Your Email Address:

First Name:

Sickly sweet taste in mouth after eating any food.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
flavouredpig

Sickly sweet taste in mouth after eating any food.

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi,

Does anyone experience a sickly sweet taste in their mouth immediately after eating any kind of food, and that taste stays on your tongue for hours?

Thank you.

Jenc0

Post by Jenc0 »

my taste is always haeavy sour, you got luck if it's sweet.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Jenc0, may i ask you what foods do you eat everyday?
Stankie, i agree with the mints and gum making it worse after the flavour of the mints and gum wears off. Stankie, do you think we might be predisposed to diabetes? (some of the symptoms that i found of diabetes is a sweet taste in the mouth that lasts for hours).
My dad has type 2 diabetes and I am getting my blood tested for it on this coming tuesday.
I also found this website (http://www.steadyhealth.com/constant_sw ... tml?page=3) in which one of the comments say:
The symptoms that are being described point to a condition called ketoacidosis. The condition is typically benign, but it is important to pay attention to it if you are a diabetic. Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a condition caused by untreated hyperglycemia. If you have diabetes, it can present as a life-threatening condition for obvious reasons.

It is not terribly uncommon in individuals who don’t have diabetes. It often manifests when one is particularly dehydrated while still consuming a good deal of sugar in the diet. It is often accompanied by foamy saliva or rope-like saliva. It is generally accompanied by dry-mouth as well.

When talking about the presence of ketones (any of a class of organic compounds containing a carbonyl group, CO, attached to two alkyl groups, as CH3COCH3 or CH3COC2H5) in the body, it is important to think about a few things. Sometimes there is not enough insulin in your blood to deal with the sugar that is also in your blood. This condition is known as diabetes and is easily tested for by processing a clinical blood exam called an A1-C.

For those people who are not diabetic and still experiencing these symptoms, there are answers. When we deprive ourselves of nourishment and hydration, our body basically switches to starvation mode. At this point, a person’s fat supplies become the primary energy source utilized to keep things up and running. Instead of deriving energy from the nutrients we take in from food and water, the body turns the fat into the energy boost. As certain fats are released and used by the cells in the body, they are converted into ketones, which are utilized far slower than they are made. Consequently, ketones become increasingly concentrated in the blood and the levels begin to rise. At this point, because the system is not doing what it is supposed to be doing with food and water, the kidneys activate a mechanism to rid the excessive ketones through the urine. In cases where diabetes is an issue, one will find that glucose begins leaking into the urine as well. This is called renal glycosuria. When this happens, the kidneys are going to begin filtering the fluid you have in your body with a greater efficiency in an effort to expel the ketones in an attempt to regain homeostasis in the body. The problem with this situation is that there is no fluid coming in, so you add to the vicious cycle and further dehydrate yourself.

Ketoacidosis can develop very suddenly over the course of a few hours, depending on the condition of your body. It could take up to several days for it to manifest. While it is not life threatening for those people who don’t have diabetes, it can be a bad sign if you are insulin dependent. You need to look out for the signs:

Dehydration
Excessive thirst
Frequent urination
Occasional vomiting
Nausea
Drowsiness
**Sweet saliva**

Treatment of ketoacidosis in people who are not diabetic is fairly simple. Your body is telling you that you are eating or have been eating a lot of sugar (carbohydrates), but have not been taking in other nutrients in an effort to give the pancreas time to secrete enough insulin to offset the glucose intake. The best thing you can do for yourself is to drink lots of water. This may sound very trite, but we are organisms that are comprised of nearly 90% water. If we do not take in what we put out, the balance in the body is set off significantly. Don’t drink soda, juice, or any of these power drinks on the market. Drink water. Some of the sport drinks are okay, but your body doesn’t have to do anything with water as it is consumed. The more you mess around with liquid, the more tasks you give your body during a time when it needs simple tasks to complete.

The other part of remedying the issue is eating a good balanced meal. Take in some vegetables, meats (or equivalent proteins if you are a vegetarian), and some complex starches. Try to avoid sugary foods, particularly if the sugar is coming from sweeteners. There is sugar and then there is stuff like high-fructose corn syrup, which is going to the extreme.

As the body is rehydrated and has some fuel to use (besides fat), these symptoms are going to resolve on their own. You can test the efficacy of your endeavors by going to the pharmacy and asking for urine analysis strips, or more specifically, urine test strips designed to test for ketones in the urine. They can be purchased over the counter. If you are spilling ketones into the urine, you have an issue and if you cannot resolve it on your own, you need to see your doctor. There should not be any ketones in your urine, as a rule. You can also test your blood glucose levels. Most pharmacies around the country offer free glucose testing. It is always good to go in after having fasted for at least 12 hours so you can get a trough level of glucose in the blood. This number will tell you what your body is doing when it has gone 12 hours without food. With that information, you can better formulate how it is you can change your diet and your fluid intake. The condition will pass if you are vigilant and thorough.

For those individuals who have diabetes, either Type I or II, you need to seek out the care of a doctor should you experience this sweet spit situation.

When in doubt, always keep yourself well hydrated, whether symptoms are present or not. People are amazed at the medical trouble they keep themselves out of by staying well hydrated. Your target range should be no less than ten glasses of eight fluid ounces of water a day.

Note: If you are dieting and are losing more than three pounds per week, you are likely going to be spilling ketones in your urine. This happens when we lose weight, but especially so if we are losing weight because we are not eating. People with eating disorders like anorexia nervosa will have high ketone levels in both the blood and urine. Endeavor not to starve yourself.

Thank you Jenc0 and Stankie for your replies.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

I used to chew a lot of gum two years ago and early last year, then i stopped when i realised that people still put their hands to their nose when i spoke to them with gum in my mouth. Plus it hurt my jaw a lot. Now i don't chew any kind of gum because i want long term fresh breath, rather than temporary.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loyd99
Junior

Post by loyd99 »

this is interesting i get this alot an realise gum doesn't help at all i do also go to the toilet alot and have a big thirst.

the taste changes with what i eat which even more convinces me its some for of inflammation caused probably in my gut giving out signals else where
Jenc0

Post by Jenc0 »

Hi flavour,

my food is regular normal, meat potatoe vegetables- mixed i eat everything...

Taste become strange when i had surgery of tonsils removal a week after surgery my taste started being salty-sour and it take for 2 month now.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Jenc0,

What was the taste in your mouth like prior to having your tonsils removed?
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Stankie,

How is your Paleolithic diet going?

Will cannabis, when taken long term, cause addiction or any health problems (even though it is a medical dose that you're taking and rather than smoking it you use it in a safer way)?
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Stankie,

Poor guy, I feel your pain. Would you like to go on the same diet as me (because I think it is my liver that caused my halitosis even though I haven't seen the results of my liver test yet)?
If you would like to, I can tell you my routine in detail or we could exchange ideas about how to repair a damaged liver. Would you like to?

Thanks Stankie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic