Your Email Address:

First Name:

Going gluten free and living with other people

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
jess
Sheriff

Going gluten free and living with other people

Post by jess »

Has anyone here done the gluten free diet while living with other people who eat gluten? Please share your experience.

I'm so determined to eat gluten free now for at least three months or so, but it's so hard doing it because I read that gluten free food can easily get contaminated by other products containing gluten. I trully wish I was living by myself cause it would've been so much easier to completely adhere to the diet

mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

You should at least get started on it.

Surely you'll notice some difference when eating your meals which may have a slight contaminant, compared to when consuming a block of gluten every day in the form of bread.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

I am so happy I went gluten free. Whole wheat breads made my breath the worst it could be. One time I stunk up a 1600 square foot office with bad breath after eating a whole loaf of whole wheat bread.
jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

Mike,
I agree with you. I've actually started it couple days ago.

Brad123,
Can you please share more of your experience with the diet. How long have you been on it? Is your whole household eating gluten free, or is it just you? How do you deal with eating out in restaurants and in family functions? Do you still suffer from bb even with the diet?, etc. Thanks so much for sharing
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

jess wrote: Brad123,
Can you please share more of your experience with the diet. How long have you been on it? Is your whole household eating gluten free, or is it just you? How do you deal with eating out in restaurants and in family functions? Do you still suffer from bb even with the diet?, etc. Thanks so much for sharing
I have been gluten free for 7 months now.

I live by myself, so it makes it easy for me to be gluten-free.

I don't eat out at restaurants unless it is a family function. I just pick out the non-gluten foods at the family function. They think I am strange for doing this. I just tell them I have an allergy to it.

I have not thought about cross-contamination with other foods. Maybe it is something I should think about.

When I used to eat gluten foods, I had another type of bad breath odor. It was a fruity smell. It was not a fart smell. It seemed to travel by my nose mostly but with some mouth odor too. My house and the office would have this smell. I suffered with this type of bad breath for many years, until I figured out it was caused from eating gluten.
jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

thnx for ur input
potty_mouth
Junior

Post by potty_mouth »

I have heard about (and now found) at least one study that suggests that gluten sensitive people are more likely to have dairy sensitivity too:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810502/
I would try to cut out dairy as well as gluten. I am currently doing this and trying to drink green vegetable juice every day. It's not easy.
I share with one other guy, but I don't worry about contamination on the plates / cookware. If it's been washed it will be fine. People with nut allergies eat at restaurants that have had nutty foods on all the plates at some time I assume.
jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

I honestly wish I was living by myself right now or living with people who only ate gluten free food; that would've made things so much eaisier for me. It's so hard trying to completely eliminate gluten from my diet when everybody else in my household is indulging in it every day. But I'm determined I'm gonna do everything I can to reduce as much of it as possible. I have a good feelingg about this gluten free diet and I wanna try doing it for at least 3 months.
Lavender
Post by Lavender »

Dear friends stop making excuses. Get to work if you really want to be BB free.
Last edited by Lavender on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lavender
gluten free for a year

Post by Lavender »

I have been gluten, diary, sugar free and a vegetarian diet for almost a year now. I have lost about 30lb weight in the last one year. But my bad breath has reduced tremendously. Earlier the whole place would stink whenever I opened my mouth, but now I can talk to a person without worrying about the smell.

In addition to diet I also had Nystastin for about 3 months and took antibiotics once every 2-3 months. This was to ward off opportunistic infections i.e. bacterial and fungal infections which I feel were because of my reduced immunity due to gluten allergy. (I have been tested negative for celiac disease and also for H.pylori infection).

I am sure many of you tried to go gluten free without much success. Gluten free diet is definitely the key but without getting rid of the opportunistic infection (due to low immunity) gluten free diet is a waste.

Our body has been badly affected by gluten diet over the years which has reduced our immunity. How can we expect to recover within weeks of going gluten free?

So dear friends do not look for instant cure. Understand your body, your system and give it some time to heal.

And yes I live with my family and none of them are on gluten free diet. But I make it a point to cook gluten free food for myself in addition normal gluten food for my family.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic