Your Email Address:

First Name:

im confused does removing your tonsils make bb better?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Stankie,

I went to my general practitioner just 2 days ago to get a blood test, she said she's going to test my sugar levels, liver functions, kidney functions, and many other stuff that I can't remember.
Also, Stankie, I tried your method of using your index finger to locate the tonsils, then move the finger in an upward motion. I never thought I had tonsil stones before because I could never see my tonsils (they are miniscule). So when I took my finger out, there were small white stones on my finger and I smelt it and I realised it smells kind of like blood (but not really), it did smell bad. so I did that a couple of times (used finger on tonsils), I gargled ferociously, and hucked and spit into the sink for a few minutes. I did this until my finger didn't smell anymore when I rubbed it all over the tonsils.
Anyway, what i'd like to ask is that do you think the smell of the tonsil stones is reminiscent of some people's (those that don't have chronic bb and still have friends) bad breath? I ask this because sometimes i'd talk to someone whose breath smells like blood, but of course it's not blood, it's the smell of tonsil stones (even if their tonsils aren't engorged).
Thank you.

flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

It smells similar to blood or raw red meat.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

KeepFaith,

I'd suggest you try to remove the stones using your fingers first.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Tonsil stones smell like horse shit mixed with mothballs. They don't smell much until you crush them. Their texture once crushed is kind of gritty, like a lump of salty parmesan cheese. Before crushing they're usually covered in a slimy slippery layer. There's no confusing a tonsil genuine tonsil stone with food debris or any other debris. Teeth which can trap debris can also have a buildup of very similar smelling material - which is probably the same thing. Tonsil stones may have nothing to do with the functioning of the tonsils or lymphatic system, and just happen to occur because of their location and the fact that tonsils are like separate little laboratories of the body where bacteria and viruses etc can be sampled for the body to stay one step ahead of them before they try to attack the rest of the body, evolved to allow such activity to occur inside them. Unfortunately, certain factors like nearby chronic disease condition or simple PND can defeat their original purpose and you end up with these big calcified clumps in there.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Yeah, ever since I found tonsil stones yesterday with my finger (from my left tonsils) I've become paranoid. I've been feeling like I still have a lump there even though I have gargled the tonsils area with salt water (sea salt mixed in warm water) last night and this morning. I also checked it with cotton swabs. It is so difficult to see within those crevices so I'm thinking of buying a magnifying mirror and a (battery operated or led operated) torch. I was watching tonsil stones removal on youtube, and there was this guy who had similar sized tonsils as me (small tonsils that do not show stones when the mouth is wide open), the magnifying camera is inserted into his mouth and the dentist is using this small tool to open the flaps/crypts of the tonsils and there were huge tonsil stones within those crypts. So I have been trying to open those crypts to see and remove all the stones that I can. Also, whenever I rub my finger all over my tonsils and around the crypts, I take it out and I can smell the same smell that I used to smell on my tongue (prior to going on an alkaline diet). Does that mean I have tonsil stones breath?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Do you not have this odour anymore since you've been on this special diet?

If so, how long have you managed to sustain this?

I still think tonsil stones are a result of crap from the tongue scraping past the tonsil crypts openings and this crap slowly building up in them, because exactly the same thing happens with tooth crevices and it smells almost identical to tonsil stones.

If your diet is somehow able to reduce the bacterial activity in your mouth and reduce the production of the bad smelling chemicals on your tongue, you might find that if you can manage to clean out your tonsils, they'll no longer fill with stones.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Halitosisux,

In regards to your questions:
Do you not have this odour anymore since you've been on this special diet?
I don't have the odour on my tongue anymore when I do the finger-tongue smell test. On Thursday last week, when I was doing group work in this tutorial class, and I was contributing as much as I can (because I hate slackers and don't want to be a slacker) and I noticed that nobody was putting their hands to their noses (like the week before in that same tutorial class) and I also noticed that the taste in my mouth didn't taste bad anymore (I noticed this as a consequence of noticing that no one was reacting to my breath). So, I went into the bathroom after class and did the finger-tongue smelling test and I found that it didn't smell bad; it smells a bit like water mixed in with some other things (it just didn't smell bad).

If so, how long have you managed to sustain this?
Friday was good Friday, so I had no school that day, then we (students at this uni) get a week off for holiday (which is this week). During this week, I noticed that my saliva doesn't taste bad. However, it did taste bad after I eat raw cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, garlic, onion, or spring onions. Currently it's been about a week now since I've managed to sustain this non-bad taste in my mouth. Nonetheless, I am still sceptical about whether I have bad breath or not since I was not able to continue to test my breath out on my fellow classmates this week, but next week I plan to talk a lot, talk into people's faces, and try to make friends to see if I get rejected or not.

You said: "If your diet is somehow able to reduce the bacterial activity in your mouth and reduce the production of the bad smelling chemicals on your tongue, you might find that if you can manage to clean out your tonsils, they'll no longer fill with stones."
How do I clean out my tonsils effectively, could you give me some strategies?

Also, there was this person I talked to who told me that he asked his mum to do the finger-tongue smelling test and he said that he smelt his mother's tongue (finger) and it smelt like faeces. However, he says that she does not have bad breath. What do you think about this Halitosusux?

Thank you Halitosisux.

Post by Born To Suffer »

@keepfaith, just get a CT Scan of your nose. I have seen bugs come out of my nose by doing the netipot rinse. It's really useful, try it.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi flavouredpig,

I'm not sure how valid or reliable the finger-tongue test or odour of our saliva really is for gauging breath. Dr. Aydinmur says it tells us nothing. I believe this because every chemical/compound has unique chemical and consequent odour characteristics and what we may assume about a chemical's odour on the end of a finger, is unlikely to have anything to do with the reality of what someone else can smell from us.

Take a big block of smelly cheese for example. That block could sit on a table and you wouldn't even know it was there if you couldn't see it. But rub it with a finger and it will give you a very stinky finger of lingering odour. Then there are some chemicals which don't smell much if you put your nose next to them, but yet they'll stink a room out.

The volatility of a chemical it's tendency to vaporize and become a gas. It's all to do with molecules and atoms and temperature and pressure (atmospheric pressure in our case).

Our noses can determine different chemicals by sensing their molecules. Basically, we're gas molecule detectors.

And this is where the confusions and madness of bad breath probably come into it all. Our noses and mouth are in very close proximity. If we smell a concentrated odour of something bad from our mouth, our logic makes us believe that our breath must correlate with the intensity and concentration of how we've perceived that smell to be, no matter what.

When a person really does have bad breath caused by the bacterial activity on and around their tongue, a lick/finger-tongue test, is likely to leave a certain stink on the finger. BUT, a person might also have a certain stink with a finger-tongue test and have NO BB, depending on what's actually going on in the mouth and what chemicals are being produced on there.

So, as a guide, if you don't smell anything with the finger-tongue test, then all that can tell you is that your tongue is unlikely to have anything to do with any bad breath you are assuming to have. If it does smell, then it *might* be contributing to any bad breath you're assuming to have.

Conquering this BEAST is all about trial and error and ruling out as much as you can. Keep an open mind on every possibility until it's been properly ruled out.

Going from a smelly tongue to a sustainably clean tongue is a great achievement. I don't know what an alkaline diet is. It may simply be altering the ecology in your mouth and throat resulting in less bacterial activity there. There may be more to it of course.

I spent a few years cleaning tonsil stones out until I had a tonsillectomy, which completely eradicated them. When I first discovered them, I used a pair of curved nail scissors to just pluck them out. The first time I discovered where they were coming from it took me hours to clean them out. Another (safer) method is to use a cotton bud. Some people have managed to use water irrigators. I never had one back then, but if you can manage to avoid gagging with one, then I would guess they'd be the most effective way. You could try a syringe. I believe there's a sucking type syringe available for sucking out stones which is meant to be quite effective. I don't think tonsil stones contribute in any way to bad breath unless there's a huge one trapped in there. That doesn't mean to say that it's not all connected in some way though. My surgeon told me after that my tonsils were packed with stones, yet I'd cleaned them out the night before! Tonsillectomy didn't make the slightest different for me. This appears to be the consensus on here for others who've had a tonsillectomy.

Your friend's mum finger-tongue test is interesting. Right now, my tongue and saliva smell of nothing. I've smelled saliva of people that smelled like vinegar, yet absolutely ZERO bad breath. I'm sure that for every reason we could ever use to convince ourselves we must have bad breath, we have the potential to be completely wrong about all of them.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Stankie wrote:I disagree. My left one used to produce infinite numbers of large, foul, dark yellow stones. Since I cleaned out my gut a bit, it stopped.....Now only my right one produces. I don't see how my tongue could be so smart to only pack junk into one of them?
I don't know how my right one could be the only one collecting this now. Tonsil stones are not 'mouth junk', they are a mixture of bacteria, wastes, and white blood cells. The same thing happens in pockets in your gum because of biology and the bodily immune/defense systems.
Stankie, in my case my right tonsil produced the most stones. Big ones too, corn sized ones would sometimes just fling into my throat at random - this was before I realized where they came from and started cleaning them out. Thank god none ever flew out onto anyone!

I've got my reasons why I believe my right side was the worst for stones and general smell. It may just be coincidental, but I attribute it entirely to the wisdom tooth situation I had on that side.

Other factors might be that my right nostril is always more blocked than my left due to a deviated septum. It's hard to tell but I have far more mucus production from my right side of my nose and maybe that effect extends all the way down onto the right side of my throat, affecting the right side more than my left. I also remember my right side tonsil having bigger crypts and more of them that I could see, so this might be a factor too why one side was more affected than the other.

Cleaning out your gut? How do you know it's actually any cleaner? What is clean when there's billions of bacteria around. Most of what comes out your rear end is dead bacteria (dead and alive), grown by the food you put down there. Different diets promote slightly different profiles of bacteria but mostly we all have the same species in the same proportions.

What you eat has just as much possibility of affecting your mouth health as it would your gut health, without them having to be linked in any way other than the actual food that ends up going through both and having the same beneficial effect.

Healthy diets are generally going to be diets that have plenty of vegetables, fruit, fibre etc which generally helps the passage of food through the digestive tract, resulting in healthier shit basically. And other than that, there's no other way of knowing the state of your digestive health.

I'm not disagreeing with you or anyone, I'm just balancing out what you say with what I think and what I've experienced, hoping it might help further understanding. You know far more than I do about most of this entire subject.
keepfaith

Post by keepfaith »

hi stinkie

ya im in the us...oh boy so i went to dr ...i hate talkin about my situation so i thought ok just do it...told her about my perisites in my nose and omg she said" what out of ur nose no way that cant happen" i went so hopefull and she shot me down...anyways lookd in my nose said swallon...tonsilles swollon and told her i had a sore throat and she said i got allariges...and gave me some meds...at this point il try anything..i might cause i do got nasial drip...i feel like i got so many symphoms how in the world am i goin to find a cure...so now im goin to try ent dr again...see if he sees anthing maybe he can help...
happylife05
Junior

Post by happylife05 »

Please don't remove tonsils through surgery unless doctor recommends it. Please try other options before you decide to get tonsils removed. Just my opinion. I had the surgery last year but, no use.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic