Your Email Address:

First Name:

Is acid reflux the cause of my bad breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Is acid reflux the cause of my bad breath?

Post by Jimi Stein »

I wonder this, it happened many times, when i not sleep for longer perios of time, i felt better, i guess it must be connected with sleeping in horizontal pose, where acid can reach my mouth, sinuses, area.

I did not sleep again for 24 hours, and i felt better, that taste in my throat and bellow my throat was much better.

Feels like i have an acid reflux all the time.
Why else would i feel fresher taste when I am not sleeping longer period of time. Now I wake up and feel shittier again, taste is back, I feel acid in my throat, and my sinuses too.

This must be my problem I think. It must be.
One guy was cured here with the pills he took i think, i think I should try that.

I know when I went to doctor first time, they said that I have little too much acid. I still remember the taste of those pills though.

I did not take them long time. I was experiementing with baking soda now, but does not work that well. It helps, but dunno how much

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Jimi, I remember you saying your enamel on your teeth was in bad condition and you get a lot of tooth pain when you go on raw diet or when you have used certain types of mouthwash - acid from your stomach can damage your teeth in this way.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I have the exact same thing!

If I only get 5 hours of so of sleep, I wake up with a stomach that feels relatively light and happy.... I also then take a solid crap..

If I sleep 7 or 8 or more hours, I wake up to a sour, burning stomach.. The sensation may actually be coming from the intestines though. The worse this is, it seems, the more likely the latter half or most of the crap coming out of my butt is a muddy mess.

What does this mean!? I was thinking this morning that perhaps that burning of the flesh in the intestines is what causes the odor, or perhaps it's burning the intestinal wall often enough that it keeps it in a thin, unhealthy state, absorbing gases and toxins from my shit very easily.

I've read that if you hold in farts, when the volume of pressure is high enough, the gas will be absorbed into your blood and be exhaled through your breath and skin.... Perhaps my instestinal wall is so thin and weak from constant acid over exposure, that it takes very little pressure,or none at all, before the crap is being absorbed.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, this is just a thought, but I wonder if acidified stomach contents are somehow making it into your intestines? This, in theory, could cause you to have some of the digestive symptoms you describe, including an effect on your gut flora and a cause of bad breath.

I don't think I've ever heard anything like this mentioned before, probably because something like this, even in the slightest, would likely result in death, but if it was just mildly acidic from dysfunctional acid neutraliztion.
Sorry if this is total nonsense, I'm in a mad rush.. something to consider tho.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

When you are sleeping, you are kinda fasting, that's why the 1st meal of the day is called break-fast.

When you are fasting, your organs are not digesting food, they are instead expelling waste, the breath is one of the many ways used by the body to expel waste. It happens to healthy people too, many have BB in the morning if they don't eat.

So, if you don't sleep, you're not fasting as much, thus you stink less, that is the hippie gist of it.

This will be a highly controversial opinion but it is my belief that very long fasts could be the only way to cure BB permanently. Maybe our organs are simply backed up.. I've been attempting to put that theory to test, it's just very very hard.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Could also be an improperly functioning colon.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Improperly functional colon may cause acid reflux.
Keeping your head/shoulder back elevated a little while lying down may help, but does not cure acidity. It may work as a remedy to help sleep better, but not a solution. Same with PND, chronic bronchitis , nasal congestion where lying down flat is uncomfortable, its advisable to keep head elevated at a certain angel just to get a good night sleep. One still needs to take necessary medication to get rid of the illness.
Going on zantec and hydrogen per oxide, some improvement, but l have a feeling that my bb will return to peak, if I discontinue this. There is a slight reduction in my bb. I have a very acidic saliva (Ph level) and I need to find how to make it alkaline.
Tibya
Advanced

Re: Is acid reflux the cause of my bad breath?

Post by Tibya »

Jimi wrote: Feels like i have an acid reflux all the time.
I know when I went to doctor first time, they said that I have little too much acid. I still remember the taste of those pills though.

I did not take them long time. I was experiementing with baking soda now, but does not work that well. It helps, but dunno how much
Hi Jimi,

1) What did you do to get rid of this acid reflux?
2) Do you remember the medicine that the doctor prescribed?
I am using baking soda since last few days and I keep checking my saliva with ph strips. I read somewhere, if your body is not alkaline no medicine will work .
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

acid reflux can be from having too much bad bacteria in gut. i know if you have h pylori you have bad acid reflux. I have acid reflux all the time, but I have a hiatal hernia. It mainly jumps up to my throat when I lay down. I don't get indigestion. I refuse to take acid reflux drugs because you cannot stay on them forever because they cause bone damage. And people have reported that when they go off of them the acid reflux is ten times worse.

There is a theory that one has acid reflux because the stomach is not acidic enough (maybe too much bacteria) so it overcompensates and produces too much when you eat. Try taking a tiny bit of Apple Cider Vinegar in warm water with each meal and see if it helps. I works for me sometimes and it gives you so much energy. I cleaned my whole house the first week I tried it.
Parsley
Total Newbie

Post by Parsley »

If acid reflux is causing your bad breath, you may want to look into trying a low carb diet, as carbohydrates can affect your digestion.

Norm Robillard has written a book on the topic that you can find at Amazon.

Here is an article on the topic:
http://www.badbreathfear.com/acidrefluxandbadbreath.php
Frantix

Post by Frantix »

I´m on metronidazol for two days now. I still have a sour taste expecially when i wake up it is really strong. In the past I blamed it on the growth of anearobic bacteria because of less saliver while sleeping. Surprisingly at the moment the lick-tests are 100% negative also from the rear bottom of the tonque. No smell detectable, but the sour taste is there.
I also had very good results on low-carb respectivley raw food diet. PPIs and H2-Blocker also made good results.

I think I really need to see an expert for silent reflux.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Hi Jimi - I have have been told I have LPR reflux (the good old silent reflux). I have been on Prilosec for six months and still have the bad breath. I have problems with my bowls, wrong color i.e. yellow or green. I feel light bubbles in the back of my throat. At times trouble swallowing or feeling constriction around my throat. If I eat, let's say some pizza or red sauce my nose with have clear fluid and run. It goes into my left ear and I loose hearing for brief periods, sometimes my eyes water and burn. My nose can burn too. Sometimes I have trouble breathing out of my nose when sleeping. I have sweats. You would need an ENT doc to scope your nose and then do a ph probe I believe.
Free2breathe on this site apparantly has this same problem but has used Nexium with success at bad breath reduction. Oh and my stomach makes all kinds of strange sounds. Not sure if this sounds like you. People can smell my breath from a distance. I am a 40 year old very fit woman. I did used to drink a lot. Not so much now. I am into fitness and good eating. There is a surgery with mixed results for this - a fundoplication. You probably know about it. I reflux sitting up or lying down. I used to feel like I had a golfball in my throat at times or like I have shoe strings wrapped around it. Lousy. :roll:
time4change
Junior

Post by time4change »

how strange, my problem is the opposite - if I dont get enough sleep, or the longer i stay awake, the worse my breath is. Not sure how this relates to acid reflux then, but maybe its a similar thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic