Your Email Address:

First Name:

Experience/advice about periodontal disease treatment?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Eric
Advanced

Experience/advice about periodontal disease treatment?

Post by Eric »

I am scheduled to undergo treatment for my periodontal disease on the 23rd. I do not have dental insurance so it is going to cost me a fair chunk of change. I have the option of just getting the root planing/scaling or paying almost double for this combined with a special 'antibacterial rinse and laser treatment'. Apparently the point of the laser is to burn away dead parts of the gums that result from the hygienist's scaling (scraping). They told me that this is beneficial because it allows the living gum tissue to more easily adhere to itself and re-grow quicker. Theoretically this is supposed to prevent the disease from setting in as quickly or as deeply.

To anybody who has experience or knowledge of this.. Is it worth it for the laser treatment?

Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

I have done laser (soft tissue laser). But if you have severe peridontal disease, soft tissue laser will not work. You need to go to periodentist and he will use CO2 or LANAP laser.
Most insurances cover laser, and the code the dentist use is same for clamming the money, so its better to get it done through LANAP rather than soft tissue because it may be cost you the same. LANAP can be used only by special dentists like periodentist where as soft tissue laser can be used by general dentist. Do some research online.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Since you do not have insurance, try to negotiate the price with the periodontist. Everything is negotiable!!! Ask for payment options or something like 40% upfront or discount on 100% payment. They should be able to offer you monthly payment option. Also, laser is not the ultimate cure, peridontal disease can come back anytime, so regular oral hygine is a MUST. You skip one day and there it is, back on your gums.Good luck!!!
2ndbanana
Junior

Post by 2ndbanana »

eric do you already know how much they're going to charge you? i think i'm gonna consult a periodontist too. i don't have any insurance also. i think lanap is better.
LisaLisa
Junior

Post by LisaLisa »

Hi Eric,
I have no experience with laser treatment, but I did have the planing/scaling done 10 years ago. My gums weren't horrible, but I had some pretty deep pockets around my back molars and 3 through 5's on the rest of my teeth. Anyway, after the procedure I followed all of the periodontist's instructions to a tee, and within 2-3 months my gums were in great shape, and have been ever since. So for what it's worth, in my experience the planing/scaling alone work fine, as long as you're willing to follow up with all the post-procedure instructions.

My periodontist actually sat with me in his office, told me he doesn't like wasting his time unless patients are willing to do their part, and showed me a list of all the things I would need to do after the procedure. He made sure I was willing to commit before he went ahead and did the work. The hygienist told me he did that with everyone. :roll:
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Another person with a history of periodontal disease.....lisalisa.

Go figure.
LisaLisa
Junior

Post by LisaLisa »

NOTANYMORE,

I sent you a PM. It wouldn't be very nice to hijack Eric's thread.

Lisa
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

I don't do PM's Lisa. Anything I have to say will be open for the public viewing. Yes, my comment was "snarky" and I'm sorry if this is hijacking someone else's thread.

OP, you are a stud for confronting your problem head on and getting it taken care of by a licensed professional. I wish you nothing but the absolute best and truly hope you find relief.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic