Your Email Address:

First Name:

Accept it

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Steph
Total Newbie

Accept it

Post by Steph »

Hi, as many of you, I've been suffering of bad breath since I can remember. I think I was 10 the first time somebody told me my breath was bad. Now, 24 years later, I finally understood what's wrong with my breath:
nothing.
I know it can be hard for you to understand, but it's our nature, dudes. It's our DNA, and nothing can fix it. It's like wanting to change the color of your hair, or the one of your eyes. You can dye you hair, you can wear color contact lenses, but underneath your hair would still grow dark, or whatever they are. There's nothing you can do about it. With bad breath it's the same. You can disguise it for a minute or two, but you would continue to generate that awful saliva that ruins your breath. I don't know, maybe in 100 years scientists will find a cure (some change of your DNA when you're still an embrio), but now all you can do is accept it. ***k it. Stop hoping that one day you'll wake up with a wonderful breath. Stop envying your friends. They seem to have fresh breath no matter what they do, right? That's THEIR nature. Clean carefully your teeth, but just to avoid teeth diseases. When I have to talk to somebody, I just turn my head. It's not my fault, if I have bb. Peace.

iwanttoknow
Total Newbie

Post by iwanttoknow »

I will never accept it...that's just like accepting that you're never going to have a life...EVER
ihatethebus
Master

Post by ihatethebus »

@steph. Nice post. Laayzeeee
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Steph,

I think you make a very good point, but I don't think it's true for everyone because there are different causes of bad breath. Obviously, if infected tonsils are the cause, that can be eliminated.

However, if the underlying cause is an immune deficiency in the saliva, then there is probably no cure for us. That would most likely be due to a genetic defect (maybe one wrong letter in our DNA sequence), and no one on this earth can change your genetic makeup. In that case, bad breath would indeed be "in our nature" as you say. Normal saliva has about a dozen antibacterial substances in it, and they apparently combat the anaerobic bacteria. That's why most people can eat whatever they want, and even not brush their teeth and never have bad breath. They are simply immune. The plaque on their teeth, their post nasal drip, the coating on their tongue, H pylori if they have it, it all means nothing, because they have the good saliva which will always stop bad breath. Those of us who don't have the good saliva are as good as finished.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
pf442
Total Newbie

Post by pf442 »

Phantasist wrote:Those of us who don't have the good saliva are as good as finished.
Is there a way to test for good saliva?

Surely, if it were due to a genetic defect some people would have bad breath from birth? Anyone who developed bad breath later in life must therefore have lost the good saliva at some point. In that case, why would they lose it?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Slightly off the point, but saliva also has odour neutralizing components/characteristics to it. Maybe this, rather than missing antibacterial components, is the cause?

If it was because of missing antibacterials, then BB free people would have very different bacterial profiles inside their mouth compared to those with chronic BB, but they dont. The bacteria which live in the average healthy disease-free mouth are almost the same for everyone, whether you have chronic BB or you are BB free. Infact there is no such thing as BB free, everyone has a background odour level. BB only becomes apparent when it goes over a threshold level, and it doesnt have to go very far above that background level for the situation to go from being BB free to being a strong noticable breath odour.
Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

ihatethebus wrote:@steph. Nice post. Laayzeeee
Really? What are we two years old???? Don't call Steph Lazy...you don't even know her!
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

Telling peope to just accept it when they can be cured is simply irresponsible and self-serving
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

:-k
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

My understanding is that in an unhealthy mouth, for example where there is active disease such as gingivitis or periodontal disease, or one in which there is an unhealthy ecology such as high or low acidity or chronic dehydration, the bacterial profile changes from what would otherwise have existed and different bacteria begin to colonise etc.

Of course, based on various factors, we all have a unique bacterial flora, but does any particular bacterial flora correlate to one in which a person becomes comdemned with BB and another in which a person becomes fortunate enough to become immune from ever having BB? That sounds like the kind of marketing hype used to sell certain probiotics, but is it true of false, who knows?. Aydinmur has explained that any bacteria can become odorogenic, so how can there be any correlation to any specific bacteria types and a person with BB?

Not even Aydinmur knew (or knew of) of the existence of any evidence of whether saliva contains any odourous chemicals in it before it enters the mouth (as we know it does with TMAU). Without being able to know the answers to such fundamental questions, does anyone out there have any real authority on this subject?

We dont even know for sure what causes morning breath (which even affects BB free people) is it purely due to the reduction of hydration and oxygenation and flushing action, or is it due to the temporary reduction of something else in saliva which actively controls the bacteria or odours in the mouth. There surely has to be a connection to this and the reason why some people have BB constantly.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Of course there is a connection between constant bad breath and "morning breath". The connection is SALIVA!!! Saliva flow stops during sleep, so the antibacterial substances in saliva are not in the mouth during sleep. That fact is staring us in the face.
But if the antibacterial substances are not in your saliva, then you would obviously have bad breath even when you're wide awake because the saliva flow won't help you.
Music Lady
Advanced

Post by Music Lady »

Phantasist wrote:Of course there is a connection between constant bad breath and "morning breath". The connection is SALIVA!!! Saliva flow stops during sleep, so the antibacterial substances in saliva are not in the mouth during sleep. That fact is staring us in the face.
But if the antibacterial substances are not in your saliva, then you would obviously have bad breath even when you're wide awake because the saliva flow won't help you.

Hmmm

And drinking water would do nothing right? Because nothing really replaces the antibacterial substances which is necessary.
shmooze

Re: Accept it

Post by shmooze »

Steph wrote:Hi, as many of you, I've been suffering of bad breath since I can remember. I think I was 10 the first time somebody told me my breath was bad. Now, 24 years later, I finally understood what's wrong with my breath:
nothing.
That's absolutely untrue. You were right with your breath for 10 years, suddenly your breath changed. You should remember what happen, maybe a vaccination, or a mercury amalgam trigged your body to produce candida or something similar.
Be positive, be persistent and you will win.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Shmooze,

Just because Steph became aware of her bad breath at the age of 10, doesn't mean she didn't have it before then.
Mercury amalgam fillings in your teeth have nothing to do with bad breath. Hundreds of millions of people have those fillings and don't have bad breath.
Being positive does not get rid of bad breath any more than being negative causes it.

Music Lady,

Drinking water may help a little if you actually have a dry mouth, and rinsing may help to get rid of food particles and neutralizing acid from sugar, but water cannot kill anaerobic bacteria. For that you would need an antibacterial substance such as Immunoglobulin A, which is found in normal saliva.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Phantasist,
the reason why a reduction in saliva flow generally causes the breath to smell might be purely the reduction in oxygenation and flushing action of the saliva, or of odour neutralizing properties of saliva - it might have nothing at all to do with any of the saliva's "antibacterial" properties. We just dont know. This is speculation and discussion. The only fact we can be certain of is that the only people doing any research into this problem are the very people who want to protect their business and are getting VERY rich selling CRAP doesnt even manage to mask it.

If BB free people were producing antibacterials that are directly able to prevent them from having BB, then how do you explain how they still manage to have the same 600 or so of the known species of bacteria that those with BB also have in their mouth? The mouth and the tongue and the ecology and habitat of the mouth has evolved to allow a bacterial flora to colonise and thrive. A sample of saliva taken from any mouth contains bazillions of bacteria in it.

According to Aydinmur, nobody knows if the saliva of those with chronic BB ever smells before it enters the mouth. These are fundamental questions that until we know the answers to, we dont know SHIT about what's really going on. There might simply be chemical reasons that cause bacterial over-activity on the tongue, like having high saliva protein level for example.

But, you may be totally right. It may be due to missing or defective antibacterial mechanisms, but until there is actual evidence to prove this, we dont know.

Not everyone with low immunoglobulin A has chronic BB, and there's no known direct correlation with any other type of immunoglobulin deficiency. Not even HIV causes BB directly, nor does taking immunosuppression medication.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic