Your Email Address:

First Name:

About coated tongue...

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ruthere1
Junior

About coated tongue...

Post by ruthere1 »

im starting to notice that coated tongues have little to no effect on bad breath. there is a girl i know who has a very whitish coated tongue and her breath doesn't smell like anything! so weird! i pray for the day when my breath will be odorless. man, what a blessing that would be. Anyway there are a lot of people with coated tongues and fresh breath. bb could possibly come from a bacterial imbalance and the throat.

Music Lady
Advanced

Post by Music Lady »

I've been saying this forever. My bandmates have the whitest tongue ever and eat a ton of junk food, drink loads of coffee and never EVER have bad breath.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I've experienced recent reactions.. then while in the bathroom checked my tongue.. Really damn pink and clear... I think filling some cavities in my mouth helped with that,so now my tongue stays clearer, longer... though the coating comes and goes...

Anyway, it doesn't seem to make a damn difference, does it?

There has to be a link though.. it's at the very least, a sign of persistent bacteria.... but even if you kill it in your mouth, surely it's in the rest of your body, in your throat, lungs, small intestine...
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, if you get odour on your tongue does it vary with the coating?
btw I just read what you said in another thread about your improvements with going gluten free. Stick at it because it may take a while to heal the inflammation of your intestines and to undo some of the far reaching effects this may have been having on the rest of your body.
Did you try one of the gluten test kits? it would certainly motivate you if you get a positive result.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

halitosisux wrote:Mike, if you get odour on your tongue does it vary with the coating?
btw I just read what you said in another thread about your improvements with going gluten free. Stick at it because it may take a while to heal the inflammation of your intestines and to undo some of the far reaching effects this may have been having on the rest of your body.
Did you try one of the gluten test kits? it would certainly motivate you if you get a positive result.
I asked my dad in the United States, to look for, and send me such a kit...
He called around to 5 or more different pharmacies and even asked about ordering it.. No luck. Guess it's not a product available in our area, or in US stores.

I'll probably have to order it from that link you provided, thanks again for that.

Really I'm not sure the tongue coating has any effect or varying effect. Before I got the tongue brush, my tongue was always super coated.. like almost solid white, and food would just stay on there, of course.

That was back before I knew I had a BB problem.. I've wondered sometimes if having a tongue coating actually helps reduce the BB, like it might provide a platform for good bacteria to show up and thrive..

That's just complete speculation. All sense tells me it should be even worse, with a thicker coating... though like I said, the amount of coating doesn't seem to reflect the level of BB. Since I mostly can't smell it myself anyway, without the help of backdraft, I can't really tell how bad it is... But I know it's been there, that same damn smell in the backdraft, when my tongue was relatively clean.. I can't make any conclusions on the matter.

Even though my problem isn't oral,there is an oral component to my BB, like I can actually catch whiffs of it on my own, if say, I haven't opened my mouth for a while and it's been awhile since I brushed my teeth.. I can feel how dirty it is and sometimes smell that poo scent if I'm loading my cheeks with air, sticking my lower jaw out, and sort of puffing air up to my nose..

Then if I clean my mouth vigorously, hack out any mucus, etc etc, I can't sense it anymore... but I know by talking to people soon after brushing that it's not just from the mouth anyway..

I figure that I've got excess of this toxicity or bad bacteria in my whole body.. it settles in the mouth, naturally. I just know it's not only an oral problem.. I clean my mouth out so well that the bacteria can't possibly be spawning in my mouth, but are coming from my bowels.

Well anyway, baking soda gargle along with a tung brush gets my tongue as pink as can be, and I feel it's helped in the short term for some close encounters with a girl I was sort of seeing a while back. Whether the tongue is the culprit is still up in the air.

I can't tell if there's odor on my tongue or not.. I often see people straight up saying their tongue stinks... Can you sense it yourself? For me, I can't smell my own breath from my tongue, nor from my saliva on my wrist.. If I smell air dried saliva it only yields the 'sour' smell as it does for most of us.
ruthere1
Junior

Post by ruthere1 »

your right. i notice that i am extremely constipated and there is definitely odor in my throat and other parts of my body. what do i do about this? how do i go about getting a test done for bacteria?
ruthere1
Junior

Post by ruthere1 »

i was reading this website: http://www.jigsawhealth.com/resources/s ... e-symptoms

and i think we may all have issues with the amount of stomach acid. i dont know if i have too much or not enough but its definitely something to look in to. when i can, im going to ask about getting The Heidelberg Test done. it checks stomach acid imbalance
ruthere1
Junior

Post by ruthere1 »

here is more info on tests for imbalance:

Candida symptoms are many, as indicated earlier.
You can identify candida overgrowth and monitor your treatment by having your doctor order some simple lab tests. Common diagnostic tests to determine the presence of candida and leaky gut include the following:

• Candida Immune Complexes is a blood test that has been proven to be effective in the detection and monitoring of candida overgrowth (Candidiasis). Candida Immune Complexes correlate to clinical symptoms of Candidiasis;
• Candida antibody panel (IgG, IgM, IgA) ( is a blood test);
• Intestinal permeability testing for leaky gut syndrome (a blood test); and
• Digestive stool analysis and culture.

These tests help health care practitioners detect candida overgrowth, measure your resistance levels and determine your digestive efficiency and the presence of leaky gut. Food allergy screening (including IgG), which exposes delayed or hidden food responses, gluten sensitivity screening, and immune profiles further refine the therapeutic program.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, i'm quite surprised to hear this kit is unavailable in the US because it's a very cheap and reliable way to self-diagnose the problem. It affects 1 in 100 people too, so very common.

On the subject of tongue coatings, do you get much odour if you actually rub the back of your tongue with your finger? Licking wrists and waiting to dry is not very reliable because everyone will produce a small amount of vinegary/sour odour doing this, and this could become very misleading. But if you get some serious odours when you rub the back of your tongue then there is no doubt your breath will stink to a certain degree because of this.

I think we have to understand that a tongue coating is likely to be the combination of many different things. Mostly it's just dead skin that builds up. On top of that is probably some buildup of bacterial plaque which is dependant on the amount of bacterial activity on the tongue surface. If it's predominantly dead skin then the tongue surface is unlikely to smell much at all, even if it looks really thick. On the other hand, you could have a nice pink tongue, but papillae are still there (the red blood-filled part) providing quite a large anaerobic surface area, with a bacterial frenzy going on, producing lots of foul smelling chemicals.

I still think the most likely explanation for most people with bad breath where tongue odour is involved, as in my case, is that foul smelling chemicals get produced elsewhere, such as the sinuses, gums etc, which then find their way into the mouth and the tongue surface just acts like a sponge and ends up stinking.

Also, in the same way, a systemically produced odour that finds it's way into the saliva via the bloodstream could also cause this 'sponge' to stink.

If your odour is produced systemically then not only is your tongue likely to be a source of odour.

I can remember when my cousin used worry about her breath years ago. She'd make such a fuss how she needed to brush her teeth all the time and would go around trying to smell her own breath the way you described by puffing air upwards to her nose like she was trying to blow smoke rings. She would be in a near panic, yet whenever she came near me I could never smell anything bad, even when she'd just woken up. I honestly think that trying to determine one's own breath is impossible and likely to do nothing but raise anxieties. Yes, I know that by scraping the tongue and cleaning the mouth out meticulously will get rid of any traces of shitty smells for a while, but does it necessarily mean that when you are able to self-detect any shitty smells later on rising from your mouth that your breath stinks? I really dont think it does.

In my case, my tongue used to smell like I'd just rubbed a huge tonsil stone all over it. I still get a small amount of odour at the very back at times, but I think this is due to my remaining wisdom tooth which I'm due to have extracted very soon in hospital.

If my tongue still smelled so badly and I had no clue why, I'd first get fully checked over by a doctor and ask for full immunological, liver, kidney, thyroid function tests.
I'd then want to absolutely rule out bacterial/fungal chronic sinusitis or other nasal issues that might be causing some kind of discharge. If nasal irrigations make a difference (good or bad) then there's a clue that something isnt right up there. I would also make absolutely sure that I do not have helicobacter or intestinal parasites or have any food intolerances or deficiencies of any kind. I would then get tested for TMAU and try TMAU diets and take the measures that TMAU sufferers take to reduce their odour. I would certainly NOT be thinking about anti-candida measures or raw diets. The only way a raw diet might help anyone with BB is if you have TMAU, IMHO. Most other known metabolic disorders associated with BB have other clear symptoms, unlike TMAU.
There are certain immunological problems which can lead to problems with candida, but a doctor should easily be able to test for these with simple blood tests. Anything else about candida is pure quackery. So too is all this shit about toxins. Our body deals with toxins in our bloodstream. If it didnt we'd be dead, simple as that.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Hm, I don't think I have a tongue odor beyond that sour saliva smell.

Also, I don't have tonsil stone odor, as far as I know.
Back when I had my tonsils a couple years ago, if I didn't clean them out with cotton swabs twice a day, I'd experience the tonsil stone taste and odor from deep in my throat. I always thought tonsil stone odor was short range though. Unfortunately, the BB wasn't due to the tonsils and the stones were merely a symptom of it, gathering all the mucus and dead things within the mouth environment and creating those nasty balls we love to hate.

My BB ranges from smelly fart to diarrhea shit gas.. I get reactions when talking in anyone's direction even 6 feet away or more. I don't seem to have much of an odor, if any, coming from my nose.

When I'm teaching, and talking and running, I can fill up the room.

Yeah, I don't think any amount of toxin cleanse is going to help either..

There does seem to be a fungus related infection in me though, because my eczema responds to the anti fungal medication I've taken. But fungus overgrowth is a symptom of a weak immune system, and not necessarily the cause of it.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

the odour i get on my tongue has nothing to do with gums or sinuses, i am pretty sure about that. it is the way my tongue is structured

when you look through reasons for bad breath this is never given as a reason which annoys me

i can see it clearly in the mirror when i stick my tongue out. the small area where odour collects looks different and has little lines and crevices. this must have developed as i got older i think. if it was down to other reasons and not the way my tongue is structured then why does the rest of my tongue never have any odour whatsoever on it.

i think alot of BB you smell on people is because of this and nothing to do with teeth and gums. i only had a dentist appointment a couple of weeks ago and was told not to come back for a year because my teeth and gums are in such good condition. if it was coming from sinuses then surely the very back of my tongue would smell? i get no odour there whatsoever

this is incurable. you cant get a new tongue after all. for people who think they have BB because of an inner body reason should count themselves a bit fortunate. at least you may find your solution one day, maybe by chance, and be cured

also, it must be the structure of my tongue that i think is giving me some sort of tonsil stones. i have never fully coughed one up but if i press my tonsils hard with a finger i do notice little bits of white appear which do smell. i dont understand how i have never gotten a reasonable big tonsil stone coughed up. i went about a month a few weeks ago not looking at my tonsils because my mind was on something else and i never coughed up or found any bits of white in my mouth. maybe these little white things come out and i just swallow them but i dont understand why i have never coughed one up like most people

i have also been looking up tonsil stones and read that is very very common for people to have some sort of white calcium or whatever it is called in your tonsils. which has me thinking what i have may happen to an awful lot of people, some who may not have bad breath but they do not realise. if i wasnt always looking in the mirror and prodding my tonsils i probably wouldnt notice
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, the same thing happened with me regarding my tonsils. They were just part of the problem.

God knows Mike. Sounds like it's a bloodborne case of BB you suffer with. Even the most severe cases of BB that I've ever come across have never been able to travel more than a couple of feet away. It's as though the gases you are producing have the kind of characteristics of fart gas, which as everyone knows can certainly travel these kinds of distances and fill a room.

I hope you may eventually discover some sort of digestive cause which you'll be able to control, such as gluten intolerance or some kind of parasitic manifestation in your intestines that you'll eventually eradicate.

When did you BB start?

Regarding your eczema, fungus does normally live harmlessly on the skin. Where skin breaks, for exmaple with eczema, fungus can start to affect it and make it itchy and raw. Antifungal measures will lessen this. Anti-dandruff shampoos contain antifungals and regular use will control that situation.

@Danger, yes, no doubt that some tongue surfaces alone may be responsible. The centre of some people's tongue has a groove so deep that it's a known cause of BB in itself, so there's no doubt that the tongue's structure and it's own bacterial populations can be solely responsible for excessive odour production.

I've never seen any kind of research that has ever studied the depth of tongue papillae. Surely there must be a lot of variation in the general population.

Regarding your tonsils, can you see any of your tonsil crypts? If you cant see any, then maybe you dont have any? I could only see a couple of crypts on each of my tonsils, and they were scarily deep and it was shocking how many stones my tonsils would fill up with.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:Mike, the same thing happened with me regarding my tonsils. They were just part of the problem.

God knows Mike. Sounds like it's a bloodborne case of BB you suffer with. Even the most severe cases of BB that I've ever come across have never been able to travel more than a couple of feet away. It's as though the gases you are producing have the kind of characteristics of fart gas, which as everyone knows can certainly travel these kinds of distances and fill a room.

I hope you may eventually discover some sort of digestive cause which you'll be able to control, such as gluten intolerance or some kind of parasitic manifestation in your intestines that you'll eventually eradicate.

When did you BB start?

Regarding your eczema, fungus does normally live harmlessly on the skin. Where skin breaks, for exmaple with eczema, fungus can start to affect it and make it itchy and raw. Antifungal measures will lessen this. Anti-dandruff shampoos contain antifungals and regular use will control that situation.

@Danger, yes, no doubt that some tongue surfaces alone may be responsible. The centre of some people's tongue has a groove so deep that it's a known cause of BB in itself, so there's no doubt that the tongue's structure and it's own bacterial populations can be solely responsible for excessive odour production.

I've never seen any kind of research that has ever studied the depth of tongue papillae. Surely there must be a lot of variation in the general population.

Regarding your tonsils, can you see any of your tonsil crypts? If you cant see any, then maybe you dont have any? I could only see a couple of crypts on each of my tonsils, and they were scarily deep and it was shocking how many stones my tonsils would fill up with.
my left tonsil is bigger than my right tonsil, but these white things become noticable when i press on both tonsils. i can only really see one part which could be described as a crypt, on the arc of the smaller tonsil, but strangely i have never noticed any white from that part.

my larger tonsil is quite flat with 2 or 3 small round dimples on them but they are not, i think, crypts

maybe it is because i dont have noticable tonsil crypts that i dont get big tonsil stones like some of the pics on the net.they dont have time to build up before they dislodge themself. but then where are these little white things hiding when i push on the tonsil and make them visible. i guess i must have small crypts somewhere which is not that visible

i am just waiting for me to start coughing large tonsil stones up. i know that is next
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Danger, maybe those small white things are, as you suspect, the beginnings of a tonsil stone that never get a chance to grow much because of these various factors. I can remember when I used to soak up this skanky goo from my crypts with a cotton bud each day trying to prevent that stuff turning into stones, but could never stop them forming deep inside. I never thought to irrigate them back then. Sometimes I'd get a tiny stone, and it'd still stink like hell. A lot of times I'd also get a small stone that was probably just a piece of trapped food debris, because it didnt smell at all. True stones are unmistakeable.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

danger,

you need to go into the bathroom right now, grab a couple cotton swabs, and look deep into the mirror. Take a real good look at your tonsils. Poke them with the cotton swabs.. It shouldn't hurt you, so go ahead, feel around the whole tonsil with the cotton swab, pushing it into any grooves you see.. even if it doesn't look like a deep hole, you'd be surprised. And all it takes for the tiny stones you speak of is probably a small ridge. So push around, and learn the physiology of those little bastards.

When I still had my tonsils, I had truly massive stones coming from what I thought was my throat. When I discovered my BB and looked up info on these stones (which I had been living with since I was around 14 or even younger so I never really knew anything was that strange since it seemed normal for me) I was led to this site, for one thing..

But anyway, I would do my typical hacking procedure and get out all the stones I thought I had... but upon closer inspection of the tonsils with a cotton swab (as someone suggested online), I poked around and unveiled a crypt deeper than the entire cotton tip of the swab (maybe half an inch or more deep) and it was loaded with small 'developing' stones. Each tonsil was similarly constructed, both with nasty crypts.. even if it was cleaned out, the goo was building up constantly.. I had to clean the goo out twice a day to keep from getting the stones.

Anyway, I had the tonsils removed, and no more stones... Still have bad breath though.

halitosisux,

I became aware of my BB when I was around 21 or maybe 22. I had always felt a little depressed and anxious and was also crushed from a bad break up a year or so before, which I felt destroyed me... anyway I went on a course of an antidepressant... I found myself feeling relaxed and speaking more with people. I didn't take long for me to notice all the reactions that went with that, since I was speaking more openly and free than I ever had been.

But I can trace my BB back to when I was around 19 or 20 .. Definitely after highschool.. don't think I had any BB issues then,. I was pretty boisterous in classes, I'm pretty sure someone would have put me down if it was a problem.

I went to Thailand when I was 18 and can't help but think I might have picked up a parasite .. but could a parasite persist for this many years? Wouldn't signs of a parasite show up on an endoscopy? I don't know.

Oh, halitosisux, what do you think about the possibility of an Ileo-Cecal Valve dysfunction? I read the old thread and saw you were an active participant.. I don't have all the symptoms listed, but it would definitely explain why my breath smells like shit farts, and would also explain my indigestion.

I can never smell it take over the whole room (I can only sense it in whiffs when there's a source of carbon dioxide near me, like another person breathing or talking), but I'm aware it sometimes does when I'm getting really active in a class and the next students come.. So I don't know if it does linger as much as a real fart.. I'd say no, but I also can't sense it for more than a mere second, so I have no idea)

It is fart breath though... thing is, even though I'm not gassy all day anymore, thanks to taking gluten out of my diet, it's still the same damn shitty fart smell.. I didn't see any reactions today, but I did catch whiffs of it myself while breathing hard when I was running around with kids. Then later when on the subway, an old man got up to get off the train and passed directly in front of me (I was standing up, so our faces were close). As he walked by I smelled the same fart smell, but only for a second. If he had left a fart, I'd still have smelled it.. I'm sure it was also my breath.. Guh.

If I had ICV dysfunction, it would still make sense.

You had a lot of good theories in that thread... what came of that? Don't think it's your own problem?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic