Your Email Address:

First Name:

Your views on post nasal drip.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
FedUp
God

Your views on post nasal drip.

Post by FedUp »

Do you guys think PND is actually a valid cause for BB?

I know a few people who have PND but never have BB or any problems.

I have PND although it varies. Even when it's non existent on some occasions people still complain of a smell around me.

I can sense/taste a shit smell at the area near the nasopharynx coincidentally enough the same kind of smell of the blowbacks I sometimes get. Now I know for certain that if I nose breathe I get really strong reactions off of people. Is it possible something around that area is infected? My breath is not as strong as my nasal odor 100%.

But back to the PND do you know anyone with PND and do they have BB? I bet they don't.

It sounds like my adenoids but I don't know. Definetly going to ask the ENT doctor when I next go.

Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

Smelly PND could be the result of an infection. Ever since I started nasal irrigation I noticed a lot of green-yellow-brown mucus. When I started with netipot water penetrated deeper and I started seeing black-grey stingy things. Man the mucus is so hard to get rid of, it just sticks to the stink and when it dries up it's even harder to remove.
My pnd is the result of a cyst growing in my cheek. Other factors could be a deviated septum or block holes in the nasal passage, which leads to stale pnd.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
noway
Junior

Post by noway »

Well, i have little notices may help you:

I know two brothers with acute PND, one of them has no BB at all, the other one suffers from PND and high sinus sensitivity, some times when the condition gets sever i smell BB and it goes very strong (2 meters distance and car filling), this condition attacks him about one or two times per year as maximum and he takes one week course of antibiotic and zinc and vitamin C, then it BB totally disappears for so long time (totally bb free even with so close distance), but he always aware of his breath i don't know why!
Both brothers have no nasal BB at all.

Generally, i know many ppl with totally white coated tongue and others with sever PND and they are BB free.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Do you guys have swollen lymph nodes on your jaw/neck?

I've been reading up that this means there's infection in the respiratory tract.

I've noticed a lot of people have white tongues but no BB.

That area of my adenoids does seem restricted as for breathing through nose.

I'm just confused right now as my letter said I had "minimal rhinitis".

aAHRAHRHDKGFNHGmn
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Fed Up,

Thank you for posting the top cut-away view. It appears to me that many of us have a problem (infection?) in the Oropharynx, somewhere between the Nasopharynx and the Laryngopharynx. It further appears to me that if that problem is above the Uvula it would produce a nasal odor and if the problem is below the Uvula it would be more likely to produce a mouth odor.

Does post nasal drip produce bad breath? Maybe not always, since some people have PND but no bad breath. However, it must be considered suspect, because what else would cause mucus to collect in the throat? And stale mucus has to be a bacteria factory. Some people may have enough antibacterial components in their saliva to counteract the mucus whereas we don't.

In my own case, I have noticed that I always seem to have a lot of mucus in my throat. I do my best to clear it out every morning and that diminishes my breath odor about 80 percent, so there must be a connection. Of course the mucus in my throat always builds up again and I don't know if it is coming from my sinuses, some part of my throat or from somewhere else.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open ... ost1911524

This story has inspired me. His sinus surgery fixed him.

Another interesting point, someone in the thread posted they irrigated there sinuses before going out and his breath got worse.

It struck a chord in me as I've been irrigating before going to work this week and I've had people looking at me funny. I'm gonna irrigate once at night now. But it seems to get worse when I Irrigate my sinuses??
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

Hey FedUp. What are the symptoms of PND? I have what feels like thick mucus at the back of my throat every now and again. It could be the nasopharynx as you say although I don't think I have a nasal odour. Sometimes when I breath in sharply through my nose, you know when you try to clear your nose of phlegm, it smells the same as my tonsil stones.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Sounds like you have PND to me.

When you hawk back and you can feel it all trapped between the sinus and throat. Also you can feel it all at the back and bottom of the throat. I find the bottom of the throat is hard to get out but when it finally does it's yellow and kind of lumpy to which then I can taste an eggy smell. Nasal discharge however is clear. I have PND all the live long day. A couple of weeks ago I had a cold and I was amazed because for a few days I was PND free. I mean the freedom and sensation was amazing. I was cycling and I am usually hacking out PND but my whole throat was PND free and it felt very light, However I don't know about my breath. My mouth always feels heavy.

I am going back and fourth about what is causing my BB and I am losing my mind. I still haven't had my CT scan results and I am due for an gastroscopy in 4 weeks time with a follow up to see a gastroenterologist so I feel somewhat good and optimistic at the moment.

But if you feel the lump in throat sensation then it's most likely PND however acid reflux can mimic that sensation.

If you don't have nasal odor you're very lucky, I could only wish to have mouth odor only. In my case my nasal odor is alot stronger than my breath odor. I can *just about* get through work without too much fuss if i stay away from people as much as possible and hold my breath in certain situations (just bullshit we have to go through).
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
MrChips
Advanced

Post by MrChips »

FedUp- I have nasal odour aswell. Do you think your odour has anything to do with your teeth?
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

It's possible. The member "Cured" cured his odor through wisdom extraction. I have one lower left wisdom half erupted and other two were coming through at the top (according to dentist).
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
MrChips
Advanced

Post by MrChips »

Iv had my wisdoms removed before xmas. I was on the bus tonight and the reactions i was getting was crazy. My mouth was completely shut too. All iv had today was vegetables some fruit and water
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

I've not used mouthwash as frequently these past few days and the PND has decreased???

What's going on there?
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

FedUp wrote:Sounds like you have PND to me.

When you hawk back and you can feel it all trapped between the sinus and throat. Also you can feel it all at the back and bottom of the throat. I find the bottom of the throat is hard to get out but when it finally does it's yellow and kind of lumpy to which then I can taste an eggy smell. Nasal discharge however is clear. I have PND all the live long day. A couple of weeks ago I had a cold and I was amazed because for a few days I was PND free. I mean the freedom and sensation was amazing. I was cycling and I am usually hacking out PND but my whole throat was PND free and it felt very light, However I don't know about my breath. My mouth always feels heavy.

I am going back and fourth about what is causing my BB and I am losing my mind. I still haven't had my CT scan results and I am due for an gastroscopy in 4 weeks time with a follow up to see a gastroenterologist so I feel somewhat good and optimistic at the moment.

But if you feel the lump in throat sensation then it's most likely PND however acid reflux can mimic that sensation.

If you don't have nasal odor you're very lucky, I could only wish to have mouth odor only. In my case my nasal odor is alot stronger than my breath odor. I can *just about* get through work without too much fuss if i stay away from people as much as possible and hold my breath in certain situations (just bullshit we have to go through).

I've suspected that I have PND for a few years now but what I experience isn't as severe as yours sounds. Have you ever had any treatment for your PND?
I don't think I have nasal odour. I can't remember having any reactions with my mouth closed but I guess I'll be looking out for those!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic