Your Email Address:

First Name:

Drinking baking soda to "alkalize" our bodies....

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
thissux
Advanced

Drinking baking soda to "alkalize" our bodies....

Post by thissux »

Hello everyone,

Newbie here - a friend of mine advised me I may need to alkalize my body (hence the reflux etc.) and that she does this by drinking baking soda. Not much, she does maybe a teaspoon a day. Well I tried a teaspoon and I'm not sure if this did it or if I was just having a "better" day. I did not get a reaction at the grocery store and not right away on the bus. Does this have any merrit? If it does work, can we carry a bottle of water around mixed with baking soda and just sip on it? They do sell baking soda gum online, you have to look for it. I saw an older thread where Jimi tried it and it worked for even a little bit. Is this safe to do? Are our bodies to acidic?
When I was a younger woman I was plagued with vaginal infections...embarassing yes, but this still is much worse. ANYHOW...this went on for 15 or so years, I was miserable. Loaded up on antibiotics. You know what? I started taking probiotics for a few years. I can say I have not since had an infection like this (bacterial no less) since I did that. It took awhile for my body to balance, but it worked. I am a firm believer in the power of probiotics.
Now for todays stinking problem, the breath. Oh how I loathe this. It has to be an imbalance causing anerobic bacteria to win. If you compare this issue to a vaginal issue (lets say B.V.) they seem similar, in a vaginal environment, you wish to be more acidic, if you are alkaline, you've got a problem. So the mouth is reverse. Has anyone tried PH test kits here to see what kind of environment your mouth is harboring? If it is too low PH I imagine it would do the same as a vagina that is too high PH, have infection and nasty bacteria. My OBGyn stuck it out with me and used to tell me it was not my fault, that I was just dealt a bad deck. No I wasn't....I just had to make it hospitable for the good guys to win....and you know what? I did! She was impressed.
Could this be hormonal for us women???
For now can I drink baking soda when I go places? Is this safe?
Also - please tell me, could this be a very rotten bad crown that has a root canal? Iknow I've got a bad one.
Thanks all! thissux

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Aydinmur has already told us that there's nothing we can do to alter our "systemic" pH levels, but perhaps by taking things like baking soda or probiotics, we can bring beneficial fluctuations in our mouth or throat or intestines that somehow manage to be far reaching enough to also affect places like the vagina too, especially if applied directly, like some women do with yoghurt for example.

Testing the pH in your mouth might show a low pH if you have esophegal reflux. It might show strange results if you have bacterial overactivity for whatever reason. That doesn't mean to say it has anything to do with having an "acidic" body or "alkaline" body - that's just pseudo science. If your blood pH fluctuates by even the tiniest amount, you'll become seriously ill. The body controls these things very precisely.

If baking soda helps you it's likely to be because it's having a direct beneficial effect on your oral environment, or it may be because you have reflux and this is helping reduce the acidity of your stomach (and ultimately your mouth if you have reflux issues)

If you think you may have a faulty crown, then have a read of this:-

"I have been struggling with bad breath for over 15 years. I have tried gum mints, Therabreath, Biotene. I had my tonsils taken out. I've gone to ENT's, Gastro Docs, General Practioners, Chiropracters, Reflexologists, and plenty of Dentists.

The dentists tell me it's acid reflex, the gastro docs sent me back to the dentists. Everyone blamed it on Post nasal drip. I've bought nasal irrigation systems; I should own stock in Trident; I've traveled to Chicago and was considering going to California. In short, I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars and countless hours trying to figure this out.

Finally, after someone offered me another piece of gum (don't you love when people do that) on Sunday, I was back to square one with worry, anxiety humiliation, and embarassment.

On Monday, I looked up crowns and halitosis. I got a crown placed on my tooth back in 1992. Guess what? There were stories of people with cracked crowns, cracked teeth under crowns, and BAD BREATH.

Tuesday - yesterday - I saw a NEW dentist. I told him I want the crown and tooth removed. I was sent downstairs to an oral surgeon.

He took it out and sent me home. I called back and asked the condition of the tooth. It was decayed and cracked. My breath had been described as "it's like something crawled up there and died," Well, my tooth was dead.

Years of embarassment, thousands of dollars, multiple visits to ENT's, Gastro doctor, Dentists, etc. Told to drink water, scrape tongue, floss, take acid reflux drugs, etc.

And NO ONE thought to ask, "How long has that crown been on?" I asked a dentist earlier this year about the crown being the source of my bad breath. She tapped it and said no, it was on there securely.

I am going to write to every single one of these doctors so they can possibly help someone else. This may not be your problem or a common problem but it was MY problem. I can't believe NO ONE thought of this before.

I am convinced that you are the most important person as regards to your life. I hope no one else has to go through what I have gone through.

Please, keep searching. Your answer is out there. I wish you the best of luck and hope that these message boards will do for us what no doctor has the time to do."
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Hi Halitosisux,

Thank for for sending that. There is always hope, there must be or this will drive me crazy. It is so offending, my breath, from yards back on some days. The docs say I have LPR reflux - this was an ENT doc with a scope down my nose. The GI doc said also poss gastritis (I believe that is where my stomach is making all of this noise and my food is not digesting properly, which it is not). The prilosec (omenprazole) does not do too much to stop this, it may help to some degree, but it doesn't stop. Bile reflux a possibility? I do not know, have not been tested. Trying to get medical coverage now - difficult. Does reflux disease alone cause room filling stench 24/7?

Or is one bad tooth just playing off of the refluxed acid? Could the acid be coming up into the mouth that already has a bacterial imbalance due to lets say wisdom teeth or faulty restorations and exhasperating a problem that is already thee (occassional bb, non room filling) and causing it to become superman? I did have occasional bad breath, but it was not choking, eye watering, room filling prior to the reflux and stomach problems. That crown has been trouble from the start, It had an older one on I think, had to them root canal it and get a new crown, the stub was too short and this was my Dad's cheap dentist. He put two on in a matter of two weeks and both literally shattered when I was eating. Now this one always has the highest degree of smell upon flossing, if you are going to find smell on your floss, this is the location. It traps food. It also has a gap that you can stick your fingernail down into so to speak, like a ledge with a gully. Now could this thing be rotting inside, as I have no root there is no pain, however can become highly sensitive in the gum area there with my electric toothbrush, that hurts badly at times. It sounds reasonable to me. Anyone else? Now I did just get dental coverage. Thank God.
I want to get well, so I can join my friends, go to the beach like the beach bunny I have always been. Go to the gym. Say hello to people I meet. I pray each day and I say "God I am healthy and I am well".
Halitosisux - thank you for sharing that about the guy and his crown. I want it pulled. One dentist does not want to pull it....he wants to SAVE it. I understand, I have lovely teeth at a glance, but if it comes to better breath, I'd yank it right out and worry about my looks later. It is a mollar, but not a wisdom tooth.
So halitosisux - I hear you were cured via extraction of one wisdom tooth. Are you still well? Can you tell me more about that? Was there odor from that region moreso than the others? When did you know it had worked and how long did it take to give results? This tooth has to go. There is pain in the gum sometimes, not the tooth though as no root. There is no pus or visible abcess. I just always pull out food from that area with floss and it is the one with the major smell if I find an odor.
Please let me know and wishing you all the best, thissux
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, I don't know what room filling BB is like, I've never come across anyone with BB whose stench extends further than a couple of feet or so, let alone fill a room.

That doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist, because severe TMAU can be a house-filler, but these severe types of TMAU usually involve body odour as the main issue and it may be for these reasons that the odour becomes so powerful, and not necessarily from what comes out of the lungs or saliva etc.

Reflux can cause a bad ecology in the mouth and throat, that can cause odour. It can also lead to tissue irritation and sinus problems resulting in excessive PND. It can also erode the teeth and perhaps lead to gum problems or tooth decay - both of which can lead to BB.

Good point, about reflux exacerbating an existing situation causing BB - that's a real possibility.

I think it's always a good idea to get several opinions if you can. I would never rely on one doctor or dentist's opinion. I went for years having crossed off dental causes, after 2 different dentists assured me that I had nothing wrong in my mouth that could cause BB. I discovered my problem by pure chance for myself.

I'm fairly confident I don't have a breath problem anymore. Something major changed immediately once that particular wisdom tooth came out and my mouth now no longer feels like it's undergoing decomposition within 30 mins of brushing my teeth. But it's very hard to get out of certain habits which are ingrained in me since early childhood bullying about having BB, and generally having a low self-image and self-worth etc. Yes, the gum around that tooth absolutely stunk if I rubbed it with a finger.

I still have fears about odour and I still think about BB and want to learn about it and ensure I know as much as possible, just incase.

I still feel there is so much basic stuff we still don't fully understand about, like what a tongue coating is actually made of and why it changes like it has a mind of it's own and why some people have a clean looking pink tongue and others have a skanky looking coating.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

I used to work with an IT guy that had the worst room filling BB ever. Heck of a guy, got employee of the year each year. Had a lovely wife and kids. But wow it was bad, not every time, but when it was on, it was bad. Smart, kind and helpful he was. At that time I think I had ocassional BB. Now it seems very, very bad. If I had it sometimes then, could it be this nasty crown and now it has amped it up? My teeth are quite pretty. I am good at flossing etc. Heck, I went to school for dental assistant. Is it hormonal? If yes, God please give me menopause and rid me of this.
What do you think Halitosisux? Thank you for staying on this board, giving hope where it is so badly needed. You are a Godsend. Should I insist on pulling this thing (crown)? I want it gone. If reflux doesn't cause BB in everyone, then it must be oral differences. Should I keep drinking my baking soda? Am I still pretty and fun? I don't know. I do not know if I have BO also. My ex used to love my smell. I do not know if my skin has changed but I sweat more now. Liver function says ok. No hiatal hernia. The crap on my tongue is thick and nasty. Can that come from one bad tooth?? All the best, thissux
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Drinking baking soda with lemon has helped me to some extent. It reduced my bb, but never got rid of bb completely. I am not comfortable drinking baking soda everyday, so I stopped.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

thissux, thanks for saying such nice things.

I was near a lady in a supermarket a few days ago, she was stacking shelves and I asked her if she could find something for me. She was fairly overweight, and seemed like she was perspiring a lot. I could smell a strong fecal smell coming from her. It was like she'd trodden in something. It wasn't overwhelming though, and I didn't react at all and as soon as I stepped back I could no longer smell anything and there was no lingering odour. She didn't look dirty, but it may just have been that she wasn't very hygienic. God knows. She certainly didn't seem aware or bothered. I didn't get any direct hits of her breath and I'm sure it was coming from her body. It's strange but whenever I hear people talking about BO on another person, I'm never able to detect anything. Yet it's happened before where I'm able to smell odour on another person and others can't. weird.

I think hormonal imbalance could definitely be a factor in many cases, and certainly if a person happens to have borderline TMAU or other similar causes of BB/BO that relate to digestion and body chemicals. There's a fairly recent thread on this forum of a member being cured of decades-long BB following a hysterectomy (I believe it was a hysterectomy?) which may be of interest to you.

Regarding that crown, the only sure way to know is to have the tooth removed, but could it be worth having the crown replaced first?
I remember reading about a new spray that's been developed that can identify any teeth which are producing odour - might be worth asking your dentist about.

Reflex certainly doesn't cause BB in everyone, but there's different types of reflux and it may be that only the "silent" type of reflux causes BB, or the type that affects the mucous membranes of the nasal cavities.

You could try rinsing your mouth and throat out with baking soda. That would help you to know whether the improvements are because you are simply increasing the pH in your mouth, and it wont cause any harm to keep doing this if it helps, whereas swallowing baking soda might do.

Tongue coatings confuse the hell out of me. I think that coatings are not just one thing, but mainly the combination of dead cells that continuously slough away and microbial plaque/biofilm (like the plaque on tooth surfaces). This explains why some people can have visible white coating and no bad breath (because in their case it's mostly just the dead cells). If a person has an area such as a tooth or gum or nasal discharge where that stench finds it's way into the mouth, then that stench will concentrate on the tongue and make it smell. Nearby infections may also trigger the bacteria present on the tongue to go into a frenzy of overactivity. So, in answer to your question, I think infection which can "communicate" with the tongue surface, i.e. tooth/gum or nasal infection, can lead to more bacterial activity there, and subsequently lead to abnormally thicker coating, and of course, bad breath.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

halitosisux wrote:thissux, thanks for saying such nice things.

I was near a lady in a supermarket a few days ago, she was stacking shelves and I asked her if she could find something for me. She was fairly overweight, and seemed like she was perspiring a lot. I could smell a strong fecal smell coming from her. It was like she'd trodden in something. It wasn't overwhelming though, and I didn't react at all and as soon as I stepped back I could no longer smell anything and there was no lingering odour. She didn't look dirty, but it may just have been that she wasn't very hygienic. God knows. She certainly didn't seem aware or bothered. I didn't get any direct hits of her breath and I'm sure it was coming from her body. It's strange but whenever I hear people talking about BO on another person, I'm never able to detect anything. Yet it's happened before where I'm able to smell odour on another person and others can't. weird.

I think hormonal imbalance could definitely be a factor in many cases, and certainly if a person happens to have borderline TMAU or other similar causes of BB/BO that relate to digestion and body chemicals. There's a fairly recent thread on this forum of a member being cured of decades-long BB following a hysterectomy (I believe it was a hysterectomy?) which may be of interest to you.

Regarding that crown, the only sure way to know is to have the tooth removed, but could it be worth having the crown replaced first?
I remember reading about a new spray that's been developed that can identify any teeth which are producing odour - might be worth asking your dentist about.

Reflex certainly doesn't cause BB in everyone, but there's different types of reflux and it may be that only the "silent" type of reflux causes BB, or the type that affects the mucous membranes of the nasal cavities.

You could try rinsing your mouth and throat out with baking soda. That would help you to know whether the improvements are because you are simply increasing the pH in your mouth, and it wont cause any harm to keep doing this if it helps, whereas swallowing baking soda might do.

Tongue coatings confuse the hell out of me. I think that coatings are not just one thing, but mainly the combination of dead cells that continuously slough away and microbial plaque/biofilm (like the plaque on tooth surfaces). This explains why some people can have visible white coating and no bad breath (because in their case it's mostly just the dead cells). If a person has an area such as a tooth or gum or nasal discharge where that stench finds it's way into the mouth, then that stench will concentrate on the tongue and make it smell. Nearby infections may also trigger the bacteria present on the tongue to go into a frenzy of overactivity. So, in answer to your question, I think infection which can "communicate" with the tongue surface, i.e. tooth/gum or nasal infection, can lead to more bacterial activity there, and subsequently lead to abnormally thicker coating, and of course, bad breath.
But why do the coatings come and go?? I've had a rough looking tongue for the past two or 3 weeks,.. it has to be something activating it. The coating can not be removed.. It's not simply a coating, but maybe the presence of bacteria or fungus, that mutate the tongues surface.

I'm struggling here... I can't say with any certainty where my BB comes from. Throat, bowels, sinuses,.. They're all fucked up.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, if you scrape or brush your tongue, I think it causes the tongue papillae to harden and swell. I think it was dolittle who used a term of "kerotinized", I assume to describe this thickening. I'm also assuming that kerotinized refers to kerotin (component of our nails and hair). I don't know why the tongue would have evolved to have the ability to make the papillae harden in this way, but perhaps it's an evolved response to preserve the bacterial breeding ground that under normal circumstances is so important to have there, from variations in the different types of food we eat, perhaps.

Most people with bad breath discover, either from research or by chance for themselves, that their tongue is usually where odour seems to build up. They then start scraping it and to begin with there's usually vast improvement. But all this really does is start off a vicious circle because as the papillae thicken, it creates more area for the types of anerobic bacteria that are responsible for producing odour, and you end up with no less bad breath than you had in the first place, perhaps even more. The tongue then has a coating that's virtually impossible to scrape off.

And then there's variations in actual bacterial activity, responsible for the biofilm which forms on the tongue, adding to the visible layer of coating, which could be affected by a whole range of different bodily functions.

I wish I could be more helpful. Your BB is so baffling and what you really need is an expert like Aydinmur or dolittle to find out at least where your odour is coming from, so that you can narrow it down and really know where to focus on getting some kind of eventual diagnosis. There has to be an explanation for every case of BB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic