Your Email Address:

First Name:

BB did not respond to metronidazole; I have questions

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
perrymason
Advanced

BB did not respond to metronidazole; I have questions

Post by perrymason »

This has been a long battle. I constantly have to find new ways to keep myself motivated since nothing seems to work. Anyways...

I had been taking metronidazole tablets back in January (can't quite remember the dosage, but it was a recommended dosage I found here on the forums). I continued the dosage for a total of 3 1/2 weeks, taking I'd say around 2 tablets (of 500 mg each, I can't quite remember) a day. I was having bowel trouble with the metro, but I kept my probiotic intake up to counter the negative effects.

No improvement in BB. None. Now, what conclusions may I draw from this? I still feel I have type 2 odor, which originates in my nasal cavity. (I have horrendous PND and coating on my tongue, as well as a nasal odor which has been confirmed to fill up a small room).

Aydinmur, and any one else out there, what conclusions may I draw from the fact that the metronidazole has not worked for me? Do I not have TMAU? I realize this is not a conclusive test, but I am 110% sure I do not have any body odor, and am hoping I do not have TMAU.

Also, is it possible that the odor causing bacteria were unaffected by the antibiotics due to the biofilm covering them in my nasal cavity (as read somewhere on this forum).

I will be graduating soon, and will be interviewing for full time engineering positions in the coming months. I can't continue with this problem. It is eating me alive. I can't be in a room without people covering their noses, or rubbing their noses like they just smelled the most horrid thing in the world. Is there NO end? I don't know what to do anymore.....
Last edited by perrymason on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

perrymason
Advanced

Post by perrymason »

Forgot to mention my routine consists of irrigation with alkalol, and tongue cleaning.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Metronidazole would normally make a big difference if your BB was purely because of the bacterial activity on your tongue. Metronidazole would also tend to improve your bad breath if you had underlying dental problems causing your BB.

Also, people with TMAU usually experience a degree of improvement with metronidazole and other antibiotics which affect the gut flora.

The one thing that most short courses of antibiotics will tend to have no effect on is chronic sinusitis. This is because chronic sinusitis will usually involve biofilm formation and even fungal growths. The sinuses really are the perfect place for such situations to take hold. It is also because antibiotics do not effectively reach the intended target within the cavities of the sinuses.

What kind of sinus scans have you had?

You may find that the irrigations you have tried give temporary relief, because you will have washed away the stagnating foulness which lined your nasal passages, but the problem returns because the source is in your sinuses. Irrigations are likely to only worsen the situation in there.

With the guidance from your ENT, it might be worth trying a pulsating irrigation using a solution of antibacterial and antifungal medications. I wish I could give you more definite advice, but these are just some ideas that might help, or at least help you to home-in on your cause.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic