Your Email Address:

First Name:

How to get a 100% accurate breath test - please help

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
thissux
Advanced

How to get a 100% accurate breath test - please help

Post by thissux »

I have posted before several times lately. All friends and family saying I don't have bad breath. Frequent, but not always nose rubs. I have asked people from the bottom of my heart, those I trust and they say no. Went out on a date and guy wanted to kiss me, again on second date. I was reluctant - thinking he just wants to sleep with me and that is it. He says no smell what so ever. I have been told in the past I had bad breath on occassion. I am currently treated for LPR reflux with Prilosec. I am now not working. My mom said she would like to help me to find out once and for all if I have it. What test do I need? Do I need to also ask a child (without planting the seed in their head, just see what they say). I am trying to get in touch with my best friend from 4th grade (I am now 41) and we keep playing phone tag. Where can I get a reliable test? Why when I talk to people sometimes do they scratch their nose and kind of look at me? My mouth tastes nasty most times. If I have asked 40 people and they all say no after putting their nose in my mouth, also breathing in nose air - what does this mean? Should I go to a new dentist and just ask? I know I had occassional bb before but not anything that would cause nose rubbing. Am I just halitophobic? I need help. How can someone inhale my bad breath (what I think I have ) five times in a row and smile and say "nothing". What is the gold standard test? Thanks all

mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

You're halitophobic and seemingly nothing else.

Sometimes people do have BB. if you're always looking for that moment, while you're stressed out and likely having dry mouth, you'll probably get what you want to hear.

If you are always looking at people and their noses with a face that shows you are uncomfortable, they're probably going to start acting odd around you too. Count your blessings and get over it. A nose touch is not unusual in the least.

Why don't you chew a piece of gum and see if you can get good reactions? If your BB is chronic, the gum won't last long or help at all.
needcurefast
Crybaby

Post by needcurefast »

Yea your halitophobic. If u had a date with a guy and he's not making faces or backing up then you don't have it or its undetectable, if I was you I'll calm down your Bb doesnt seem that bad compared to the ppl on here. It looks like you should just eat plain yogurt with probiotic for six months and stay away from dairy products, it will be gone before you know it. Why I say this, because maybe you not chronic maybe its occasionally, only frequent. So catch yours before it does become chronic.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

i don't know about that... i once dated a guy who had bb. it was not room filling or anything like that, but was definitely noticeable when we kissed or if he was close to me. he was aware of his bb as well and one day, he asked me if his breath was bad even though he had just brushed his teeth. i told him it wasn't because it was hard to admit the truth. in hindsight, i see how that was not helpful to him.. but it's that issue many people on here have discussed about people close to you not admitting you have bb. there is that much stigma around it that even someone with bb (myself) wasn't able to admit it to someone else with bb when they asked me. :(

one interesting thing i remember is that even though he had bb, when kissing, i would only notice it some of the time (during the same kissing session). not sure why that is.. maybe because his mouth was on mine that i couldn't actually inhale his breath? so, it was surprisingly not as bad kissing someone with bb as it was to have him talking to me at close range.

also, thissux says they can taste something unpleasant in their mouth.. doesn't it mean that their breath likely stinks too? i don't think this is all just halitophobia. however, 40 people saying no is an awful lot.

you can try to find a dentist that has a machine called a halimeter. it can test the level of VSCs (volatile sulfur compounds) in your mouth. there is also the oral chroma.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21160219
time4change
Junior

Post by time4change »

I really wish I had someone who could give their honest opinion, it is so hard sometimes to know how bad your own bb is. My sense of smell has become terrible in the last few years I can't smell much, dentist said he's never smelt bb on me, yet other people have told me to brush my teeth and I get constant signals off people as well as a horrible taste in my mouth.

I've not yet found a dentist with a halimeter, except for bb clinics (one called Fresh Breath clinic), but appointments look expensive and they seem to only give mouthwashes and things which don't really help. I think going for a check with the halimeter would be my reason for going rather than a cure.

I think asking a child is a good idea, I've been asking mine lately but he says it stinks after I've been smoking which is nearly all the time. I asked him today before I smoked and he said it didn't smell, but that could be cos he thinks that's the answer I want to hear, or he could be used to the smell. So confusing, hope you find someone you can trust to be 100% honest
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Actually if you must ask a child, rather than just speak closely and gauge the reaction (it should be a full on nose hold or face cup), you should ask 'Does my breath smell good?'

You don't want to implant answers in their brain. Not to mention, most kids will probably think healthy adult breath smells anyway. You know how kids are.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
time4change
Junior

Post by time4change »

Stankie wrote:
time4change wrote:before I smoked
. . . . . Seriously?

You are a cigarette smoker and wonder why your breath smells???
Seriously you have bad breath and you are that ignorant??

I come on here for support not for criticism, and if you had bothered to read any of my previous posts you would know that I had bb long before I started smoking, yet the taste in my mouth is so bad I prefer the taste of smoke.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Thanks all of you. I am trying to meet up with my best friend today. She says she will do it, she hopes the awnser is no. I can tell she is nervous about it as well because she wants so much for the awnser to be no bad breath. I have digestive problems and apparently acid reflux, I take prilosec for it but it seems like that makes it hard to digest food. The day before yesterday I had almost no reactions. I ate some turkey and had some reactions yesterday. I asked three strangers, two from grocery store and one woman from liquior store - woman from liquior store said no, nothing, though she did a slight nose rub. She said that I asked which meant I wanted to know and that she would tell me. She said flat out no. I think I am room filling, 20 feet away type of issue. Yet all of these people will get into my face and breathe in through their nose from my mouth repeatedly and say they could talk to me all day. When I was actively drinking my family doc said he could smell my breath as did the psyc doc at the detox unit. Could that have just been from the alcohol and my inflammed liver? The women in the treatment center all sat with me and said "why would we lie to you"? I told them because they would not want to hurt my feelings. Many of these women have been in jail and prision and I would think would tell you, yet they are stilll sensitive people too. Another girl there had moderate bad breath, could smell from two people away and I didn't see anyone rub their nose around her? My old sponsor said it didn't smell when we talked at the same time checking his own breath. Did I make him paranoid about his own breath? He told me he would tell me if it smelled. The guy I went on a date with kissed me on two occassions and wants to go further, though I think he is just very into sex. He is an ex cop and doesn't hold back on much when he talks to you. Who do you trust? If my breath stinks so bad from reflux (absolutely terrible), how can people put their nose in my mouth and smell hard? I said hi to a little boy, he did not cover or touch his nose but just looked down like he was shy. He said hi.
How often do people rub their noses? Why around me? I have read up on how many times people touch their face, which is alot. Does anyone have this info? Also, does anyone live in Orlando FL area for a meet up???? I need help. I am paranoid and feel almost crazy because no one will tell me or I feel like everyone is lying. Also, smokers breath stinks but not enough to cause nose rubbing or the like in my opinion. If someone asked me if their breath stunk I believe I would tell them if they wanted an honest awnser. Why is it so hard? Thanks all!
time4change
Junior

Post by time4change »

In my opinion blaming bad breath on smoking is a cop out used regularly by doctors and dentists, and we are all here because our condition is not a case of 'brush your teeth more and dont smoke and you'll be cured'.

We should've helping each other not making uneducated diagnosis of other people's bb, and then being rude about it. I am not here to argue, I'm a grown woman, not in this with you and don't air my arguments out for the world to see. If you wish to speak to me you are more than welcome to send me a pm.
time4change
Junior

Post by time4change »

Thissux, hopefully your friend will give you an honest answer. I often watch other people converse and people rub their nose a lot. I think the main thing is to ask really casually cos if people think you are really bothered they might just lie so they don't upset you.
Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

Stankie wrote:
. . . . . Seriously?

Now I'm asking you: Seriously?!?!?!
Jesus, in what time do I live!!
Just a little note, I smoked before i got this shit in my life and never had bb anyway, so i doubt smoking has something to do with that, and yeah 90% people I know, they smoke AND GUESS WHAT? They don't have bb, Shocking ha?
Please behave yourself.
needcurefast
Crybaby

Post by needcurefast »

Sickandtired wrote:
Stankie wrote:
. . . . . Seriously?

Now I'm asking you: Seriously?!?!?!
Jesus, in what time do I live!!
Just a little note, I smoked before i got this shit in my life and never had bb anyway, so i doubt smoking has something to do with that, and yeah 90% people I know, they smoke AND GUESS WHAT? They don't have bb, Shocking ha?
Please behave yourself.
Actually I agree with stankie. Most people don't have bad breath because of the things you consume. However, after catching chronic bb, continue to consume things that feeds your bb its not a good idea.

Here's a list of things that doesnt necessarily causes BB, but keep consuming after you caught bb, your bb will continue to exist.
1. Redmeat and eggs
2. Dairy Products
3. Smoking
4. Beans
5. Commercial toothpaste and commercial mouthwash.
6. Too much sugar
7. Alcohol
Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

Ok, let me share my experience.
I stopped smoking for a period of time after my tonsilectomy. -No improvement at all.
Redmeat and eggs, dairy, sugar etc.- few times i changed my diet and my BB situation haven't change a bit. Right now I'm on different diet and still, everything is the same.
Alcohol- while consuming it, my BB gets better.
Everyone situation is not the the same after all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic