Your Email Address:

First Name:

What is the best way to check our breath...

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
john_bb
Advanced

What is the best way to check our breath...

Post by john_bb »

Hi folks.... back to basics...

What is "the best way to check our own breath"....

I mean if I dont get any negative results from that test I should not get reactions from ppl....
Pls help me find one..
I knew costly ones like halitometer but its too costly...
I also knew about lick test, pillow test, blowing air in to a cup etc etc...which is the best and inexpensive one.....
John

elliott
God

Post by elliott »

The #1 way is to talk to someone.

You don't have to know them. Go into a store and ask for change. Ask someone for directions. Do it a few times, and study the reactions. You never have to see them again.

There's no way around it, if you want to know if your breath smells towards another person, then you have to allow another person to smell your breath. If you are anxious about talking, even to strangers (I know because I had to get over this myself), try to get beyond it, because that anxiety is a separate issue that is part of the problem. Accept that you smell, and use strangers to confirm it. The upfront honesty of a stranger's reaction is hard to take, but it is all psychological for you.

BTW If you ride a train, you don't usually have to say anything. You begin to recognize how people react when there's a smell around them, by a quick glance or turning away. When this happens, not only do you know your breath stinks, but you know that your odor is permeating around you.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

lick test works best for me. also, if you blow a puff of air while curling your lower lip (sticking it out), the air flows towards your nose.. and then VERY quickly smell it. you can smell it that way if you are fast enough.
oasis
Total Newbie

Post by oasis »

ruch>

The lower lip test always works good for me too, and I think its an adequate method (a very sad truth for me).

I wonder why the lower lip test is mentioned so seldom as a breath test method? Doesn't it work for many of you?
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Go into a store. Find a random store person to talk to. Stand really close to him or her. Open your mouth.................close it (goes automatically). See the look on that person's face "how he/she thinks: "you should brush your teeth!, while you think to yourself "I did"...
deebo

Post by deebo »

oasis wrote:ruch>

The lower lip test always works good for me too, and I think its an adequate method (a very sad truth for me).

I wonder why the lower lip test is mentioned so seldom as a breath test method? Doesn't it work for many of you?
it never works for me unless i just have normal morning breath ,which would be a Godsend compared to billowing out roomfilling bb from my Nose like VX gas .

I would think if the lower lip works for you ,cupping the hands might too . no ?
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

I once got two q-tips and two jars. I scraped some of the white coating off my tongue with one q-tip put it in one jar along with some of my saliva. And stuck the other really far up my nose and stuck that q-tip in another jar. Place it someone warm and for a few days and opened each. It's crazy because when i did this i found that the q-tip that was stuck up my nose was the worst smelling. Thats why i originally thought my bb was related to my sinuses. Still not sure.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hali_grl I tried something similar in the past. Placed some mucousy saliva into a sterile plastic container and kept it at about 30C degrees. After about 4 hours the smell inside the container literally made me feel ill. The reason wasn't so much because of the actual smell, but it was because it was so instantly recognisable as the stench of my bad breath. The tests didn't always work, maybe the temperature or the samples I took weren't quite right each time.

Maybe if a few others tried this test, including the one you tried with the nasal sample, it might help some people to get some understanding of where their problem is originating from.

In my case it was unequivocal proof that bacterial activity relating to the bacteria and conditions inside my mouth were responsible for my BB.

I think it would be very interesting if more people tried these kinds of experiments and to post their findings, whatever they discover.
Last edited by halitosisux on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Phantasist will probably remind you that white coatings dont smell of anything - this is true because white coatings are mostly dead skin and keratin - which, while still on the tongue, do nothing but act as an extra-anaerobic habitat for the anaerobic oral bacteria to produce their stench.

The reason why I'm saying that is because it might be worth trying your oral q-tip test with some mucousy saliva rather than just a scraping of white coating.
oasis
Total Newbie

Post by oasis »

deebo>

Cupping my hands an try to smell has never worked for me. I assume the puff of exhaled air can't be smelled quickly enough that way. Moving my lower lips I guess lets the puff reach the nose fast enough. Also sticking my tongue out and letting the gases freely rise and enter my nose also works fine.
deebo

Post by deebo »

oasis wrote:deebo>

Cupping my hands an try to smell has never worked for me. I assume the puff of exhaled air can't be smelled quickly enough that way. Moving my lower lips I guess lets the puff reach the nose fast enough. Also sticking my tongue out and letting the gases freely rise and enter my nose also works fine.
I see . Its curious how olfactory's work .

Like to try some experiments like sux and h-grl myself . Last week I asked my ENT about running culture test of this sort. She basically dismissed them ,saying trying broad spectrum is best . I'm thinking that cultures may pin point what and where is odorous . Then a targeted effort .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic