Your Email Address:

First Name:

just another story

Tell us your story with bad breath
mostlylogical

just another story

Post by mostlylogical »

hi,
I guess it's time to tell my own story. I should say this first,i'm sorry for not being able to write it grammaticaly perfect, i should have paid more attention to the english classes at school :) and oh, if you find your experiences similar to mine, please write your thoughts, advices out here, they're very valuable to me.

It all started 6 years ago, when i had to pull one of my upper molars out at the age of 18.The doctor said there is no option but to pull it out, and i agreed to proceed. The next few days were quite bloody and smelly, and the fact that i'll have to continue my life without a tooth placed me psychologically at the bottom.

The smell was incredibly awful, but i was thinking it is because of the coagulated blood in my mouth.I was wrong.A few days later, i was able to clear my mouth with brush and rinses, but my mouth still felt bad and there still was a strong smell.The difference of my mouth's situation before and after operation was so huge, it gave me some hard time in social places(still gives though). That was the last months of my highschool life, and i decided to give it some time. A few months later, the hole where there should be my molar tooth closed, but still there wasn't any change with my situation. That was when i talked with that doctor, who operated the pulling out process.He quickly told me there weren't any strong smell, it's just normal, but it wasn't obviously.

I tried to open the situation to other doctors at the time,(some were dentists , some weren't ), but the general attitude wasn't that different, and there wasn't any progress at all.

Two years ago,the dentist i've visited told me that my wisdom teeth may cause the problem, and strongly suggested the removal of them .His attitude wasn't reassuring at all, and i thought he was just another doctor who wants only money, but still give it a chance, and one of my wisdoms was removed.After a few weeks, there weren't any improvement and i decided not to continue pulling other three out.(btw, the one which was pulled out was the only one which is visible to eye.All other three was in an embedded position, and the fact that it all begun suddenly makes it illogical to assume that they're the source of smell. (At least i thought this way at the time)

This summer, i read on a website that amalgam fillings may cause bad breath.This and the fact that amalgam fillings aren't aesthetically pleasing motivated me to replace them with the ones that have the same color with tooth.Again,even though that cost me quite much(there were 8 of them), there wasn't any improvement with the smell.

Finally, two months ago, i found the traces of Dr.Murat (aydinmur as you all know ) on web, and thought getting an appointment wouldn't hurt. After the consultation, he told me that in my situation, it'd be safe to categorize the smell as type 2 or type 3(in his own categorization system) and told me that he is suspecting intestinal parasites and/or h.pylori bacteria may cause the smell. I was asked to perform stool tests(3 times consecutively at lest) and urea breath test.(and a ct scan later)

During past two months, i performed that tests, and shared the results with Dr.Murat(intestinal parasites tests were all negative, h.pylori was positive ), and used "sitrax" (a medicine which paralyses the intestinal worms) just to ensure that there weren't any parasite in my belly.Now i'm using a triple treatment medicine called "helipak" in order to exterminate the h.pylori population in my stomach (it's been three days and no change at all ), and after that treatment ends, i'll have an appoinment with an ENT doctor, as ct scan shows a deviated septum and an overly growed concha bullosa in my nose.

i'm brushing my teeth and scraping my tongue regularly for 6 years, and have been using a rinse which contains zn (the one aydinmur formulated) for one month now, but sadly they're of little help. Even though i brush my teeth and scrap my tongue, and rinse my mouth, after 30 minutes, saliva in my mouth starts smelling again.(i guess it smells like feces)

There weren't any day or a few hours that i was bb free or i had a pink tongue for six years now, and i really don't know whats wrong with my body.I never felt that smell before loosing my molar tooth, and thinking my medical past, there isn't really any major problem.The only thing i can imagine that may be releated with this somehow is the fact that i had foot fungus for a short time period, back then 5-6 or maybe 7 years ago.Can that be somehow releated with my bb ?

I'm hoping to be healty again after that possible nose operation(it looks h.pylori doesn't effeect my breath since it has been three days i'm on drugs and no change at all), but i still have that feeling that it won't be of much help.after all a concha can't grow suddenly right ?

By the way, if any one of you went through the h.pylori antigen in stoll test, don't trust it. Before breath urea test, i went through it since it's cheaper and there aren't any nuclear medicine department in the town, and the result was negative. It was the right move for me not to trust that test, and performing a more reliable one.

Edit: ah, i forgot to tell my ENT experiences.I have visited two of them past few years.Mentioned them that from time to time,especially in last two years some white stinky particles are coming out of my tonsils(actually only l-the left one), and the first doctor i've seen two years ago said tonsil stones you've developed aren't too much, and unimportant.they seem grow a little bigger over the past two years, and the second ENT doc. i visited last month said i should consider removal of them.i asked him if hes sure that the source of smell is my tonsils or not, but he didn't give me a solid answer.as always.

As my tonsils current situation.they really don't seem unhealty.Only the left one have some small white particles on it.Thats all.

Do any one of you get cured after removal of tonsils even though they seem quite healty ? i wonder how it all started for who got cured after removal of their tonsils.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi there. Was that molar you had extracted an upper tooth?
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

I too had my bb start after teeth extraction.
It was Thanksgiving morning (US) and I woke up with throbbing pain. My mother took me to an emergency dentist that had a crowd in the waiting room (if I remember correctly, it looked like a shady weird place)

I had bloody dry socket and food getting caught in the gap holes (all wisdoms were pulled). Finally I healed. And my nightmare began.

The only other MAJOR thing that I had going on in my life was that I was taking Accutane for acne, which is a controversial drug.

I feel your pain. But maybe there is a link between our situations.
mostlylogical

Post by mostlylogical »

halitosisux wrote:Hi there. Was that molar you had extracted an upper tooth?
yes, it was the first molar which was extracted from my upper jaw.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, the reason I asked that question is that if the onset of your BB coincided with the removal of an upper molar, there's a possibility that the root of this tooth may have sat very high up near your sinus. When the tooth got extracted, the root may have penetrated into the sinus and initiated an infection.

When molars become deeply decayed or infected, they can sometimes cause sinus infections.

Another possibility is that the extraction of this molar affected your remaining wisdom teeth in some way, causing problems which lead to BB.

There are also a number of people on this forum who took Accutane and believe their BB has some connection to this.
mostlylogical

Post by mostlylogical »

halitosisux wrote:Hi, the reason I asked that question is that if the onset of your BB coincided with the removal of an upper molar, there's a possibility that the root of this tooth may have sat very high up near your sinus. When the tooth got extracted, the root may have penetrated into the sinus and initiated an infection.

When molars become deeply decayed or infected, they can sometimes cause sinus infections.

Another possibility is that the extraction of this molar affected your remaining wisdom teeth in some way, causing problems which lead to BB.

There are also a number of people on this forum who took Accutane and believe their BB has some connection to this.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Now you said that, it reminded me that on my first medical examination Dr.Murat also suggested something like that may had happened during operation(i can't really recall the term he used).We never went over it yet though.i guess after two weeks helipak treatment i'm on, and before my possible nose surgery, i should contact him again over this matter.

How can one determine if there is a this kind of sinus infection or not ? a panaromic x-ray of the mouth ? what kind of treatment it requries ? are there members here being cured by having this treatment ?

sorry if all that questions seemed endless.i'm just hungry to learn more about this BB problem, it really hurts if you don't know what's your body's problem, you know.

And btw, no , never used Accutane or something like that.Never developed an acne actually.
mindyb wrote:I too had my bb start after../------\..maybe there is a link between our situations.
hey thanks mindy, i find your story interesting as how it all started for you is similar to mine.i'll read more of your posts soon,you've probably told all the details many times already. Lets stay in contact :)
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

Hi :) Did you take any antibiotics or other medicine during that time?
mostlylogical

Post by mostlylogical »

clara0 wrote:Hi :) Did you take any antibiotics or other medicine during that time?
i am now using a triple treatment called helipak.i used that before like 4 years ago.i also used sitrax and festal'N last month, even though parasite tests were negative.other than that, i guess i never used any specific medicine or antibiotic to prevent bb.

eddition to the op: for some reason, i forgot to tell you about my PND.as far as i can remember, i have that like 5-6 years.at first times, it was more intensive, but in last years,it became more unnoticable. i am using a nasal irrigator for two weeks now, and i guess it helps a little.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, sorry, it was late and I got confused between you and mindyb over the Accutane.

It's interesting that your PND started around the same time as your BB and extraction. Dr. Aydinmur knows the type of diagnostic imaging and tests you'll require to find out whether or not you have this type of sinus infection. Good luck with that.
potty_mouth
Junior

Post by potty_mouth »

mindyb wrote:I too had my bb start after teeth extraction.
It was Thanksgiving morning (US) and I woke up with throbbing pain. My mother took me to an emergency dentist that had a crowd in the waiting room (if I remember correctly, it looked like a shady weird place)

I had bloody dry socket and food getting caught in the gap holes (all wisdoms were pulled). Finally I healed. And my nightmare began.

The only other MAJOR thing that I had going on in my life was that I was taking Accutane for acne, which is a controversial drug.

I feel your pain. But maybe there is a link between our situations.
My problem started around the time I had my wisdom teeth extracted!
But I've just been to a second ENT and she said that my CT scan shows a normal amount of mucosal thickening and that I would need a general anaesthetic for her to be able to swab my sinuses. She told me she didn't smell anything and basically not to come back.
I don't think a CT scan would show up a puncture of the sinus once the tooth is gone, but I'm not sure. Interesting that three of us have the same story.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic