made my first enemy. I wasn't trying to hurt his feelings, I was just trying to be funny and make a new friend, you know, like most people like to do when they're a freshmen in high school. But then, I think about a few days/weeks later, I had to sit next to him in my biology class. I think I had said something to him one day and he automatically said something about my breath. He made a joke and said something about how I had bad breath. Now imagine my reaction as a high school freshmen being made fun of in front of nearly 20 people. Yeah, embarrassing.

Pretty soon, more and more people started noticing and commenting on it. I had slowly started to lost all of the people I had first met when I started high school. Eventually, I guess it came to a point where I felt like I was being labeled/dubbed as "The Bad Breath Kid". I didn't understand. I never had problems with BB up until then. It got even worse, where some people would actually tell me that I had bad breath. Wow did I feel like crap. I mean, what was happening to me?

It got even worse over the years. My 10th grade year, even the new freshmen and even most of the teachers started to notice my bad breath. How do you deal with walking around school knowing that almost everyone already sees you as the person with bad breath.

By 11th grade, the grade I'm currently in, I started to struggle with depression. Now I had dealt with depression in the past, but it was back in 7th grade, when I'm pretty sure bad breath wasn't a problem for me. But now it had come back and the main source had been from all the bullying I had to go through in the past 2 1/2 years of my high school experience so far. I soon was sent to the see my school counselor, whom eventually I had admitted to being bullied. I never said that it was because of my bad breath, because I didn't want to feel insecure and embarrassed. She then recommended that I start seeing a therapist. So I did. Later on, I admitted to feeling suicidal and homicidal towards other people and my counselor sent me to get an evaluation because of my suicidal thoughts. After the evaluation was over that day, I was sent to a program in a hospital to deal with my Anxiety and Suicidal Thoughts/Feelings. It helped a little, and I did miss about a month of school, but once I got back, my bad breath had not changed, and I still felt depressed. I was then recommended to go see a psychiatrist at the same hospital, and was also prescribed to take medication because of my suicidal and depression problems. I was also prescribed medication for my sleep and attention issues, but that's probably not relevant.

Now here I am. A 16-Year Old depressed, angry, and suicidal halitophobic. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I've tried mouthwashes, mints, different toothpastes, gum, tonguescrapers, brushing my tongue with my toothbrush, scraping my tongue with a spoon, and many other things to get rid of my halitosis for good. And this isn't a a normal thing. People in school are always covering their noses and mouths. Some people at the program I was at even covered their mouths and noses a few times when I was around or when I spoke. Another downside to having it is that there's this really cute girl in my school who I've been interested in ever since I was in 9th Grade. I've always been really nervous to talk to her, mainly because of my bad breath. I don't what to do. I think she's even noticed it a couple times, maybe more. When I first entered high school, I thought I was gonna be the guy with tons of friends and in a number of relationships. But now I see that my main demon that has ruined my ability to have a good high school experience is my bad breath. I've been ignored, bullied, looked down upon, and it's even made me suicidal. I now have to take pills to deal with my suicidal thoughts because of my bad breath! It sounds crazy, right? But it's true.

For those of you saying you've thought of s*****e, I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. I'm so afraid of being made fun of that I can't even stick up for myself when I'm being bothered or bullied. I have to bring gum, mints, and drink plenty of water everyday in the hope that my bad breath goes away. It feels like a curse. It hurts. I feel so alone sometimes.

So now that you've read my story, I guess the only thing to do now is to ask for help. So yeah, if there are any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. I hope you guys understand what I'm going through, or at least try. Thank You.

findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

Welcome to the site.

We all have similar stories.

My BB started when I was 16. Even then I wasn't made fun of that much. I knew I had BB but I put it down to me not brushing properly or not using mouth wash!

I think your very strong, as I don't know how I would have coped with having BB throughout my school years. Kids can be very cruel.

I totally understand when you say your afraid of being made fun of that you can't even stick up for myself. Its hard to have a come back when someone says you smell!! People try to humiliate me everyday at my job! But I have conditioned myself to where I can cope. I just ignore them and get on with my work. They obviously have issues with themselves if feel the need to put someone down to make themselves feel better!! KARMA will get them eventually!!

Stay strong BB is not worth taking your life for.

Take your life>>>The bullies win.

Focus on the positives, follow your dreams focus on become successful. You maybe one of the lucky ones who has a great career, finds love, settles down, has children and a somewhat normal life. We don't know what the future holds. Just never give up.

There is a Trimethylaminuria diet somewhere on the forum, just do a search. It wont help get rid of the BB but it may help to reduce the smell!
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I recommend you stop worrying about the depression and anxiety and focus right on the BB and discover the source of the problem.

If you cure your BB you will no doubt become free of anxiety and depression after some time...

I often think about how amazing my social experiences would be if I didn't have this problem... Oh man, you gotta stay on the bright side, as much as you want to end your life, just keep it up, and look forward to the day when this isn't your problem any longer.

Anyone seen the movie Thinner? I was just thinking how wonderful it would be if you could pass your problem on to some jerk who deserves it via Voodoo.. make him eat the BB pie. Probably not the lesson I was suppose to learn from that film though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic