Your Email Address:

First Name:

Try going vegan?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
shimpu
Total Newbie

Try going vegan?

Post by shimpu »

Hi, I'm new to this site, but just wanted to offer my experiences. It truly breaks my heart to read about some of you younger people at your wits' end with this problem.
I'm pushing 50 now, but suffered in my youth, as now, with this social stigma. My older sister used to tell me that my breath stank of "poo and onions" from the age of maybe 8. I remember my mom asking me almost daily "have you brushed your teeth today?" when we spoke face to face, and, of course, there was always "the flinch", that involuntary recoil when too close to someone. Later, in my teens, the flinch was often accompanied by a strong swearword. After the age of maybe 15 or 16 I began to drink beer, reasoning that if my breath smelled like my dad's when he came home from the pub, it couldn't smell of poo and onions. Thereafter beer became a crutch - I've never had a drink problem, but I also never faced a social situation without a drink.
Anyway, the change came in my early 20s when I turned vegan, for no other reason than concern for animal welfare, And, though "healthy eating" was never my primary concern, my strong beliefs meant that I never, EVER, lapsed from veganism.
And, yes, BB was, at least after a while, forgotten. The only person I ever directly asked was during this 21 year period, who confirmed that my breath was as fresh as a mountain stream! (even after 10 years I still felt that breath paranoia). Let me stress that I never sought to eat healthily, I actively sought out vegan alternatives to sweets, cakes, ice cream, you name it, but I NEVER ate animal products.
OK, so 5 or so years ago when asked by a relative stranger why I was a vegan I found I'd lost touch with my youthful reasons, and subsequently first tried fish, then meat, then dairy, and now anything goes!
But wait! The old long-forgotten adversary is back too, the flinch, the other day, in my sister's car she even asked if I or one of our kids had trodden in something ( and I had to embarrassingly go through the motions of checkng the kids' shoes, knowing it was my breath she'd smelled)
So anyway, I don't want to trivialise this issue, because I KNOW how much this cuts, how hurt you are, how unfair that your friend who lives on burgers and chips and shit is fine while you have this affliction, but for myself, nowadays I don't care so much - I've got three beautiful kids (even if the oldest sometimes does the flinch) but I hate the thought of your despair while you contemplate your whole life like this - so, if you've tried everything else, why not try veganism? It worked for me for 21 years, it might work for you too.
Thanks for reading, and please know that somebody understands.

perrymason
Advanced

Post by perrymason »

Interesting. I would be willing to give it a shot. Nice to hear how it worked for some time.

It's really tough going to a vegan diet working out like I do. I would need a whole lot of supplementation and various other sources of protein.

It's impractical for me :/
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

It might work, but so tough especially with all the other pressures, I just sometimes go out and eat to the closest place I can find to fill my hungry stomach. Strict diet restriction is my last option, but once I make up my mind, I think I will stick to it.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

pervy19 wrote:Interesting. I would be willing to give it a shot. Nice to hear how it worked for some time.

It's really tough going to a vegan diet working out like I do. I would need a whole lot of supplementation and various other sources of protein.

It's impractical for me :/
I work out too... and drink a lot of protein, etc.... so I don't know how I could incorporate that into my life. But I've thought hard about it. :(
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

@shimpu
Do you eat a cooked vegetarian diet or a raw vegan? Do you eat any eggs? Thanks
math

Post by math »

I also workout and am a vegan.

First of all, it's possible to be vegan and eat very unhealthy. Like frying potatoes in a veggie oil and eating it with processed white bread. Fried stuff is bad even if you fry vegan stuff unless you use coconut oil. I also abstain from eating foods that contain yeast.

As for the calories, it is actually very easy for me to fulfill my daily caloric needs. This morning, I made a stew thing with lentils, rice, a carrot and an onion. Added NOTHING to those 4 ingredients except for salt. Used to add a it of veggie oil to it to make sure rice doesn't stick together, but now I don't even do that. Removing even that much oil, which is not even fried, makes me feel noticeably better. Very tasty, calorically heavy and contains TONS of proteins. Keeps me full, yet light. I don't expend energy to carry around all the food in me like non-vegan meals. You can also drink nut milks that actually pack a punch when it comes to calories and proteins. All I do, aside from eating vegan, is take iron and B-group vitamin sups.

Very easy to curb craving- just never let yourself get hungry. I snack on peanuts (one of the few nuts I can tolerate well). It's kind of tough to eat messloads of them, or any other nuts, in one sitting so what I do is brew green tea and eat them with the tea instead of cookies or other traditional stuff that goes with tea. That way I can eat tons of them with ease.

Yes, I lost some weight since I went vegan. I don't miss that water weight. I tried going vegan when I was younger multiple times and kept ending up looking like a stick. This time around, my "mainframe" is still there- I look like me, just a bit slimmer. I think it's because my metabolism, probably, slowed down.
math

Post by math »

sadgirlbb wrote:
I work out too... and drink a lot of protein, etc.... so I don't know how I could incorporate that into my life. But I've thought hard about it. :(
What kind of protein do you drink? There are so many kinds with tons of added garbage, aside from usual intolerance inducing ingredients like lactose, casein etc.

If the boatloads of proteins in beans, nuts, lentils, some vegetables and fruits and whole bunch of other vegan foods aren't enough, you could try vegan proteins sups made of peas or hemp or rice or whatever. Whole Foods carries a lot of those.[/quote]
shimpu
Total Newbie

Post by shimpu »

@Clara0
Hi Clara, it was simply a vegan diet - just 100% animal free, no meat, no milk, no eggs, checking carefully for any animal derived ingredients, but otherwise eating and drinking whatever I wanted - I certainly wasn't a health food nut! (although I did always feel pretty healthy and didn't get sick much, but that may just be my own constitution) In addition to the 20year suspension of BB, the excess fat also disappeared from me, and I remember my gf at the time telling me that my feet had been pretty smelly before, but that too had disappeared![/quote]
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Shimpu, thanks for sharing your amazing story. Do you intend to go back on the vegan diet to find out whether it clears your breath odour once again?

I notice you said that you still felt the paranoia even though you were told that your breath was as fresh as a mountain stream.

Could you ever detect your bad breath yourself? Did you ever have a bad smelling tongue for instance, or be able to catch rebounds of your breath odour.

If you suspect that your bad breath originated from your mouth, did your mouth ever feel different between the time you know you had bad breath and the time you know you didn't? Are there any other symptoms you noticed?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

@Shimpo
Thanks for your reply. Actually I have been on both a raw vegan diet (with almost no bb but I gave up because of the problems) and a vegetarian diet and nowadays I eat chicken or eggs once a week and the rest of the week I eat like a vegetarian+lots of raw stuff.
I am curious to know where does your bb originate from stomach or sinuses ?
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

math wrote:
sadgirlbb wrote:
What kind of protein do you drink? There are so many kinds with tons of added garbage, aside from usual intolerance inducing ingredients like lactose, casein etc.

If the boatloads of proteins in beans, nuts, lentils, some vegetables and fruits and whole bunch of other vegan foods aren't enough, you could try vegan proteins sups made of peas or hemp or rice or whatever. Whole Foods carries a lot of those.
[/quote]

Thank you Math for the suggestion of alternative protein at Whole Foods.... I have been thinking about it. But I'm so deeply entrenched in what I've eaten most of my life, guess I've been afraid to take the plunge!! I drink Isopure protein powder. Its lactose free as I'm loctose intolerant. And its the only protein powder I've tried that does not hurt my stomach. Here are the ingredients. Maybe someone that is "in the know" can comment good or bad stuff?

Ingredients:
Ion Exchange Whey (Milk) Protein Isolate, Maltodextrin, Vitamin/Mineral/Amino Acid Blend (Taurine, Potassium(as Potassium Chloride), Chloride(as Potassium And Sodium Chloride), Calcium(as Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate), Phosphorus(as Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate), L-Glutamine, Magnesium(as Magnesium Oxide), Vitamin C(as Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E(as DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate), Niacin, Zinc(as Zinc Sulfate Dihydrate), Vitamin A(as Palmitate), Pantothenic Acid(as D-Calcium Pantothenate), Vitamin B6(as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Copper(as Amino Acid Chelate), Manganese(as Manganese Sulfate Dihydrate), Riboflavin, Thiamin(as Thiamin Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Iodide(as Potassium Iodide), Chromium(as Amino Acid Chelate), Vitamin K, Molybdenum(as Amino Acid Chelate), Selenium(as Amino Acid Chelate), Vitamin B12), Cocoa, Soy Lecithin, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

clara0 wrote:@Shimpo
Thanks for your reply. Actually I have been on both a raw vegan diet (with almost no bb but I gave up because of the problems) and a vegetarian diet and nowadays I eat chicken or eggs once a week and the rest of the week I eat like a vegetarian+lots of raw stuff.
I am curious to know where does your bb originate from stomach or sinuses ?
Clara what kinds of problems did you have with the raw vegan diet?
deebo

protein when vegan

Post by deebo »

there is No medical term for 'protein deficiency' .

i set to prove that overt protein was not required during 100% fruitarian diet for 7+ months (as well as reduce my bb)
the healthy body needs Amino Acids to build protein(you)
but it does not require protein to build protein .

skunkhugs on skype
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

@sadgirlbb
bone/teeth problems (several teeth got dark& sensitive) + weakness all the time+ losing lots of weight (I was 48 before going raw and I ended up at less than 40kg)
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Wow Clara I would not like the dark teeth... among the other things as well! Are these common side effects? Did you get you teeth color back?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic